buckskin shirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
in the absence of buckskin what's a good choice of leather for native american style shirts. I was thinking clothing grade chamois would be pretty good.

leon-1

jerv said:
in the absence of buckskin what's a good choice of leather for native american style shirts. I was thinking clothing grade chamois would be pretty good.

If you can get it try chrome tanned deerskin, I don't know if LePrevo have any at the moment, but it may be worth ringing them up to find out.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I suggest chrome tanned leather, cheaper than braintanned.

Go for a thicker hide than deer if you can possibly swing it. Deer's great for a few years, but get elkhide or moose... even horse or cow and it's great for a long long time!

Making a Lakota Warshirt as we speak (hence the reason my saw for the competition isn't done!) out of wild bull elk... beautiful leather. Costing me $500, thank god I know the supplier well :rolleyes:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
The trouble with chamios is that it goes as stiff as a board if any water/liquid gets on it. I made SWMBO a squaw outfit from chamios for a fancy dress do and as we walked in the rain from the car to the mess it got a bit wet and turned to cardboard - just like the one you wash the motor with. Proper buckskin is water repellant and will not stiffen in the same way.
Cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE