bug out bag......what to put in it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not smoking indoors is without question, we are used to that here, but alcohol kept in small leakproof containers like hip flasks don't have to be swigged, the contents just need to be tipped in a cup as many people carry those anyway for day to day consumption and I certainly do when I am out fishing or camping in the middle of nowhere, it does brighten the mood when it is cold and wet. But I hardly think everyone is going to be watching everyone else in case they snook in illicit contraband, most likely they would be tending to their own affairs, but what do I know beyond common sense, I have not experienced such conditions that would merit such a move as bugging out to a safe location en masse as living on one's own one tend to look after oneself and food....

Quite right most evacuees would be busier tending to their own affairs. That said the shelter management would be very vigilant. As to seeing to your own food and water, the shelters provide little (if any) food. You're expected to bring your own. Blankets as well. They are exactly what the name implies, "shelters." A solid building in which to take shelter from the storm's fury. They "might" have limited supplies of food and blankets but it would indeed be very, very limited.

Just checking the weather channel now and the advisories for those in the Keys (and a bit farther north in Dade County) are as follows: If sheltering in place, stock at least 3 days food and water; if evacuating, take at least 2 WEEKS food and water! And Isaak's barely expected to be a Cat 1 when it hits the Keys.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...As to searches, one must accept the likelihood of a pat down at such places as airports prior to boarding an aircraft because of security implications, such practices can be employed anywhere where there is authority, but the US I understand there is more to worry about than fags and booze for in Florida do you not have a stand your ground law in operation and where unhappy worried people are congregated in less than ideal conditions tensions rise.

Even without the "stand your ground" law the right to keep and bear arms has been in place over 225 years. The New Orleans police department had a great many officers fired after Katrina for confiscating legally owned firearms (a few officers are doing prison time as a result) That said, generally weapons are not allowed in a shelter under the same principle as alcohol or tobbacco; the shelter isn't mandatory so you have the choice of going elsewhere. As most shelters are in public school buildings (as I previously pointed out) weapons are prohibitted on the grounds, by law, whether there is a disaster or even in normal operations.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Very good post!

Britain is full of them - they can see the economy doing worse, things having to be cut back etc. but somehow, they can't actually put anything in place to make sure they and their families will be okay if things take a turn for the worse.

Well, I hope they aren't shown up to be foolish....but I fear otherwise

Unfortunately the majority of my generation and younger just seem to walk around life thinking they are owed something, or that they'll get bailed out by something or someone if they struggle.

It's like most of them have looked how expensive say a house is and have just given up before they even started, if someone does manage their money and look after it they're then ridiculed and pointed out as being rich snobs.

A case in point are one of my mates parents.
They moved to England from India with the clothes on their back and nothing else.

Both parents worked 16 hour days 6 days a week and spent as little as they could.
They then pulled resources with other family members and bought a house, cash.
They then continued penny pinching and saving until they had enough money between the family to buy a petrol station.

I say petrol station, it was really just derelict.

They work till their fingers literately bled rebuilding it, doing as much work themselves as they could.
Once it was up and running the family again pulled together and worked 24 hours a day 7 days a week keeping it open.

They then continued penny pinching and saving and bought a local shop, then another petrol station and then a car spare parts shop.

They now have over 20 car spares shops around the country, they have several petrol stations and other businesses that employ and have invested in the local infrastructure.

Yet there is not a month goes by that some idle good for nothing jerk doesn't spray something like Pakis out on their properties, or that they're ridiculed locally.

Funny thing my mates Dad is now comfortably wealthy to the point where he doesn't have to work a day in his life.
Yet he STILL works 16 hour days, he rarely buys anything new, and doesn't buy a car unless it's 10 years old.

Just seems to me that too many folks these days want as much as they can with as little effort, get rich quick no matter how you do it, loose weight quick no matter how it screws up your body, folks can't even be bothered sitting out in the sun doing nothing anymore, preferring a tan to be sprayed on :censored:

Then these folks hero worship these other talentless jerks that have done absolutely nothing in life and offer absolutely no gain to society, meanwhile shunning the likes of my mates Dad who i see as one of the best role models you can find.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think the best situation to be for TEOTWAWKI is heavily debt because no one is going to be able to collect.

That being said, ASDA not infrequently resort to the old pre chip and pin credit card fall back machine at the garage near me.

Currency, pre credit is essentially a system of tokens and anything will do so long as it is agreed upon. Stocking up on cigarettes and booze for trade might not be such a bad idea. Antibiotics is also a good one qv Harry Lime.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
A supply of common household medicines might not go amiss, paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen and possibly some strong ones too codeine, ora-morph etc, graned the later 2 are controlled drugs but in the event on social breakdown or what-have-you, i can't see anyone giving a damn.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
The failure of society I lay squarely at the feet of social engineering, where situations where created where children suddenly had rights and parents and teachers none, children were pushed forward and all the old respects pushed backwards and with that discipline took a back step, parents were too scared to discipline their kids for fear of authorities getting involved and teachers were prohibited and so children grow up thinking basically they are gods and the purpose of society is to look after them like their parents did.

Then we have the break up of fiscal responsibility with the financial institutions coming out with such ridiculous ideas as buy now and pay later and the instant credit that was always available even to the bad risks that in the past lenders had the good sense to leave well alone, but now it seems, well not up till the financial collapse in '08, then there is how credit cards are used now, whereas in the past the interest rate was so high you made damned sure you paid off the loan that month, as to leave it, meant financial problems with accrued high interest.

People, most just went with the flow, and did what everyone else did thinking as long as they are able to pay a bit a month to the loans everything will be okay, people didn't bank on a world financial collapse that has come to affect everything including employment.

Then there is the media, we live in a media rich society where we are taught to worship celebrity and we are being constantly brainwashed into buying the latest gadget because we just must have it to be complete, but I see the constant buying of what amounts to junk as people are trying to fill a hole in their lives as though something is missing and perhaps that thing that is missing is quality of life and too much time on one's hands.

Yep, what I have been prepping for is financial collapse and I still do so, not in saving money, one cannot on what I am on, but I clue up on what I can do without spending money and despite being unemployed, I have no debts, I paid them all off then destroyed my credit card and so everything I do come to buy, the biggest bill being food, I buy with what I have, the contents of my bank account, nothing else. I don't have the money for something it is either save for it or tough and of things I like and would like to get, I let it go for a few weeks and if I am still interested I may buy if I have the cash, if not it is save for it, but I will not take out loans or get involved with credit again.

Money is the motivating factor, finance goes pear shaped, everything else will follow.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

OK, Wayland, I give up :surrender: ... even my retired govt scientist hubby can't answer ... what are "[FONT=&quot] beta lights and photon type torches ( 1 red, 1 UV ) " in your snugpak ??? [/FONT]

I thought all light was about photons ... is it a Star Trek ray gun ??? Or should I ask Scottie ???

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I think beta lights are thos tiny (and very faint) torches that use some sort of radioactive material to produce light - some sort of full on luminous paint. Had one in the army yonks ago. Goodness knows what he wants 2 for, let alone a UV one...
Would like to know.....

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I think beta lights are thos tiny (and very faint) torches that use some sort of radioactive material to produce light - some sort of full on luminous paint. Had one in the army yonks ago. Goodness knows what he wants 2 for, let alone a UV one...
Would like to know.....

You're right. I had a beta light back in the 80's when I was a cadet. One of the items I was glad to bin tbh. It was used for map reading in the dark, but good Lord, you better hope you had good eyes as it didn't put out much light at all.

Not one of my better purchases from Survival Aids really.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
This thread although having some polarised views and some vitriol has made me think about what might happen and what would I do, something I have never really done before in a home setting; so that can only be a good thing. A plan is always the best prep for any kind of situation. I don't think for me it is worth getting things together in one place or apart from some limited circumstances actually acquiring stuff just in case.

I don't have a "Bug out bag" but I have a fair idea of what I would throw in one if I did need to evacuate. As I think about it there is a lot of stuff around that would be appropriate depending on the circumstances. In my work car I have a bag with clothes and toiletries for 3 days but that's pretty much a requirement. I do have a bag that contains a lot of outdoor stuff in my everyday car and there is a lot of stuff there could also prove useful (FAKs, water, chargers, clothes boots food etc) and it's where I keep the Sat phone but they are not there for the end of the world, I have considered getting stranded in snow.

The only "Disaster prep" I have at home is based on 2 things that have actually happened so I have 120 litres of Diesel and 100 litres of drinking water in the garage as well as a couple of rain butts. The Landie is nearly always put away with a full tank (120 litre). I do obviously have a number of ways of purifying water, cooking and keeping warm without mains power and my fair share of long life food and rations based on my hobbies and I imagine a fair few people do here. I also hate shopping so tend to buy in bulk which means I have plenty opf everything. As for important documents; I do keep copies on Micro SD cards and in the cloud as well as at work.

I joined here because occasionally I wanted to go lower tech when out and about but that is for fun not for necessity. I have done a couple of survival courses but unless you are engaged in E&E behind enemy lines they are not very relevant for actual survival anymore. I do have a "survival kit" that does come with me to some pretty remote places around the world and there are no snares or fishing lines in sight.

Last edited:

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I live too near Central London to bug out (Croydonites would already have blocked all the roads) and with a wife, 2 kids, and a father-in-law and Brother-in-law to look after its impratical, so Bugging in is the answer.

The scenarios where this might be needed are not unlikely in a major city if Electricity fails we have no heating, lighting or cooking we had this for most of a day recently.

If it's a large scale failure the trafic lights be out and the roads will be gridlocked so no food deliveries the supermarkets hold a few days stock so with a mild bit of panic buying there will be no food.

When the resovoir empties there will be no water we had this one Sunday last year Thames water took a while to marshall help.

Major Cities run so close to capacity it takes very little for them to falter, this winter we will have a bit of snow and the side roads will become impassable gridlocking the major ones and dropping speeds to around 1mph like every year.

It seems sensible to keep a small gas camping stove, 20ltrs of water, some torches and a wind up radio in the house and a Hi-viz jacket and my Boots in the car..............

I'll risk Zombie Attack

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
There are 65 million people crowded into this small little island with its creaking infrastructure and two good roads going north and south.

Compare that to 22 million in Australia, or even the vast USA, which has 6 times the population of that of the UK, but fully 40 times the landmass. The question I'd like to ask is this:

Where do people 'bugging out' in the UK actually think they are going to go?

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The Gorms......

Totally possible if your close enough to begin with, and you and I both are, but there isnt much wild to eat once you get there. Pack supplies would be the mantra for that one :)

All those not living in the north though, and that leaves 59 million people, my question stands, where on earth do they think they are going to go?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sorry, a bit tongue in cheek. Just watching National Geographic Doomsday Preppers.

I was up in the Tarmachan ridge hills yesterday and thigh deep drifts etc. And could still access water.

My attitude is to have some candles and enough tinned food for a day or two but when I lost electricity a few years ago for 6 hours in the street, we ended up just going to the cinema.

I think lack of elec. power is the biggest thing along with fresh water. Staying in your house is going to be the warmest and dryest shelter.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
There are 65 million people crowded into this small little island with its creaking infrastructure and two good roads going north and south.

Compare that to 22 million in Australia, or even the vast USA, which has 6 times the population of that of the UK, but fully 40 times the landmass. The question I'd like to ask is this:

Really depends on what's happened.

Over here by far the biggest risk is earthquakes, WHEN a big one happens it'll flatten pretty much everything, rip water pipes and drains apart and down power lines.
In that case my highest priority is to get away from built up areas for sanitation reasons and go to a clean fresh water supply.

If as is happening over there recently your house is flooded then it might be better if you can simply go up a floor till the water recedes.

If high winds rip your roof off then staying at a mates or family members might be the best option till it's fixed.

In any situation i personally believe that having a bag or 2 with emergency supplies, copies of important documents, back up's of important files, required medication etc would make things a LOT less stressful.

Even if your only moving upstairs in your own house, having everything you need in one bag will make things a lot easier.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't have a "Bug Out Bag" as such, but I do have a "Working away from home and living in the back of a van for a week bag" which I suppose amounts to about the same thing.

Spare clothes, wash kit, sleeping bag. I suppose if I needed a stove cos I've got enough of em.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

As cbr6fs stated, it depends on just why you're evacuating. If something large enough to affect the whole country occurs you're quite right. But just as you ask if it's realistic to be able to evacuate in such a situation, I have to ask if that big a disaster is a realistic scenario? I think most disasters are more localized (the hurricanes over her affecting several states at a time not withstanding)

- Flooding would more likely only affect a particular drainage zone. Therfore to higher ground or as cbrsf said an upper floor.
- A chemical spill is also localized and likely only requires you to move a few miles upwind
- An extended power failure? Well I've got to ask; is it really likely for it to be one big enough to affect the entire country? Or would you be able to evacuate to another, unaffected area? Or even to a publicly ran shelter with emergency generators?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE