Budget belly busters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When I went to uni my parents gave me a book called grub on a grant for Xmas in my second year. One recipe was a bean casserole made with tinned beans and tomatoes plus cheap stock items. I thought I could make it cheaper by cooking from dried beans, cooking from scratch. I used the pressure cooker but of course I didn't judge the quantities so well. Let's just say I was eating it for a week or perhaps more. You can have too many beans, but it was actually quite nice in the end.

Reactions: ESpy and gg012

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Can we get a photo of that please? kinda intrigued.
F5-D595-D3-4858-4-EA0-AA3-A-1-E3-D093-CFBC9.jpg

I want to make a stool that it all sits in to hide it when not in use. It’s stacked I the garage currently.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@Stew i like that , i was toying with a hay box after watching wartime farm but never tried it i know the idea but i always wondered if i could use old insulation board make a nice tight fitting box like yours heat the pan to boiling hold it there for 15 mins then put it in the box which i would line with either foil in the hole made to fit the stew pot and inside the insulation , , nice pics mate and thank youfor the idea

Reactions: nigelp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I would bet this is better than a hay box. This is modern thick insulation - it’ll perform better than hay!

It should work with a stack of thinner stuff too. I do sometimes put a heavy weight on top to limit air gaps. With thinner stuff I would definitely do that.

So what insulation is that ? PIR Kingspan/Celotex type stuff??? ( Apologies for the thread divergence. )

Definitely want to have a go at that.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
So what insulation is that ? PIR Kingspan/Celotex type stuff??? ( Apologies for the thread divergence. )

Definitely want to have a go at that.

I had a quick skim through my O&M manual but couldn’t see the manufacturer details of the insulation but here’s another bit so you can see how nice and dense it is and the thickness. I use four sheets in the stack.

B2-AD82-D1-2-C1-B-4-C08-812-F-7-F57958540-BE.jpg

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Then another two hours after:

0-C52-C809-8-D19-4-D57-B702-FF4-D734-F9-F6-C.jpg

My understanding is that the 'danger zone' for food in terms of bacterial growth is between 4C and 60C - is there anything done that mitigates that with this method? Just curious as I love the idea and efficiency, but don't want to accidentally put my wife and I on an accidental and aggressive weight loss program :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE