Building a Shepherd's Hut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I hope that you have included lots of windows in your design.
I can't imagine getting up in the morning and not being able to look out as the first thing I do. Open the curtains and look out on my way to the bathroom.
Is it really quiet where this build is happening?

Yes RV, windows included :)

And yes, beautifully quiet. I can occasionally hear a tractor working the field in the distance but, other than that, the most 'intrusive' sound is the bird song, ravens, buzzards and woodpeckers drumming :)

The first photograph in post 1 shows the site and the track down through the wood to reach the site. The other two photos show the view in the other direction to the West. The site is on the western edge of the wood and the sun sets down over the pasture fields beyond.

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK. I would bring lots of food and drink and fire fuel. I would like to visit.
Do some wood carvings for decorations. I get mesmerized by places like that.
If I didn't get a damn thing done all day, it would be time well wasted.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The site, at the western end of the wood with great summer late sun. I dug this out a few years ago in anticipation; I wish I had been more careful about getting it flat - it's actually 250mm higher on the right than the left:

View attachment 66975

My initial reaction to seeing that picture was: "****ing hell, that's beautiful"

Good that you've allowed for drainage on the area. I'd love a little cabin in my tiny woods but they're really not mature enough yet to give sufficient cover to make it secluded

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know I promised I wouldn't bore you with daily updates, but I'm pleased with the weekend's progress so I thought I'd show where I'd got to :)

On Saturday my son came over and helped me lift the corrugated roof panels on. This was a job I was dreading because I was sure it was going to be a problem - in the end it was easy!

Today I fitted the main window frame and panelled all of one side - suddenly it look like a hut :)

In the photo below you can see the temporary running boards fitted to enable safe access for lifting the roof and fitting the top panels and the two struts fitted to allow the roof panels to be lifted before manoeuvring onto the roof - all of which will come off now.

shepherds hut 5.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm ready to move in. Do you have to be able to lock the the door to declare the structure a livable hut? I have to ask. What in the design for a bathroom? My guts are on a rapid cycle.
Looks like you could snuggle over to a window and look out at the stars. I love it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quick update:

The studding has gone up, the base floor is in with a membrane under it (the floor will be insulated and planked once the inside is finished), the ridge is in and the 'ceiling' installed. Since this photo the insulation layer has gone over the whole thing ready for me to put the first few planks on each side before the corrugated roof goes on this Saturday.

So far, about 25 hours on my own. Thank heavens for battery powered tools :)

Note to self: next time, clear a much bigger space to work around and MAKE IT FLAT!

View attachment 67018
Loving this thread

Reactions: nigelp

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's looking really good Andy.
Any ideas on exterior colour scheme yet?

The discussion topic of the day Steve!

I want it to blend in, unlike a lot of shepherd's huts, so I was planning on giving it a green treatment coating. However, the 'smooth finished' planking, as opposed to 'rough sawn', doesn't take the stain of the treatment very well and, anyway, I'm no longer sure it's what I want :)

I've coated some test panels; I'll post some photos later and get the collective opinion :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's looking so tempting :)
Good on you having a go at it, and thank you for posting the inspiration too :cool:

Colourwise, we found that the colours that blended in best in the UK's undergrowth were a kind of dark fawn, light OD, and surprisingly, a kind of deepish plum, a matt one.
Be interesting to see what you choose.

M

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Here are the colour samples:

Top left is the bare planed pine. Next right is the green I bought thinking green would blend the best - that's after three coats! Next one is a one-coat finish but it's thick and doesn't penetrate the wood very well. But, I think I'm going off the whole idea of green :(

Bottom left is described as 'dark oak' and next to it is forest oak - but again, the latter doesn't penetrate.

I am verging towards the dark oak; in my experience this will fade to an 'ash grey' after a few years as in the photo below. I know, it's a bit boring, but I really want it to blend in. In the end, it's not the end of the world, I can always change it. What is important is that it's well treated so that it lasts!

hut colours 1.jpg

hut colours 2.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm ready to move in. Do you have to be able to lock the the door to declare the structure a livable hut? I have to ask. What in the design for a bathroom? My guts are on a rapid cycle.
Looks like you could snuggle over to a window and look out at the stars. I love it.

I'm afraid the toilet facilities are 'outside' about 30m downhill from the hut (see below). It's a type of composting toilet that uses the trees around to take up the nutrients. It was the first thing I installed when I bought the wood.

I intend to fit a sink in the hut (fed by a tank uphill) once we've used it 'camping' style to get a feel for how we want to lay it out. And, it will have a log burner with a flat top so I can use it to boil a kettle :)

tree bog.jpg

Reactions: pwb and Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Solid tone and it might stand out like a brick on a lawn. There are no straight edges and square corners in nature. Find some old YouTubes and look at the camo used by military ships at sea. The edges are hard to see.
I'd take some comfort in that if I didn't like the scheme, I could always cover it with something else.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the dark oak too, especially if it fades differentially re the sunlight.
Your woodland looks like the most perfect place :D

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Have you considered creosote?. A dark colour and decent protection, it's a bit smelly to begin with but when you consider modern tanalising for timber is almost worthless it might be an option..

Reactions: Winnet

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The late American actor, Steve McQueen, was quoted once as saying:
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
I think you're going to get your wish!

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE