Bumble bee mystery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My cousin has bought a rather large "paddling pool" for the kids. (its one of them giant things you see exploding on youve been framed all the time)

Anyway, every morning, there is about a half dozen new drowned bumble bees in it. No other insect keeps drowning in it in droves, just the bumble bees. The bottom of it is blue chequered, but what is attracting this bees and no others?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bees need to drink. If there is no other available water they are probably trying to drink and failing to find something to settle on.

I leave an old dustbin lid tilted on its side with a pool of water and a couple of sticks in. Even with my huge pond with lillies and branches for birds and bees to settle on, the dustbin lid bird bath / bee reservoir sees a lot of use. Leave something in the pool (length of hose etc) the bees can settle on to drink and you may find less drowned ones

Red

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
Bee's I havnt seen any bee is ages, looks like all the ones that have been dispeaing have been finding themslelves drowning in you pool, hahaha

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Bees need to drink. If there is no other available water they are probably trying to drink and failing to find something to settle on.

I leave an old dustbin lid tilted on its side with a pool of water and a couple of sticks in. Even with my huge pond with lillies and branches for birds and bees to settle on, the dustbin lid bird bath / bee reservoir sees a lot of use. Leave something in the pool (length of hose etc) the bees can settle on to drink and you may find less drowned ones

Red

Hmm, it could be, especially as your bees use a bin lid, but I can't help thinking it would be a poor evolutionary design if bee's drowned themselves in deep water for want of a drink on a regular basis. The hosepipe is a good idea though, we should try that.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Another once common creature round my way was the bumble bee,aint seen any round here in years now!:confused:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well we have been fishing the live ones out and letting them dry off in the sun so hopefully the paddling pool of death wont be depleating their numbers too much!

Hmm, it could be, especially as your bees use a bin lid, but I can't help thinking it would be a poor evolutionary design if bee's drowned themselves in deep water for want of a drink on a regular basis. The hosepipe is a good idea though, we should try that.

trouble is in the 100s of 1000s of years of evoloution of the bee few have bumped into deep water with vertical slippery sides so it may be a while before they develop an answer :D

even nature has cottoned onto the idea with pitcher plants

ATB

Duncan

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thats a good point actually, I hadnt imagined them crawling in, I had a picture in my head of them dive bombing it!

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
My cousin has bought a rather large "paddling pool" for the kids. (its one of them giant things you see exploding on youve been framed all the time)

Anyway, every morning, there is about a half dozen new drowned bumble bees in it. No other insect keeps drowning in it in droves, just the bumble bees. The bottom of it is blue chequered, but what is attracting this bees and no others?

Hello Firecrest. It could be the colour of the paddling pool. Certain insects are attracted to certain colours including ultra-violet. For example, spiderwasps, amongst others, have a definite liking for yellow but avoid others. Each insect has its own preference it seems. I can't be certain on this but it could be that the bumblebees are attracted to 'chequered blue' or the ultra-violet wavelength of that 'colour'.

Scrubby

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We have seen an increase in the last few days. Heres one from the front garden tonight...

DSCN2112.jpg

I took both kids out to watch them for a few minutes... lovely creatures (the bees, not the kids:D )

Simon

Jul 9, 2008
Highlands
The drowning thing is not just confined to bees. I kept birds in aviaries for years and always had a large stone in the middle of the water pool or else I would end up with drowned birds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE