Buck 112 good first knife for camping/beginner bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alexnail

Nov 18, 2010
Bristol/Devon
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me choose a knife. I'm currently in the US and whilst out here I thought I would pick up a knife, since they seem a little cheaper than in the UK.

I have been short of a knife a few times when camping but managed to get by. Now I'd really like one particularly as I am planning on having some fires started with firesteel (I haven't tried this yet).

I'd be using the knife predominantly for slicing food I would imagine, but I would also like a knife that could be used for general tasks and fire making. Since I've done a bit of wood carving recently I have no doubt I will end up using it for that as well.

I dont want a fixed blade knife at the moment, I'd like something a bit pocketable and ideally lightweight.

At the moment my gear can be very heavy, particularly in the winter. Generally I have 6.5kg of camera gear with me (I do landscape photography semi-professionally) and then all my camping gear (all be it moderately lightweight) so I really dont want to be hurling around anything that I think is overweight for what it offers me.

Would the Buck 112 be a good knife to choose (I like the classic design and they seem to have a good reputation) or should I be considering other options? Thanks

Alex

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's OK, but a folder of any sort isn't really ideal for an all round bushcraft knife at all. The grind isn't good for carving, and food prep with game could have hygeine concerns. Great as a survival/emergency blade, but for bushcraft... not so much. A fixed blade Mora would be lighter too. As for use with a firesteel, the supplied striker would be better too.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi alexnail i have a buck fixed blade and when i tried to make a hole in a bit of wood the tip broke i reprofiled the point and it broke again so i know it sounds negative but inmo i can only speak from experience some people like them i dont regards dave

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
The danger with having a folder for processing wood is that the locking mechanism can often be broken during batoning. You could go for a skeletonised neck knife if you wanted to keep the weight down. Good luck mate.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The danger with having a folder for processing wood is that the locking mechanism can often be broken during batoning. You could go for a skeletonised neck knife if you wanted to keep the weight down. Good luck mate.

I've found that with most folders, when used for bushcraft work, the blade locks get released with normal use. Not to mention the dirt getting into the mechanism and crunching everytime you use it.

alexnail

Nov 18, 2010
Bristol/Devon
Okay thanks guys, I guess that's a definitive no for using it for any sort of bushcrafting then.
Are there any affordable recommendations for something else? Realistically I can do without a knife at all for what I have planned for the time being (making a fire etc).
Thanks very much for your help,

Alex

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Okay thanks guys, I guess that's a definitive no for using it for any sort of bushcrafting then.
Are there any affordable recommendations for something else? Realistically I can do without a knife at all for what I have planned for the time being (making a fire etc).
Thanks very much for your help,

Alex

A knife really is your most important tool. This is the best low cost knife you can buy (Mora Clipper), and some people who have been studying bushcraft for decades need and use nothing else....

mora_clipper_knife_240.jpg

Easily picked up for about £9.00.

alexnail

Nov 18, 2010
Bristol/Devon
Ah well if it's THAT cheap then I can get both! I'll have to see how I go and if I really get into the kind of camping where I feel I can use a knife (because out on Dartmoor I will have little use for one) then I can invest in something a bit more substantial :) Thanks a lot, that really helps :)

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE