Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats a classy looking saw skanker! Teak as well - something rather nice about that!

Lovely work mate - well impressed!

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out of the competition. I haven't got much done yet as I've been sick this week and busy at work the rest of the time.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Ok here’s my entries for the Bucksaw competition.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1806&cat=500&ppuser=161

The first is a hazel framed affair a’la Mors K’s book Bushcraft. Page 142
The beauty of this version is you only need take the blade with you and build the frame on site with hazel, ash etc or whatever is available. After harvesting the wood (hazel) it took me half an hour to make the whole thing as you see it here, ready to cut logs.

The 2nd entry is my colapsable version.
This can be taken with you in a cloth or leather bag and can be put together ready to go in under a minute. It’s made of pine from B and Q and cost me a little over £5 for materials. It’s very lightweight ( a little over 700 grams ) so less than a kilogram including blade, and very rigid with a robust feel to it once tensioned. In keeping with multi-purpose kit you can also use the ends and crossbar as improvised clothes hangers to dry your clothes over the fire by suspending from the middle of the bars with some cordage, and the cord used for tensioning is ample long enough to use for bow drill fire lighting. Hell you could stir your bannock mixture with the tensioning paddle too (while I'm on a roll) C’mon I’ve got to sell it havn’t I?
I’ve recessed the hand hold areas on both sides for a better and more comfortable grip.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1807&cat=500&ppuser=161

and folded down.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1808&cat=500&ppuser=161

British Red.
I've tried to post links to the gallery within this post, If this goes horribly wrong once I've hit the submit button. Can I ask you to do the honours again please kind Sir, and put them in the thread. I'm really not technical enough on computers :confused: :confused: :confused:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chrisansons saw...........

phpmTDsRgAM.jpg

phpJRdHXsAM.jpg

php2YLg54AM.jpg

phpHZaswDAM.jpg

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
British Red said:
Falling Rains Entries

The Kochanski.....

Pict3086.jpg

The "Orange Apron" :D

Pict3087.jpg

Pict3091.jpg

Red

Thanks BR........you're a star.......and I'm a poet......and I didn't know it. :confused:
:eek: eeerrrmmmm. 'Orange apron' :confused:

Also thanks again for taking this on (organising the competition) it's just what we need. And people taking part in things, and kind hearted folks taking the trouble to organise things is great for the forum well done dude :You_Rock_

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Right....got your meaning now. Well I'm being honest about where I got my wood from.......and it's still cheaper than certain websites offering similar ready made versions, albeit maybe not quite the same craftsmanship. I made this with my bushcraft knife and....yes I admit it....... a black and decker for the holes for the cordage and wing nuts and bolts to go through. :rolleyes: anyway
Cheers again for getting this together.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
falling rain said:
Right....got your meaning now. Well I'm being honest about where I got my wood from.......and it's still cheaper than certain websites offering similar ready made versions, albeit maybe not quite the same craftsmanship. I made this with my bushcraft knife and....yes I admit it....... a black and decker for the holes for the cordage and wing nuts and bolts to go through. :rolleyes: anyway
Cheers again for getting this together.
:D

I don't think the broom handles in mine were exactly wild grown either mate ;)

Wood is wood and good seasoned stuff for making a long term saw from makes complete sense to me

Red

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here's my other saw, if there's a spare place.

saw3.jpg

Cherry wood this time and only a 12" blade. It will take a standard hacksaw blade too (with smaller bolts).

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Working on phase 2 now, in the warm garage with some nice bits of wood i had for christmas, should be ready soon, then i'll get some pickies in.

The Hazel version I tried, snapped on one of the uprights, probably too much tightening! doh :rolleyes: , so i'll fix that too, and make it more in line withs Mors' bucksaw.

The competitions looking really good, there are some superb examples on the thread already, nice work everyone! :You_Rock_

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
What's the John Dory ?, :red: ..............................What's the Bobby Moore ? :red: :red:
I was just wondering how many finished entries we have so far and when does the voting start. ? :red:

Well I haven't gotten anywhere due to other things coming up one after the other, so late entires can take my place.
The main thing for me is not only that I couldn't compete with the great entries (really!), but that I believe that this is one of the most enjoyable threads I've ever seen. It's fantastic to see so many neat designs put into reality.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi Red, All,

Unfortunately I'm going to have to pull out of this competition, I just havn't had time to get on with it and next weekend isn't looking any better either :( .

Back in December when I signed up, the end of January seemed so far away!

I still plan on making one, and I'll post pics when I finally get there. There have been some fantastic entries which have given me plenty of ideas.

So, there is a spare space, I think there's a waiting list for places so I'll let Red say who's first in line.

Thanks again Red for organsing it and my apologies for ducking out,

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Patience young Skywalker......

I promised everyone till the end of January to get their entries in so theres just 8 days to go........

Still plenty of time including one more weekend for anyone tempted to try their hand

Red

Edit to say - sorry - forgot to tick the box - thsi was in response to FR :rolleyes:

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
British Red,

this has been a great competition to enter, it's really inspired me to have a go, thank you very much for setting it up. :You_Rock_

Okay here they are, my main entry is a bucksaw made from Sapele, this was some wood I was given for christmas, as part of a bundle of various types. It cuts and shapes very well, and was a pleasure to work with, I've smoothed and sanded it all down, then finished with wax to bring out the colours of the wood.
It feels like a well balanced saw, and I'm quite proud of it, it cuts well too!

Also is a remake of my Hazel bucksaw, for this I took your advice and used a double brace, and slightly thicker hazel. It too turned out much better, and cuts fine.

Hope you like the saws, and lets hope everyone else does too! :)

Attachments

• Bucksaw_Sapele1.jpg
    Bucksaw_Sapele1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Bucksaw_Sapele2.jpg
    Bucksaw_Sapele2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Bucksaw_Hazel1.jpg
    Bucksaw_Hazel1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Bucksaw_Hazel2.jpg
    Bucksaw_Hazel2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 67

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE