bug out bag......what to put in it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well my local council have this site with assorted advice
http://www.bllrf.org.uk/get_ready/public.php

Good link. I'm glad to say that the advice about shelters not accepting pets is becoming obsolete over here. Katrina and Ivan taught them that pets needed to be accomadated also. While I have matches in my kit, I'd be leery of using them if the water supply is interupted; the official agencies over here advise against using even candles due to the ineffectiveness of the Fire Department without access to pressurized water.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah. I'm imagining most scenarios in the UK would be better prepared for by planning to shelter in place than by evacuation. Your archtecture is a bit more solid and your weather less vilonet; I imagine disruption of services and food to be more likely than destruction of housing there.

That said, weather patterns are changing, and there's always the possibility of some type of leak or explosion (think of the gas mains or a chemical rail car derailment) that might neccesitate an evacuation.

We do get a good few scenarios where its useful though...

We had a big oil refinery fire a while back that involved many evacuations
Large scale flooding from Carlisle to Boscastle (North England to the extreme South)
Even some riots where a night in a quiet hotel would make sense rather than staying home perhaps.

As others have said, for me its more about a change of clothes, some money, a back up copy of important papers, a little food and the ability to make a brew.

Red

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I think the whole concept is absolutely mental. Pretty much the same as survival tins, but on a bigger scale. Where exactly do people plan to go once they've 'bugged out' in the UK?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think the whole concept is absolutely mental. Pretty much the same as survival tins, but on a bigger scale. Where exactly do people plan to go once they've 'bugged out' in the UK?

Ideally to whatever shelters the authorities see fit to open; over here the counties and cities usually open the public schools (particularly the school gymnasiums) as official shelters, with the Red Cross assisting. Otherwise to stay with relatives who live away from the affected evacuation area. Or even as Red posted, in a hotel outside the affected area.

I agree the TEOTWAWKI or Zombie Appocalypse scenarios are fantasy, but natural disasters and major accidents do indeed happen. Over here (at least in Florida) it's mostly hurricanes; there I remember mostly snow emergencies as far as natural events go. As Red mentioned, floods are also possible (even probable from time to time) there and here. Out West wildfires are a real threat; I don't remember that ever occurring in the UK but I wouldn't want to rule it out, especially if you ever get periods of drought.

Apparently from some of the links posted, the UK authorities, and local counsels also have some concerns.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would also bring a pack of cigs and and some alcohol as trade items. The alcohol if 75% or more can be used as fuel in a penny stove as well.

Most (if not all) shelters prohibit tobbacco and alcohol.

Last edited:

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
That would be:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/content/community-resilience
http://www.direct.gov.uk/preparingforemergencies

I'm sure they had a bug-out bag guide on there as well but i can't for the life of me find it.

Probably took it down as not to encourage people to carry knives.

But tame though old Blighty might be, we still do have unusual circumstances, not often but when we get them people are always unprepared, so what is wrong with a bit of forward planning, it makes for less worrisome and more comfortable experiences.

Only last summer people had to bug out as a result of the riots in London, so it is not unheard of, then there's fires at factories with noxious smoke that gets people bugged out for their own safety and if you think about it, there been quite a lot of situations necessitating bug out.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
My nan, mum and aunties were 'bugged out' along with a lot of other people when they got out of their Anderson shelter to find the house was a pile of flames and rubble. I don't think a fire steel and 10m of paracord would have helped.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My nan, mum and aunties were 'bugged out' along with a lot of other people when they got out of their Anderson shelter to find the house was a pile of flames and rubble. I don't think a fire steel and 10m of paracord would have helped.

No. But their insurance papers, deeds, prescription meds (along with a copy of the prescriptions) and a change of clothing likely would have been.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
The same day? Before nightfall? And their lost personal property? Drivers licenses?

Mate, this was 1942. They had no car or belongings. All my mother remembers (at the age of 6) was queuing for a long time. This is where the house used to be:

summerland.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mate, this was 1942. They had no car or belongings. All my mother remembers (at the age of 6) was queuing for a long time. This is where the house used to be:

summerland.jpg

Clearer picture now. Sorry (or perhaps grateful they escaped unhurt) Lets hope that big a reason to evacuate isn't something reccurent as the scenarios we're discussing are.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't s'pose the term 'prepper' existed in 1942. People helped each other - on a massive scale. :)

Yeah. And even had they wanted to, it's unlikely they could have stockpiled much with rationing in place. That's why many of us on this thread are trying to keep ot focussed on realistic scenarios and away from fantasy preppers.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Yeah. And even had they wanted to, it's unlikely they could have stockpiled much with rationing in place. That's why many of us on this thread are trying to keep ot focussed on realistic scenarios and away from fantasy preppers.

Having said that, in the 1980s we were encouraged to plan for dire events. Dear God, what a terrible prospect. I don't s'pose a hank of paracord and a fire steel would help with this either :eek:

ProtectAndSurvive.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Having said that, in the 1980s we were encouraged to plan for dire events. Dear God, what a terrible prospect. I don't s'pose a paracord and a fire steel would help with this either :eek:

ProtectAndSurvive.jpg

I was just starting elementary school when the Cuban missile crisis occurred. The following film was an official training film for us school kids. The "duck and cover" drills for kids start at about the 3.05 mark. Any chance of survival would have been total fantasy.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!

You are absolutely right, Bushwhacker.... there never has been, and never will be, ANY
emergency worth being prepared for in the UK....... :p

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
You could pack a blanket in your car the next time it snows. :p

Or turn the heater on.

Perzackelly.... there is "survivalism", and there is "preparedness"......
IMO, the OP is quite right - I have a bag that contains the "essentials", so whether it
be a case of being snowed in or there is a car accident outside the house, I should be
able to cope until "normal service is resumed"...... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE