Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some of you may remember a thread we did a short while ago entitled "pimp my firesteel"

It all came from a discussion about how to handle your own firesteel

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=12957

In turn it spawned a competition with a prize kindly donated by Graham - won with a beautiful "faux" tortoiseshell number made by Marts

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=15066

Well a recent thread started to discuss the ease, simplicity or otherwise of building a bucksaw (think a collapsible bowsaw that can fit in a bergan).

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17086

So here we are again...time for a competiton. For all of us who think "wow thats hard to do", hopefully the entries will encourage us to have a try

For all of those who think "simple as...don't get what the fuss is all about"..here's an opportunity to win a small prize and show the rest of us how its done.

Anyone interested in entering, stick your name on the thread and please, show us both "how" you built it and the end result.

Prize will come from me...I'll think of something....I have a couple of interesting and under used axes if anyone would like another axe to play with :confused: :lmao:

OKay...entrants have a couple of weeks to stick a post on here

Anyone up for the challenge?

Red ;)

Oh and in answer to the questions raised, sure you can buy a blade :rolleyes: and any other bolts or whatever you need. If you want to make one out of aluminium or GRP, thats fine too - the more variety the better - lets let our imaginations run riot here

Photos of all entry pieces to be posted on this thread by January 31st - best 10 will then go forward to the "final" to be voted on by the board

Reactions: JonnyP

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yup.....I'm in. Although Wayland has got me seriously worried already, talking about making his own blade :eek: ..........oh well in for a penny in for a pound :beerchug:

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I've been asked to make one for a friend so I may as well put a photo in the competition. That'll put a rush on it then!

Can't wait to see all the entries. :lurk:

p.s.

Are we limited to one entry? I have a couple ideas to try.

P.P.S.

When is the deadline? I have to carve some squirrels first.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent :D

Okay, heres a prize possible if anyone would like such a thing?

marbleszx9.jpg

This is a Marbles no.9 hunters axe. Double bit and re-ground into a Nessmuk grind and polished up a bit by me. I've oil finished the handle too. It has a leather belt mask to keep it safe.

The winner will be selected by poll of the members. If there are more than 10 entries with supporting photos (the maximum number in a poll) then we'll shortlist 10 for the "finals"

Hope that suits as a token prize?

Red

Reactions: leon-1

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Weaver,

Absolutely no limit on the number of entries - the more the merrier for me - this is about trying stuff out and sharing ideas and just plain "having a go and showing what we can do"

Red

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just as a matter of interest, how long is the standard blade on one of those?

Centre to centre on the holes that is.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goose said:
Doesn't that get a little messy? :yikes:
No mate its a very frugal past time ;)

Weaver,

Lets say a deadline of the end of January to make the saw although earlier pictures to keep the thread alive would be great!

Red

Snow is deep here, but I've been eying some broken maple chairs which have had fifty years of seasoning... I'll leave you guys to win the hatchet, but i am interested in making a frame which is very deep. With that I can cut better sections from trunk/root parts of driftwood as with Dick Prenneke. Very tough curly grain in those.
Hint - a look on ebay in collectibles -tools-woodworking-saws will show some neat long tenon designs and double braced designs to copy...

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
any good sources for the blades? This is really the first time the idea has occurred to me and i've nover looked before :eek:
Just hopeing someone else has done all the hard work :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE