Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
That jet stream needs to take a nice leap frog over scotland, that'd help things a bit :) I was driving back down the M1 in it and the vehicle looks like I was crossing the arctic tundra rather than having a merry late may journey :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Spent the day in the woods reviewing kit and for near the end of may it was bonkers, cold wind, slushy hail, downpours, overcast etc, we did have the odd sunny 10 minutes and that felt amazing, but few and far between.
The ground is still wet, impassable in some places (mainly due to the horses that have been there through the winter creating deep mud) and I can see it not drying out this year, if it does it will be for such a short period that i'll not notice :D

Biker

After the sun came out earlier I rushed upstairs to find my mankini, but by the time I got one leg in the thing the rain had rolled back in. Gutted.

IN the afternoon I went over to a house about 15 miles away to measure up for a carpentry job they wanted doing and had a coat on just to keep warm, then had to wait indoors for 10 minutes for the heavy rain to pass over. That's when I spotted that even the ducks are getting a bit cheesed off with this weather. See photo below. It was hammering down quite a bit at this point, sadly the pictures doesn't show just how hard it was raining. So much for the old saying "Nice day for ducks."

After getting a bit of shopping on the way home the car was almost blown sideways into the verges when a surprise storm rolled in just to really mess up the day.

90mins later I'm home indoors and there's not a breath of wind out there, but the grey clouds are out there just waiting for me to step outside.

I refuse to light the fire though, that would be giving in. I'll just find my hat instead.

So much for Mesquite's photo comp for this month being a Sunshine theme. :togo: Sorry Steve, maybe next month. Monsoon May hasn't quite finished with us yet.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ahh Biker the old Scottish trick of wearing all your clothes indoors. Like up in Aberdeen - if it's cold rather than set the fireplace they'll get a candle out. And if it's cold enough that folk are turning bluer than normal they'll maybe even light it for a while.

I don't know if you guys on here are Calvin and Hobbes fans? but I like the strip where Calvin is complaining to his Dad that it's too cold in the house and that he should turn up the heating. His Dad gets him to step outside into the yard and says that he'll let him in in 10 minutes and he'll be amazed how warm it feels. I had a Dad who'd do stuff like that.

Was mostly sunny here today, some showers. But blinking cold. Still the forecast is for high pressures here and temps of up to 18 for the weekend. Which is good as it's the village Highland Games this weekend. The drunken revellers will need the sunshine to avoid dying in an alcoholic hypothermic haze. Though no matter how hot it is we always get a cloudburst at some point during the day.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Gosh, my head is full of images of mankinis and kilted revellers now, you lads sound like you have fun weekends wayyy up north and waayyyyy down south, us Midland Meeters are being left behind here!

Take us pics, lads, especially if the sun be shining :) I think we're going to need proof it happened (ie summer) this year!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Gosh, my head is full of images of mankinis and kilted revellers now, you lads sound like you have fun weekends wayyy up north and waayyyyy down south, us Midland Meeters are being left behind here!

Take us pics, lads, especially if the sun be shining :) I think we're going to need proof it happened (ie summer) this year!

That's why they say folk don't trust men with beards. We're hedonists you see with no time to shave as we're busy looking and acting like Pan.
goat1.gif

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
So much for Mesquite's photo comp for this month being a Sunshine theme. :togo: Sorry Steve, maybe next month. Monsoon May hasn't quite finished with us yet.

:rofl:... I think next year I'll just title the theme 'Todays weather' then we can have examples of all extremes :rolleyes:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Worse here today and I'm off to the Bushcraft Show where, amazingly, the forecast for the weekend is decent. Fingers crossed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
10 degrees here, sun out, having trouble reading laptop screen with the brightness, sitting outside with my little kuska of hot water - may light the chimera later. Reading the December 1910 report into the Stone Circles in Perthshire, Principally Strathern. Starting a little project to update the report for myself and see how many survive as a lot were damaged/destroyed.

The winds died down now, was racing in from the north east all last night at a fair lick of knots.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wet and wild here in Yorkshire, small trees blowing over and branches falling off the bigger ones. Spray and standing water causing havoc on the motorways with long tail backs on the A1.

A regular Yorkshire bank holiday weekend really

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I must be sitting in the only sunny spot going by the thread, it's been glorious all day, sitting at 14degrees at the mo, not a drop all day. nice breeze. My increasingly tame spuggie (sparrow) pal is hopping around a couple of feet away looking for grub and material for her nest. What a nice day.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Bit of a change from the snow yesterday, bright sunshine and warm, typical 24 hours in the Highlands!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glorious sunshine here today :D Cooked in it cutting the grass and doing some weeding. Seriously thinking that it's warm enough to think about painting and papering :)

cheers,
M

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
My lad had to call for the Mom taxi, twas awful round us for motorbikes... I remember the feeling of it being the vacuum power of the intake of breath being the only thing that kept you upright and with his squeeze on pillion- nooooo :) It was looking beautifully lush when the clouds did depart though! I've just got a hedgerow medicinal book but they're hard to ident at 60mph.... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE