Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
red, being as you're not entering it, can you send me that "improvised" saw so i can use it as my entry! :rolleyes: :D it's pretty much what i was going to do. a simplified MKII version of this old one. otherwise i'me going to have to come up with some fresh ideas!

svensaw.jpg

svensaw-motise-and-tenon.jpg

svensaw-ring-closeup.jpg

good to see a swiss army knife getting some proper use, one of the greatest bushcraft knives ever! :cool:

edited to add, this saw got a new blade shortly after these photos. it's been through a few scout camps over the last couple of years, the scouts haven't broken it yet, and it's always the one they go for first. adequate proof i reckon that the wooden style is plenty sturdy enough.

cheers, and.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sargey,

yours is better mate! I made two mistakes on mine (at least). The cross member should have been lower and the sockets deeper to avoid the dreaded "twistsing". As in all things, I learn by doing far more than I do by reading or seeing :eek:

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Quick question. - My Bucksaw's coming along nicely. I want to burn in a pattern to the frame, maybe of some leaves, vines etc. Would a souldering iron work OK ? and if so, can anyone recommend a cheap one to get. As I don't do souldering I'll only be using it for burning patterns into any spoons or other wood creations so don't want to fork out loads of money.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
A soldering iron will work fine, but if you haven't already got one then you might as well buy a proper tool. The craft is called Pyrography, there's a basic tool here on Axminster for £13 - looks like it's just what you're after.

Whilst you're on Axminster check out the spoon carving knives and numerous sharpening stones as well - make the most of that postage charge!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Finished at last......
It took me about two days to complete and I am dead chuffed. Big thanks to you Red, I have really enjoyed doing it and I have a working tool too....
Made from oak (nasty wood to carve). I had a delivery of a load of hardwood decking at work, just before christmas and the driver gave me two short lengths of oak to use as bearers under the decking. I thought, ideal, I know what I will use them for.... It was very simple to do, just found carving the oak hard going, found you have to remove it a small bit at a time, or it splits. I did most of the work with my vaughan mini axe, which was kindy re-profiled by Longstrider, I also used my lapp pukko for the ends of the handles. I did use my carpenters chisels for the morticing after drilling holes first. Finished with sand paper and treated with boiled linseed oil. It locks up a treat and has had a small test, and works well....
dsc02976largelv1.jpg

dsc02981largeym6.jpg

Reactions: British Red
Very nice Jon ^^ All i have seen posted so far are great :)

I finally got into the shed today with my beech log i harvested last year, below are the results so far , not quite finished yet though.

here is what i started out with.
DSCF4621.jpg

splitting the log
DSCF4622.jpg

DSCF4623.jpg

Materials cut and ready to begin
DSCF4624.jpg

the saw roughed out and ready for final tweaks and finish
DSCF4626.jpg

the parts.
DSCF4627.jpg

I enjoyed making this and the new saw feels much better to use than the old one and works just as well :)
I learned a lot about my Axe i got at the bushmoot in the summer ,sadly its only the second time i have had chance to use it.
thanks for looking,
John

Reactions: British Red

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Its gona be tough to get anywhere in this comp! The entrys so far are all so good. But I am hoping to get in the shed this week end.
Fingers crossed !
Chris

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have to say those last two entries (messrs Singeblister and Pickett) are really raising the bar here! Jon's decoration on the tensioning bar plus the scroll work and Johns "Log to saw" transition are both highly inspirational.

The combined skill and wisdom of this group never fail to exceed my expectations!

Gents - I am humbled

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It wouldn't be a thread on wood working without you Eric - If you can post a pic before the end of January (and knowing you, you could before the end of December :D), your entry would be very much appreciated

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Big John said:
A soldering iron will work fine, but if you haven't already got one then you might as well buy a proper tool. The craft is called Pyrography, there's a basic tool here on Axminster for £13 - looks like it's just what you're after.

Whilst you're on Axminster check out the spoon carving knives and numerous sharpening stones as well - make the most of that postage charge!!

Thanks Big John, that looks like the chicken :) and £13 quid is fine. Info much appreciated sir.

Jon Pickett very nice saw. It looks old and traditional although you've only just carved it. :eek: Well done. I'm doing a bit of pattern burning myself, so will be challenging you :D . Mines pretty much finished except the pattern. Looking forward to seeing all the other entries from the folks who've said they're entering.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
After seeing Reds hazel bow saw, and a few others, I thought I'd have a go at one first, before trying somethings more elaborate. :rolleyes:

First try using thinnish Hazel, and once partially complete and tensioned, the thin hazel shows it's flaws, it's bending right on the tension point.
It did cut reasonably though, but the blade was flexing rather a lot?? :( :(

So back to the woods for thicker Hazel, or I might try one with some Maple I've been giving for christmas...ummmmm

Attachments

• bow1.jpg
    bow1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 73
  • bow2.jpg
    bow2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 51
  • bow3.jpg
    bow3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 50
  • bow4.jpg
    bow4.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 65

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Like all things mate it seems easy until you try huh :(

I'm certainly going to try another couple of improvisations since theres no point in carrying the blade unless I can knock up a frame fast and well. Its more "adequate and slow" right now with me sadly

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
A few of the Hazel bow saws that have been posted have only one cross beam and people have said they are unstable, Try using 2 pieces of hazel for the cross beams in a sideways 'V' shape. like this................ l<l ..............or this........... l>l - there's a picture in Mors K's book Bushcraft if you have a copy.
Taper 2 pieces so they fit flush at one end spreading out to form the 'V on the other. You can bind the 2 cross beams with cord it's a bit hard to describe in writing. I'll knock one up and post a picture when I post my final bucksaw picture although the hazel bucksaw won't be my entry, it'll just be for showing you 'how to' I know others on here can do this, so if anyone's got any piccies :rolleyes:

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
thats what i ws trying to achieve here

DSC00057.jpg

i was a bit short on height though, and didn't want to make the saw too high, so placed the top rail straight, hopefully this will have the same affect

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
When does the comp finish chaps?

The Cherry tree I was going to make my saw out of is still growing in mums garden!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE