Buff, shemagh, bandana and other which do you own

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you own and value most

• Buff

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Shemagh

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • Bandana

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • Other fabric variation

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
Buff for me

light - squashes to nothing, dries quick, you'd be amazed the heat it holds in round the neck of a fleece.

Also - used it when in the hammock over my face when the midgies were out - can see'ish and breathe through it no problem

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I personal use a scrim net, been using them for years, but I always carry a buff in the back pocket for just in case.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I became addicted to headovers in the army, I still have my old green[ish] army one a couple of grey East German Army ones and a few I bought for skiing red, purple, green and yellow. My shemagh never see's the light of day, it should really it is a nice original bit of kit, it came from Beirut back in the 80's.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
have a couple of buff's as has been said already light weight, dry quickly etc etc,
also have a couple of shemagh's used to wear them for walking, motorbiking but found them to be too bulky

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi...yes. its the Krama for me too. Like a lightweigh shemagh, but rectangular. As I live where they make them (Cambodia) its easy to pick them up for about 50p each, and they last for years. I have about 20 that I circulate between washes as I carry one every day, plus those packed away in my rucksacks. I think I still have a headover tucked away from my army time in the 80's and 90's, which was a sort of cross between a balaclava and a cap comforter (which ended up making everyone look like a paramilitary version of Noddy when the folded bit popped up) and a fleece beanie hat scrounged off a Canadian in Bosnia which is the dogs for my admittedly few trips to cold places now...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I voted Buff - great kit, I own about 100....
But - I use a woolen headover, a shem, a bandana and spotty hanky thing as well....

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Shemagh for most jobs, and ocasionaly a small bandana, worn around my neck. i also have several kneckerchiefs, but they're scouts uniform so I have to keep them clean.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I was intrigued by the survival scarf that Mors showed at the Bushmoot this year. It struck me as a really smart idea. (obvious really, but then it often takes a guy like Mors to point out the obvious to the rest of us.)

Anyway I got busy and made one from some un-proofed pertex and ‘no see um’ mesh. I made it large enough to lay in comfortably with my sleeping bag.

I have used is for the rest of the year and over the last 3 months has really come into its own. It’s bloody brilliant!

It packs to nothing, and weighs nought to boot. It has so far been used as a scarf (most of the time), which I now realise is a much underrated thermal device. It can be adjusted to allow body temperature regulation more easily than any layering system, and is particularly useful if you prefer a hat to a hood in windy conditions as it covers your ears well without trashing your field of vision.

It is now used as my preferred mosi-net both when in my hammock at night and when walking as a head net. It also acts as a fantastic wind break in the hammock significantly improving the comfort on a windy cold night. On one night in particular in October, it was a god send, as the local midges were out in force, which was unusual for that time of year. I have also used it as a body towel, and it dries very quickly making it truly multipurpose.
I think the only change I’d make is replacing one side with bright orange pertex, leaving the other olive. That way it could also be used as an emergency marker. (You never know when you may need this especially if it’s hunting season)

I tried stuffing it with leaf litter last week, as recommended by the inventor, and it does provide a brilliant emergency sleeping bag holding the insulation right around you. When combined with my poncho it would make a really effective shelter system in an emergency. Great for any eventuality as it packs to the size of a tennis ball in your pocket.

I would strongly recommend you make one of these, you won’t regret it.
Many thanks to Mors. (I am not worthy...... :notworthy )

shawn

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2008
usa
gabushcraft.blogspot.com
always wear a couple bandana in the bush to keep the sweat off my brow and bugs off my neck. another use ive found for them is to set one ontop the head, so it hangs over the back and sides,then put on a cap to keep it in place, it keeps the flies and mosquitos from buzzing in the ears. also nice is the unique fading and contrast they develop.

luddy

Oct 27, 2008
SW
I've just been given a bin liner full of nomex offcuts, so I'm going to experiment with that (except the bright red version, what does the army use that for?) and some Concordia (like Pertex, only half the weight) to make some useful gear. I've got one of those tube things (bought it from Backpacking Light) but it's very tight, and with me being grey-haired, I look like Mrs Mopp out on a shopping trip. All I'd need to complete the picture would be a tartan shopping trolley! Otherwise I use a bandana. I did have a prayer shawl I bought in Tunisia, but that's now worn out.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Bandana all year round use
I use a Shemagh and a Buff type thing at different times usually in cold weather
Shemagh is good in hammock in winter
buff is especially good on bike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE