Burnt Ear ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Good thank you, I took the Plaster/dressing off and there's no seeping or Blister yet but it's scabbing up nicely with no reddening anywhere other than the wound, so it worked alright.
cheer's

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I finally had my tetanus jab this morning, I'd asked if they would send it to me so I could do it myself because of the waiting, but they said no, but it's done for another 10yrs now.Bonus

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Why would you think they would allow you to diy a tetanus jab? Are you medically qualified as a nurse or doctor or pharmacist?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why would you think they would allow you to diy a tetanus jab? Are you medically qualified as a nurse or doctor or pharmacist?
Tetanus, like most vaccines, is a prescription dug; but that said, diabetics give ourselves injections at home every day.

Reactions: Bishop

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I gave myself the flu jab yesterday. Qualified for sure, but still 'interesting' to do it on yourself! !

I have a technique inserting needles. I do it very slowly. The total 'pain dose' is the same. a quick insertion or a slow one, and I prefer to space out the sensation!
The worst is when I penetrate the muscle surface. Takes a little extra effort.

A Soviet researcher did that OP on himself in their Antarctica research station I believe?

To be frank, the difficulty is in seeing what you do. Some fancy mirror set up there!
You numb in layers.
Inject anesthetic about 1 cm deep around planned incision, then cut until you start feeling it. Inject again, cut. Inject, cut.

It is a wartime surgery technique. Batallion/regimental level treatment.

Of course, Forest Fella would not do the anesthetic. HeMan!
:)

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
because my Doctor's know me well. but yeah I suppose some people wouldn't have the same idea
I would post you afew of my diy medical procedures but I think I would get told off more.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Santaman That's a wee bit different to a one off jab for something like flu or tetanus. I'm sure that the medics did not just give you a needle and say there you are now go and see how well you get on. You must have been taught and supervised at first untill you were considered proficient and knew what you were doing.
I have been trying to get my flu jab for weeks now. I have had to be considered fit enough since my asthma attack to have it. No chance of a diy even if I could get the stuff. Just not allowed in uk. At least round here it's not.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman That's a wee bit different to a one off jab for something like flu or tetanus. I'm sure that the medics did not just give you a needle and say there you are now go and see how well you get on. You must have been taught and supervised at first untill you were considered proficient and knew what you were doing.
I have been trying to get my flu jab for weeks now. I have had to be considered fit enough since my asthma attack to have it. No chance of a diy even if I could get the stuff. Just not allowed in uk. At least round here it's not.
I had every bit of 10 minutes education before I was sent home. The instructions are on the box.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is easy to inject yourself, if you know exactly where. You have two main 'depths' of injection.
Intramuscular, and subcutaneous. The first one is easier ( unless you are ultra fat) but a tad more painful.

All you need to know is hos to sterilise the skin, how to open the delivery system in a sterile way, how to purge the syringe of air.

Hopefully you do not get an adverse reaction like an anaphylactic shock ( extremely rare).

Then you need to dispose of the delivery system ( =needle) in a safe way, preferably by going to your GP or nearest hospital.

Yes, anybody can do it, but would I recommend it?
No, not really..

Let the nice nurse working for your GP do it, she loves giving injections! :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You should write about your other medical diy.

Superglue is almost the same as the medical one.

Will protect, but surely it can be left to dry and scab over by itself?
Quicker healing!

There is one product that is very good to cover wounds, that is a Spray Plaster.
Easy to apply, flexible.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I don't think I'd be aloud, let alone people wouldn't believe me or they'd just think it was me bragging / trying to look tough and this Forum is for all meaning children as well so I wouldn't want to post some of the picture's of what I've fixed myself.
cheer's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE