Buffallo horn handled firesteels (warning double entendres)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
After I posted the recent thread here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83546&highlight=horn
(loads still available for swaps btw)
I find myself being accosted by people in the street with generally the same thought rolling around their brains.

"We know mountainm's the guy with the horn, and we'd like a piece of the action - but what do we do with it when we get it?"
Good question! It's been one that I think has been holding a lot of people back - well I say, don't be shy! There's plenty for everyone...
So to prove my point I spent most of tonight polishing my horn. Lots of rubbing and I did a fair bit of slow drilling too. Things got a little sticky in the end but once we'd whipped the leather and the beads out everything was fine and dandy.

Hope you like:
20120205_222016.jpg

20120205_221031.jpg

20120205_221419.jpg

20120205_221452.jpg

and one I did earlier:
20120129_231554.jpg

Cheers

Mike

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Superb Mike. Ive got a ton of horn dowels down the garage collecting dust. this might inspire me to do something with them. can i ask how far in you went with the steel. my rods are only 3.2 inch and i dont want to bury too much inside

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I hav eno experince of working with horn but I've got two bits.

Stupid questions coming up:
1. Can it be worked like wood, sawn filed etc etc
2. How do you get a good finish sandpaper and then polish
3. Would wax wood polish work.

I really would like to make some fire steel handles but am not really sure where to start.

Roger

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Superb Mike. Ive got a ton of horn dowels down the garage collecting dust. this might inspire me to do something with them. can i ask how far in you went with the steel. my rods are only 3.2 inch and i dont want to bury too much inside

I went in about a cm and a half - but these are only 4mm steels - I filed lots of shallow grooves in the buried end to help the epoxy "bite"

I really would like to make some fire steel handles but am not really sure where to start.

Roger

Buffalo horn is harder than cows horn - it can be sawn, filed and sanded but it is hard work and unforgiving with hand tools. It also has a tendency to "bite" onto your drill bit or saw blade as it is grown under tension.

To get a decent polish I use
60 grit emery to get the rough spots out
then
120,240,400,600,1200 grit wet and dry

this gives a smooth matt finish

I then use micromesh pads going right down to 12000 grit to get a mirror shine. I get mine from this guy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICRO-MES..._Crafts_EH&hash=item33718d5201#ht_2860wt_1139

hth

Mike

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I went in about a cm and a half - but these are only 4mm steels - I filed lots of shallow grooves in the buried end to help the epoxy "bite"

Buffalo horn is harder than cows horn - it can be sawn, filed and sanded but it is hard work and unforgiving with hand tools. It also has a tendency to "bite" onto your drill bit or saw blade as it is grown under tension.

To get a decent polish I use
60 grit emery to get the rough spots out
then
120,240,400,600,1200 grit wet and dry

this gives a smooth matt finish

I then use micromesh pads going right down to 12000 grit to get a mirror shine. I get mine from this guy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICRO-MES..._Crafts_EH&hash=item33718d5201#ht_2860wt_1139

hth

Mike

Thank you - Its much appreciated

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
** Nice Firesteels

Roger

1.] Yes. But its a lot harder and really reeks of burnt skin when you heat it up, drilling it for instance
2.] Yes, but you really need to be going right down in stages to a 1000 grit finish. I cannot seen to find any Emery paper in local hardware stores lower than 400.
3.] Never Tried it, but probably yes. For Glue you can use 151 Epoxy adhesive.

This guy is good to deal with

http://www.stickmaker.com/stickmakingshop.htm#Buffalo_Horn

Ive bought off Hazel and Buffalo horn off him before to make wading staffs.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE