Broken Kindle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
:cussing:My kindle has started to die, it keeps freezing and requires a reboot. Does anyone know of a solution, and yes I know there are probably better forums to ask this but here I know you speak the same language as me :) (Not geek).
Colin

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
What kind of kindle is it. If it is an e reader they are only designed to have a short life. Amazon say you should not expect it to last longer than 18 months to three years.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cant say that I have heard that before, had mine about 18 months now and it hasn't missed a beat once and it is used for a few hours a day.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
It's a keyboard model and having searched online it seems to be a problem a few people are having. I wish it was just a software update but it keeps happening.
From looking at various sites a fair few people have had it happen to them after the two year point, I'm not impressed and may look at another way to read my e books rather than replace it.
Colin

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I'm sure you can wade through the various Kindle forums and possibly come up with an answer, there seems to be discussion here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx369IYCLKFE14Y. If it was broken, then Ifixit is the place to start.

However, I had a chap come into my department the other day asking about the Paperwhite, but I did point out to him that buying that wasn't much less than buying a 7in Kindle Fire HD. For £116 (and its the same price, where ever you buy it from) you get a 16GB Android tablet. Its cheap because Amazon want you to stay with them, in much the same way that the Kindle was relatively cheap. If that appeals, then have a look at all options.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dropped my current reading matter today - it fell about 9 feet onto a hard, concrete, surface then bounced down a couple of steps... I was gutted!
Luckily the only damage was a couple of pages had their corners bent and there was a small tear in the dust cover!

Buy a flippin book - they are more robust than any flippin plastic and 'lectric reader!

If you join a library you can read almost unlimited numbers of books for free and the softwear is not only free but lasts your lifetime with no need for updates!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I dropped my current reading matter today - it fell about 9 feet onto a hard, concrete, surface then bounced down a couple of steps... I was gutted!
Luckily the only damage was a couple of pages had their corners bent and there was a small tear in the dust cover!

Buy a flippin book - they are more robust than any flippin plastic and 'lectric reader!

If you join a library you can read almost unlimited numbers of books for free and the softwear is not only free but lasts your lifetime with no need for updates!

Did none of the pop up animals get bent?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
What do you already have?

epubs can be dropped straight into itunes making them readable on ipod touches & iphones. No doubt this is an option on Android phones as well.

There is also a kindle reader as a free download for iphones/ipod touches.

No doubt these are options on Android phones as well.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
What do you already have?

epubs can be dropped straight into itunes making them readable on ipod touches & iphones. No doubt this is an option on Android phones as well.

There is also a kindle reader as a free download for iphones/ipod touches.

No doubt these are options on Android phones as well.

There is a kindle app for Android phones available from Amazon, I confess to having one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:cussing:My kindle has started to die, it keeps freezing and requires a reboot. Does anyone know of a solution, and yes I know there are probably better forums to ask this but here I know you speak the same language as me :) (Not geek).
Colin

From BBC's Watchdog show

Amazon’s hugely successful range of Kindle e-readers has
revolutionised the world of books, giving readers access to a vast online
archive of over a million titles that they can download anywhere and anytime.
But that’s not much use when you can’t read them to the end. We’re constantly
hearing from Kindle owners, all complaining that these hand held reading devices
just keep losing the plot.

Consider the sad tale of romance fan Saskia Donnelly. Her husband gave her a
Kindle keyboard for her birthday in October 2010, but the love affair began to
turn sour when it stopped working after just 10 months. Because it was still
within the 12 month guarantee, Amazon replaced it for free, but the replacement
didn’t last long either, breaking in the same way after a further 11 months.

“I rang up Amazon and they said we’re really sorry but on your replacement
Kindle you only have a 90 day warranty.” Saskia explains.

Amazon offered her the chance to buy another replacement, but only if she
paid £50. But Saskia didn’t want to fork out for a third model in two years, so
she turned her back on the Kindle Keyboard and opted to buy the newer Kindle
Touch – at a cost of £109.

Saskia’s story is one that we’re hearing time and time again. The screen on
the Kindle freezes, leaving you unable to turn the pages of the book you’re
already reading
, or to gain access to the other books you’ve downloaded on the
device.

Whilst Amazon do provide a free replacement within your first 12 months, the
warranty on replacement devices outside that first year is just three months. So
if you find your Kindle breaks after that, you’ll have to pay

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mine was four on the 15th of this month, the wife's is two xmas as are the childrens in January and March, all still going strong.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow

John I was with you until about 8 months ago. I'm in the RAF and went away for the summer. Usually this means I end up reading rubbish I don't really enjoy for most of my tour once my stock runs out. With a kindle I was able to get hold of books I actually want to read.

Now I'm home though it's back to the library for me. I love free books.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Mine will be 4 soon, wife has one that's 2 years old and a fire hd that's about 9 months old. No problems with either of them.

I installed Duokan on mine, cause I only use PDFs on it and it renders them much better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE