building the worlds most iconic Viking ship

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
I wonder if we could get the National Lottery to fund a similar project in York? We could bring some of the experts over, we could train blacksmiths to make the tools and shipwrights to build Viking ships in the Viking capital of England.

All we would need would be a building, a forge, and someone to take lots of money form the tourists. I know I'd pay to be involved.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The beauty of this project was there was no building, just a portacabin for the tools. The boat was built on the patch of grass between a footpath and a hotel right in the centre of the city. Any project like this starts as the dream of one person who talks to a few others and they drive it forwards gathering other influential or skilled folk with them along the way. It could happen in York.....

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Full-size Ferriby Bronze Age boat build is under way at the Maritime Museum, Falmouth, Cornwall. She will be over fifty feet long and weigh around eight tons of carved oak. Did my first afternoon stint on it yesterday carving with a bronze adze. I agree that it is a privilege to work on such a project.

It would be even better in one way if it was built on a foreshore as the originals were but logistics and funding sources prevent this I imagine. I did have plans to build my own very much smaller sewn-plank boat on a Cornish foreshore but it proved impossible. Wonderful to have combined bushcraft and boat-building.

Biker

Damn, that looked like fun to get involved in. Thanks for sharing. That plank is impressive to say the least.

Should the UK be worried Vikings are back on the water? Normandy is still ignorant of this fact but I shall spread the warning... or just stock up on supplies and keep my head down :lmao:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Damn, that looked like fun to get involved in. Thanks for sharing. That plank is impressive to say the least.

Should the UK be worried Vikings are back on the water? Normandy is still ignorant of this fact but I shall spread the warning... or just stock up on supplies and keep my head down :lmao:
The Normans were second generation Vikings.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been watching this project for a while, nice job to work on.

They've improved the geometry from the reconstruction of the original in the ship museum. (They believe the burial ship was warped out of shape by the weight of the earth filling her.)

Still looks like it needs a bit more ballast from that clip though, she would be a real crank sailor in that condition and a bitch to row.

Oh, and the Normans were definitely Viking originally, they just settled down and went a bit French...

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Wow what a creation ^^, beautiful work there amazing project.
cant help but envy you a lil.
Thanks for sharing the lot, really inspiring especially the clamps
Yours sincerely Ruud

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Still looks like it needs a bit more ballast from that clip though, she would be a real crank sailor in that condition and a bitch to row.

I'm glad you mentioned that Gary, I thought it looked like hard work to row

Are there any voyages planned for her or is she destined for a museum?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
She is destined for various trips and in between will be based in Tonsberg, a sort of focal point for the town since the original ship was taken up to Oslo. I presume they did not want to have the strain of ballast on the ship as it was launched, quite a lot of stress. Here is the first ballast arriving, this chap rowed 6 hours to fetch it from his island home.
251865_458984960781086_1196146879_n.jpg

This is facebook group for the boat
http://www.facebook.com/osebergvikingship

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE