Broken handle :( need help :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You want to make sure that which ever wood you use is well seasoned or stabilized. If the wood is still shifting whilst seasoning you will end up starting all over again.
Have a scout around there are plenty of suppliers selling scales or ask a few of the makers on here, they are only cheap and it saves you having to wait for fresh wood to season.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The crack is too severe to patch it up imo. It can be done, but the handle would be seriously weakened and it would look horrid.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
yqesebe2.jpg
well theres no turning back now eeeaakkkkk lol :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
perhaps add in some fibre linings as well?

I was thinking white if i go with the birch? Maybe black? Gonna google some pics and see if i get any better ideas' this is my first ever go at this :/ haha

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I can vouch for them. Nice folk to deal with.

Be careful. It's an addictive hobby handling knives :)
Keep the originals and even glue them back together to keep to give you an idea of the shape you are aiming for if they were comfy.
Birch looks pretty, but it's a buyers market on options. And contrasting liners do look nice.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Yea was thinkin about gluing the old scales together to use as a template? And a keep sake. Sorry about my spellin lol not sure wot size pins i need? Is it just a case of mesuring the width of the old ones?

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
I can vouch for them. Nice folk to deal with.

Be careful. It's an addictive hobby handling knives :)
Keep the originals and even glue them back together to keep to give you an idea of the shape you are aiming for if they were comfy.
Birch looks pretty, but it's a buyers market on options. And contrasting liners do look nice.

Do kinda hav my heart set on birch. Its my fave tree like alot of folk :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Pretty much. You can go pins like it looks you have already. Brass or any other metal you fancy. Or go mosaic for pretty, but they are after bigger diameter so watch that. Or go bolts. I like bolts for the reassurance they give, but a bit more work as you have two holes diameters to drill.
Obviously lanyard tube too you will need if you are putting one back in.

Liners, you have colour choice to pick and thickness you fancy. Then the handle choice. Wood, or other options. It's all very personal choice for the look you want.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
6ahujajy.jpg
oh.. and i got a great gift off my pal in work today' he was having a clearout' and hes walks over to me and gives me this book!? Im like WOW! Cheers matey:) :) :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Birch is a nice wood. The curly stuff adds a lot to the look. Google a few as you suggested. Red liners contract well. Black. Seen blue work well. Light colours don't stand out so kind of spoils the point in having them.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Great book. Flick to the page with the original knife. That ones Birdseye maple, which is also very pretty :)

image.jpg

Like that one. The lower one I handled in reindeer antler.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE