bug out bag......what to put in it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bilko 123

Aug 13, 2009
warrington
Ok just been given a snugpack response pack, so I'm looking at using it for a bug out pack.
Here's some kit I'm thinking of putting in it.

DD hammock and tarp.
Mora mini knife.
Flint and steel and tinder.
Dry rations.
First aid kit.

So who else has one and what's in yours.

Cheers Neil.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
.Hi if its a grab bag for real 2012 stuff then id ditch the hammock and take a metal container for boiling water or even two that nest in one another. Also id swap the flint and steel for a firesteel.
Or do you mean a bag to grab for a quick nights camp

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Extra cordage, something to cook on and in, emergency blanket/survival bag, maybe a pocket sharpener
for the Mora....
I also carried a compass, snaplights, flint (as opposed to piezo ignition) lighter(s), as well as other fire
enhancing items such as stay-lit candles, cotton wool/vaseline...etc etc etc....
Could end up being a BIG list....:p :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't keep one pre-packed but my packing list is geared towards evacuation in case of natural disaster (Hurricane Isaak is approaching as we speak) Therefore I include the following:

-Nonperishable food or rations
-A non-electric can opener (a P38, or SAK is fine)
-Blanket or sleeping bag
-Prescription meds
-Extra clothing
-Flashlight
-Battery powered radio
-Cash (important because during power outages bank cards won't work)
-Vital phone numbers (relatives, insurance agents, Dr., etc)
-Important papers (Deeds, Insurance cards, etc.)
-Games for the kids (if you ever spend time in a hurricane shelter with kids you'll know why)
-Extra batteries (for radio, phone, flashlight, EVERYTHING you have that uses batteriies)
-Dog food and supplies
-Dogs' shot records

Other preparations:
-Fill all gas tanks before the storm (and get enough for emergency generator for a week)
-Collect enough water for at least one gallon per person, per day for at least 3 days (3 gallons per person, per day, for a week would be better) and enough water for the dogs

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
sandbags, empty or full, failing that use pillowcases and fill with dense soil. an emergency flare/stobe/laser might also be handy as it would be more visible should have to to take the the rooftops to avoid floodwater

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
What's a bug out bag?

If you want a really entertaining evening go and type "bug out bag" into YouTube and see all the strange people with their collections of mayhem for when T****/TEOTWAWKI ( really - look 'em up! ) who are all scared about the impending zombie apocalypse ...... not sure why really, all the zombies appear to be too busy making and posting videos to YouTube to be any real danger!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really, where exactly do the government publish this nationwide advisory notice?

Don't know about the UK, but over here it's not the government. It's the Red Cross that publishes the lists. Although I suppose the weather service counts as "the government" so yes, they do as well. So do the local governments in areas prone to natural disasters. I'm alternately watching the weather channel and various official advisories on local channels regarding Hurricane Issak as we speak.

And my local amateur radio club has already been contacted by the county's "Emergeny Action Center" for assistance when the communications go down.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Don't know about the UK, but over here it's not the government. It's the Red Cross that publishes the lists. Although I suppose the weather service counts as "the government" so yes, they do as well. So do the local governments in areas prone to natural disasters. I'm alternately watching the weather channel and various official advisories on local channels regarding Hurricane Issak as we speak.

And my local amateur radio club has already been contacted by the county's "Emergeny Action Center" for assistance when the communications go down.

The OP lives in Warrington, mate. I must have a quick look at ceefax :rolleyes:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have one, and whatever goes in it is what is suitable for the occasion, mainly I use it for keeping things together I might otherwise misplace when I am camping. My actual "bug out bag" is a Tesco Rucksack which has in it what I would have liked to have taken when I actually had to "bug out"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The OP lives in Warrington, mate. I must have a quick look at ceefax :rolleyes:

Yeah. I'm imagining most scenarios in the UK would be better prepared for by planning to shelter in place than by evacuation. Your archtecture is a bit more solid and your weather less vilonet; I imagine disruption of services and food to be more likely than destruction of housing there.

That said, weather patterns are changing, and there's always the possibility of some type of leak or explosion (think of the gas mains or a chemical rail car derailment) that might neccesitate an evacuation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE