Buff, shemagh, bandana and other which do you own

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you own and value most

• Buff

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Shemagh

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • Bandana

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • Other fabric variation

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I own a shemagh, old habits and all that...

It's a very versatile piece of kit...

Scarf
Hat
Towel
Flannel
Pillow case
Course water filter

I'm sure there are more, but that's what mine get used for.

Simon

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I love my shemag, bought it off someone on here, before they became fashionable :)

I'm currently wearing at as scarf: Folded into a triangle, the corner bits are at the front, the two end bits are wrapped around my neck and then under the frnt bit.

It's toasty warm!

I've tried the buff's (we called them snoods) and they don't like me nor I, them, too tight and restrictive, plus they aren't big enough for a towel, shawl, strainer ect.
I've put my shemag through everything and it's still as good as they day I got it :)

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Korvin, please find attached the images of the Mors survival scarf I made as requested. Sorry for the delay but my cameras on the blink (got wet). I’ve took these with my phone so sorry for the quality. Also could not get a shot of me in bag with the phone. But you can see what it’s like anyhow. Its a great bit of kit and now one of my favourites.

IMAG0046.jpg

As a scarf
IMAG0048.jpg

As a head net (tilly underneath)
IMAG0053.jpg

Pack size against fire steel (LMF Army)
IMAG0052.jpg

Showing emergency bivi entry / hammock mosi net (note: thin unproofed ripstop nylon bottom, no-see-uh mesh upper)
IMAG0051.jpg

Laid out with Tilly hat for scale.

Total cost to make £10 + 1 hour at sewing machine (Fabric from PointNorth/Profabric)

Hammy734

Sep 6, 2008
Portadown, Northern Ireland
I use a buff, and some friends use the others, shemagh, bandana etc. so I have seen most in action and what I will say is for me the buff is a no nonsense put it on and your done piece of kit that I hardly ever leave at home!

I have seen guys struggle with shemaghs and bandanas trying to fix them in over elaborate ways when all you really need is something quick and simple... especially if there are more important things that need doing! (like making a nice hot brew)

But I guess if your after a multi purpose piece of kit the others have their pro-points too.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I use the ordinary buff quite a bit, but for me the real find was the Polar- I find most fleece or wool hats make my head too hot, especially walking uphill, but this is like a certain baby bears porridge- just right !

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Cobweb

Before you judge the buff as not good as a strainer try this trick

Take one end at four points, seperate them as in north south east and west.
Take the material at NE, SE, NW, SW and place them back in the centre. If you have womens hair pins this is considerably easier, or 2 paper clips.

Twist the N,S,E,W sections each, 360 degrees. clockwise or anticlockwise doesn't matter, just do all four the same way.
Crown the twist braid strands.
Crown again
This is tight and tricky to do but works like a charm.

It's obviously not as thick as a millbag for filtration, but will remove the larger particles quickly enough. Especially if topped up with sand, mosses etc.

If you are unfamiliar with crown knots, just google it, there are hundreds of demos, pictures and even animations.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Korvin, please find attached the images of the Mors survival scarf I made as requested. Sorry for the delay but my cameras on the blink (got wet). I’ve took these with my phone so sorry for the quality. Also could not get a shot of me in bag with the phone. But you can see what it’s like anyhow. Its a great bit of kit and now one of my favourites.

Based on the pictures it appears to be about 2m x 70 cm (finished size). He had some version of it in the 90's when he was in Sweden at Ragnarok, but that one was perhaps 0.5x1.5m.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
My favourite is my Shemagh bought from a stall in Baghdad. I don't wear it much today as it lives in my sock drawer but am considering replacing it with a user with less memories attached.

Cheers,
Steve

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i got a shemagh various buffs and buffs with hoods all good to wear in various conditions regards dave

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have several buffs and a shemagh and to be honest I use all of them but probably the buffs more than the shemagh as they are smaller to just leave in a pocket for when I need it.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got various buffs, bandanas and shemaghs, I still find my self reaching for the merino buff more often than not over anything else.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
just recently got a shemagh after a friend lent me his whilst sat round a fire because i was cold. Handy bit of kit that, 101 uses so definitely earned its place in my kit!

Dave

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Read this thread a wee while ago (read; about a year) and thought, I use something not mentioned on here: a Zulu made, Kikoy, bought in South Africa, it's 5 1/2' long and 2 1/2' wide, I believe I can use it for all the aforementioned uses whilst also being able to use it as a thin blanket in hot climates oh and once in Namibia as a bag that carried all the kit I needed (Thermarest, Crusader cup and bottle, food and half jack of whisky.....rest in clothes).

But to be fair it has 2 main uses in the Uk, a scarf/head cover in this weather and a wrap at other times, for lounging in, ventilation for nether regions is underrated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE