Broken machete

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As I need to clear a fair bit of scrub and brambles from my land I decided to get a machette as that seemed like the ideal tool for the job. It was ideal but after a few uses it literally snapped in two! I was just cutting a branch of less than an inch diameter and was amazed to see most of the blade fly off.

My main concern is why did this happen as I'd like a replacement but one that's not dangerous. I wasn't using too much force as the blade was sharp and didn't need excessive force, I've not mistreated the blade at all and being an "Army Machette" I assumed it was suitable to be used and not a toy. I enclose a couple of pictures, note if you look carefully at the tang in the handle it has also broken near the end as well. Can anyone suggest what happened?

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

I'm also very disappointed with the place I purchased it from, Surplusandoutdoors, as I've emailed them several times and I've only been told the matter has been passed to their product complaints department who will get back to me, two weeks of chasing hasn't got any further.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That looks like one of the Chinese made 'issue' goloks. Someone did a review of these on BB and it wasn't good. They are knock-offs and are shorter than the issue version. Get a refund and get a Martindale.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I had one identical to that. As Jonathan said, it's Chinese knock-off. Steel is gawd-knows-what and won't take an edge, very poorly made. Just look at the grain structure on the break! I gave mine away to someone who wanted it for very occaisional use.

Dave

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
the grains appear to be different sizes - so it might have been a shoddy heat treatment.

as said get a refund then get on ebay and buy a billhook.

Andy

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
I have seen some thing similar on another place, the break was at the handle - unfortunatly I had already bought one by this time (i have not used mine and looking at yours I am not sure if I will ever use it). As for the military markings and connections they are false and very misleading - they are centainly not uk marking and as others have stated here, a Chinese copy trying to be something its not.

Andy

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Damn!. I wish this thread had been around before I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I knew they weren't "issue" but not that they were carp.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
me 2! I have one I have not used but it looks good, I guess they are better looking than in practical use! I also have a regular Martindale which I have used quite a lot and it is my favorite machete so far. I do want one of those Borneo RM style ones, they look to be a real useful shape.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Get a refund and get a Martindale.

That was going to be my second question, what to get as a decent replacement. A Martindale looks ideal. I do have a couple of billhooks but prefer the machette for some jobs.

I'll try an get a refund but not hopeful, looks like I'll shop elsewhere in future.

And anyone else who has one like the above, I would be very cautious using it as mine failed with no warning at all.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It cost me £16.99, so I'm not overly worried about losing the money but I would have expected the shop to be concerned about the fault.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
It cost me £16.99, so I'm not overly worried about losing the money but I would have expected the shop to be concerned about the fault.

You're right about the shop, of course.
My question was to understand the quality level of this knife. I guess it was a completely failed heath treatment.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
shame about the blade breaking.

for brambles, the way forwards is to pop down to B&Q and pick up a fiskars brush-hook. they're twice the price of your failed miniature golok, but worth every penny if you've proper work to do. they really are so far of any thing else for that sort of job.

anyone know where the made in china bit came from? the information i had was that they were made by a company that supplies the indian army. unless it's a chinese knock off of the indian knock off!

cheers, and.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You're right about the shop, of course.
My question was to understand the quality level of this knife. I guess it was a completely failed heath treatment.

I understand. The blade has never shown any signs of rusting so it looks like it's a stainless steel which I think is more brittle than plain carbon steel?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
shame about the blade breaking.

for brambles, the way forwards is to pop down to B&Q and pick up a fiskars brush-hook. they're twice the price of your failed miniature golok, but worth every penny if you've proper work to do. they really are so far of any thing else for that sort of job.

I've seen them and slashing hooks and I'll hopefully be getting a scythe with brush blade which will be ideal for large areas but I still find a small machette useful for close in work and other trimming.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'd lend you mine but it's already out on loan. they really are so much better than just about everything else for that sort of job, so light and effortless to use it's a joy!

:lmao: and no i don't have shares in fiskars!

cheers, and.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Does anyone know much about Tramontina Machetes? I'm thinking of getting one of those for £8 before investing in something better, the reviews I've seen suggest they're great for the price.

Sadly no refund from Surplus and Outdoors, I phoned them as they didn't answer my emails, other than acknowledge receipt of one. They insist I send it back at my cost which as far as I can see is against the distance selling regs as I regard the item as faulty and is less than 6 months old, but it's not worth the hassle to argue so I'll just not use them again.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are decent machetes, a few SA tribes use them as standard and we are taking 10-15 with us as trade items when we go over there. The handle needs work as it is rough, and the blade needs re-sharpening. But for £8 you kinda expect that. I like them over the Martindales.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks Jon, the reviews mentioned the handle. I'd not have any problems reshaping or even replacing it and I can happily sharpen the blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE