Bulgarian Moccasins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
These are a traditional peasant sandal called "Tsârvouli". They are also sometimes known as Bulgarian moccasins. I made these in two hours and to be honest, they are the easiest shoes I've ever tackled. They are also incredibly comfortable - better than my slippers.

Historically, these would be made by every peasant farmer for his family from whatever leather he could find. The originals would have been a single piece and would have worn out fairly quickly, but they are easy to make, use very little leather and can be quickly replaced. I added extra leather outer soles to make them last longer.

They were last used in Bulgarian rural areas in the 1940's when Russian 'influence' persuaded the country folk to buy shoes from the shoe factory. Nowadays they are just used by Bulgarian folk dancers. However, they use modern mass produced tsârvouli with rubber soles.

I made these for my trip to Bulgaria in June. There will be an opportunity to do some archery with a group of Bulgarian re-enactors, and also to do some work at a living craft museum while I am there. I'm going to try and persuade the whole party to make themselves a pair (I'm running a leather craft workshop anyway) so we can all get into kit for the archery event (shooting arrows from a medieval castle walls). We already have kirtles organised, but authentic footwear will make us look better (rather than trainers).

Anyway, here they are.
sm-bulg-moccs003.JPG

sm-bulg-moccs004.JPG

sm-bulg-moccs001.JPG

sm-bulg-moccs002.JPG

sm-bulg-moccs005.JPG

sm-bulg-moccs006.JPG

Eric

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They are not so different to the traditional shoes worn by the Polish highlanders. I just can't find any photos to show you as of now.

freespin

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2008
Washington
Nice work Eric,
I am driving to Bulgaria later today, will definately look more closely at my villager folks feet when there !

regards F

Eric, I know of nobody anywhere who can make mend or do anything like you, nor say "here is a pair of Bulgarian highlander shoes I made earlier..." and to mention that they are off to fire arrows from the ramparts of a Bulgarian castle in Bulgarian dress...

If I didn't know of you and your talents through this site I would have thought this was a newly found monty python sketch!

I love those shoes man, Dandy as aanything but imagine them in forest green with the toes all curled up...I'd wear them for my wildlife watching and they would be a hoot to wear at festivals! ! :You_Rock_

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
They are excellent Eric. Last time I saw anything like that the bloke wearing them was sitting cross legged on a toadstall holding a fishing rod, and wearing a hat with a bell on it...:D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE