Buff, shemagh, bandana and other which do you own

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you own and value most

• Buff

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Shemagh

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • Bandana

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • Other fabric variation

Votes: 18 6.7%

• Total voters

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a shemagh and a fleecy buff thing.

Never use the shemagh nowadays cos quite frankly, its crap :eek:

The fleecy buff thing is great though, doesn't take up much space and doesn't get manky and damp like the shemagh.

Oh and the buffs far and away better for when I am on the bike cos it doesn't get in the way of the helmet strap.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
demographic said:
Never use the shemagh nowadays cos quite frankly, its crap :eek:

i agree, to be fair though, many of the cheapo shemaghs are waay too small, you simply can't wrap them round your head very well at all. the proper bigguns do have many uses. i've seen them used as giant teabags for folks who didn't want rosehip hairs in their tea. :D

cheers, and.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
sargey said:
i agree, to be fair though, many of the cheapo shemaghs are waay too small, you simply can't wrap them round your head very well at all. the proper bigguns do have many uses. i've seen them used as giant teabags for folks who didn't want rosehip hairs in their tea. :D

cheers, and.
Mines one of the pretty huge ones from what was Survival Aids when it was at Morland, think it called Penrith Survival nowadays, anyways its still fairly crap.

If I want to strain tea I would use a tea strainer and still use a buff to keep my neck warm,
Big numb useless thing that isn't even that warm when you consider the fact that it makes putting a hood on with the zip right up a right pain.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've been informed by a reliable source from Brixton, London that the shemagh is the latest cool fashion accessory for young urban people wishing to make a statement. I'm not sure what the statement is but the style to be seen in is the Palestinian design so presumably it is a political statement.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I voted bandana. I don't wear it but it's handy to have as a foraging bag/pot holder/towel/hankie/waterfilter. Never tried a shemagh, as I've only been to the desert once and that was in America so I would probably have been shipped off to Guantanamo for illegal detention.

gregorach said:
A shemagh's more for keeping you cool than keeping you warm.

Sorry to disagree bud but Norgee shirts are 100% cotton and they keep you warm if dry and so do shemaghs.

I've used shemaghs since 1984 and granted they do have their weakness but as a general scarf to keep out wind and dust and as a pack towel, muffler when camping in the cold they are invaluable. I use mine for all the previous uses but particulalry as a scarf/towel/muffler when camping snd they do look quite cool too which is a bonus as I'm about as uncool as u can get! ;)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
w00dsmoke said:
Sorry to disagree bud but Norgee shirts are 100% cotton and they keep you warm if dry and so do shemaghs.

I've used shemaghs since 1984 and granted they do have their weakness but as a general scarf to keep out wind and dust and as a pack towel, muffler when camping in the cold they are invaluable. I use mine for all the previous uses but particulalry as a scarf/towel/muffler when camping snd they do look quite cool too which is a bonus as I'm about as uncool as u can get! ;)

Yeah, I agree... All I guess I was trying to say was that if warmth is your top priority, a shemagh may not be the best option. They won't keep you warm in the same way as a fleece or wool scarf.

They also come in handy for keeping the migdies off... In fact, they've got so many uses, I think of the shemagh as the bushcrafter's towel (in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sense... ;))

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
It is quite surprising to me how little the bandana is being called upon, especially when so many people recommend them for small kits as do a lot of books. It's not going to stop me wearing mine on my belt though, for my job at the moment it comes in extremely handy.
also in relation to size, both the buff and bandana are near enough the same, but I find a wet bandana cools the head more in summer than a wet buff.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've got a buff, bandana and shemagh. I tend to use the bandana more than the others. I keep the buff in my shoulder bag because it's handy to clean lenses with and wrap up delicate kit. I actually wish I used the shemagh more and this has encouraged me to dig it out and see if I can utilise it in different ways.

Cheers

Pablo

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
Shemagh and a buff both handy, i remember when it was snowing and i was wearing my shemagh ppl at skool slagged me off for it saying it was a table cloth and stuff now i see tonnes of folk walking down the street with them on..

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
willie said:
Shemagh and a buff both handy, i remember when it was snowing and i was wearing my shemagh ppl at skool slagged me off for it saying it was a table cloth and stuff now i see tonnes of folk walking down the street with them on..

That's the price you pay for being ahead of the crowd when it comes to fashion. :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Army bush hat in warmer weather, wooly hat and old university scarf in winter, does the job nicely and I'm not a follower of fasion ;)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just acquired a buff, to use a sweat mop.

Seems their once size fits all is a little close to the mark, feels abit too tight with my 19"+ collar, hopefully will stretch abit over time for a more looser fit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE