Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Superb work there queeg. Is there any chance you can insert the phots in "viewable" form (without clicking) - it'll really help when I assemble them for the final poll ! The Sapele one is absolutely gorgeous :eek:

I'm bopping around Friday to Tuesday so I'll get to doing the polls as soon as I can after that.

To all the guys who haven't found the time - no worries on my side - we have had an amazing number and quality of entries and they are all superb - ranging from the truly intricate, through the imaginative to the simple and highly bushcrafty. As always, I am stunned by the quality of the membership here. I only wish I had more prizes to give out!

Thanks a load guys - and may the best saw win (still a few days for an entry mind you)

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
BR,

I think the real prize is knowing that we can make our own kit as well as any available on the market.

And you are "the man" for helping us to realize that! :You_Rock_

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
weaver said:
BR,

I think the real prize is knowing that we can make our own kit as well as any available on the market.

Fully agree......

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
arrhhh! didn't work again....... here's attempt number 3!

Bucksaw_Sapele1.jpg

Bucksaw_Sapele2.jpg

Bucksaw_Hazel1.jpg

Bucksaw_Hazel2.jpg

Hurray at last, modern technology eh, here i come screaming and kicking into the modern world! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
queeg9000 said:
arrhhh! didn't work again....... here's attempt number 3!

Bucksaw_Sapele1.jpg

Hurray at last, modern technology eh, here i come screaming and kicking into the modern world! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Nice curves there Queeg, reminds me of a girl I once knew! :naughty:
Seriously though, nice grain and colour.

Ogri the trog

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Nice one Ogri, do i know her too?

and cheers again Red, what a great competition, superb, we'll all have to get together and saw some wood, and drink some beers! :beerchug: maybe at one of the moots?

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks Woodwalker,

they're both quite solid, there's more twist in the Hazel version, but it cuts fine, not quite as much tension in the blade though, the Hazel was green so a bit bendy!

The Sapele is lovely and strong, and cuts great, I hope to get some good service out of it, it was fun to make too, now I'm looking at other things to try.............ummmmm :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
queeg9000 said:
cheers again Red, what a great competition, superb, we'll all have to get together and saw some wood, and drink some beers! :beerchug: maybe at one of the moots?

Nothing to thank me for mate - you did all the work :You_Rock_

As for the moots - sadly, I doubt it. I'm an old country boy and don't do crowds - a few friends in the woods but not crowds. We are having a meet of friends for our winter get together that has got as many as 20 now. I'm thinking of pulling out as 20 in 50 acres is too many for me!

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
weaver said:
BR,

Couldn't agree more! :cool:

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
had a look at those wire saws with handle at each end www.equipped.com/saws.htm
Used mysterious thing inside the skull a little bit, went to the scrap bin, got a worn out saw chain and attached steel rings to it. So far nothing worth mentioning.

Step 2 was just attaching 3 tubes (old bicycle frame etc.) or sticks plus something as a tensioner.

Very sad of not having a digicam - need the money to invest in Sweden (Gränsfors) and Finland (Roselli)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You must have a friend with a camera in their phone cyclist surely? Its a saw competition not a photograhy one so any old image will do! You've got two whole days to get a picture :D

Sorry to hear about your workshop Wayland - not too much damage I hope?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
RING RING

Last orders ladies and Gentlemen Please

Can I have your glasses PLEASE

Lets see someone explain that to the people who aren't British :D

Red

K

kobalt01

Here is my entry. After cutting time rather finely i finished it. It still needs a bit of tuning not really a prisewinner i guess but a very sturdy working saw.
Its made from Oak. With a 21" Blade so you can guess the dimensions

The saw together
mattsaw001pd3.jpg

Half folded
mattsaw008cn1.jpg

Here are the parts
mattsaw015yc6.jpg

Fully folded (the blade is protected by the cross bar)
mattsaw011zs4.jpg

Thanks for organising this and getting me doing this :You_Rock_

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE