If you had no ties and money wasn’t an issue, where would you move to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Okay. Mod hat on. Calling time on posts growing more and more politically negative. Removed the last two posts that were no longer anything to do with the thread before. There are others that are going in a negative direction that I have left since they are not so political, but let’s try to be more positive….or don’t post in this thread.

Threads like this are meant to lift peoples’ spirits, both writing what they would like to do, and reading where others would go. So please, no more negative diatribe…mild moans still okay ;)
Thank you.
Chris
I know I mentioned Wyken in my post, but at least I did not say Earlsdon as that would make me sound altogether too posh.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think that I have no single spot. One of my many spots, if money no object, would be somewhere in a nice part of Gothenburg near the centre. I went there twice with work and felt at home. I don't like cities but Gotgenburg I felt comfortable in so I think a pad there for city breaks throughout the year but not a home as such.

I found out years after visiting that two of my American ancestors actually sailed out of Gotgenburg for America shortly after getting married. Perhaps there's a genetic reason why I feel so settled in that city! I seriously do not like cities. I grew up near Preston and Blackburn but now even Preston seems overpopulated and overwhelming to me. More ppl in Gotenburg I believe but I never felt anything but contentment and belonging there, even when in the masses of a busy city! It's a hard thing to explain, but I felt it!

Reactions: santaman2000

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I get money is "no object" but, really high cost of living areas have an impact on society that to me is generally an overall negative on society at large.

This means even if I win a Billion Dollar (USD) Lottery, I am not moving to an area like Scandinavia or Switzerland. Money only matters to a point and after that can be a real negative.

If money is "no object", I am living in a middle class economy where people are happy and most live at the "same level" so there is general equality amongst everyone.

I moved away from Tucson, Arizona and returning years later was not nearly as happy overall because the middle class was totally gone. The majority of people were living paycheck to paycheck at a basic subsistence level and a small minority were living at a really upper-class level with expensive cars and housing totally detached from the other segments of society beyond themselves and those living the same life style.

Whether I live in the USA, Europe, or in the Asia/Pacific Rim, I want to live in a fairly flat society where people have enough for a happy life with all the necessities being not a challenge for almost everyone with money left over for the nicer things in life in moderation.

Reactions: gibson 175

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I get money is "no object" but, really high cost of living areas have an impact on society that to me is generally an overall negative on society at large.

This means even if I win a Billion Dollar (USD) Lottery, I am not moving to an area like Scandinavia or Switzerland. Money only matters to a point and after that can be a real negative.

If money is "no object", I am living in a middle class economy where people are happy and most live at the "same level" so there is general equality amongst everyone.

I moved away from Tucson, Arizona and returning years later was not nearly as happy overall because the middle class was totally gone. The majority of people were living paycheck to paycheck at a basic subsistence level and a small minority were living at a really upper-class level with expensive cars and housing totally detached from the other segments of society beyond themselves and those living the same life style.

Whether I live in the USA, Europe, or in the Asia/Pacific Rim, I want to live in a fairly flat society where people have enough for a happy life with all the necessities being not a challenge for almost everyone with money left over for the nicer things in life in moderation.
To be fair, Scandinavian countries are like that.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I understand wha
I haven’t worn one of those for the last ten years and then it was only sometimes at work.

I’m part of a large and growing family, My “ties” have ties.

It was just my thinking as I read the OP.

In the spirit of the original post, if I really was financially independent there are so many places that I world love to go and where I could be useful. There are so many places that I’ve only read about and don’t really know much about the culture in practice. I’ve also got an old brain which even struggles with my native English. I’m not sure how I’d manage a new language.

All that said:
Maybe Holland, Austria, Poland or Northern Italy

I know what you mean. I’m a Southerner (US) and for us ties to extended families is just part of the culture. That said, most of them are already scattered anyway. So seeing them in person means travel is just another reality. With unlimited funds even frequent long journeys become less of a hindrance.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Sometimes life throws a possibility & opens a door & my life’s dream is in my grasp.So I’m doing just that.. Abruzzo, Italy is on the cards.(can’t afford Tuscany).
I’m learning the Italian language & currently on the search to buy a stone farm house with around four acres of land with orchard & olive trees.
I’ve purposely thrown myself into work & kept away from a relationship and lived a frugal life to fulfil my dream.
This winter I need to visit & next spring put my feelers out to the locals & access the area.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Sometimes life throws a possibility & opens a door & my life’s dream is in my grasp.So I’m doing just that.. Abruzzo, Italy is on the cards.(can’t afford Tuscany).
I’m learning the Italian language & currently on the search to buy a stone farm house with around four acres of land with orchard & olive trees.
I’ve purposely thrown myself into work & kept away from a relationship and lived a frugal life to fulfil my dream.
This winter I need to visit & next spring put my feelers out to the locals & access the area.
Awesome! I hope it all works out for you.

I don't know about inflation and the economy in general over there but, on this side of the Atlantic, home ownership is becoming out of reach for many.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I remember reading about a Canadian who, fearful that WW3 was about to kick off, and living near the US border felt he would likely cop it, decided to move to the most remote place he could find so that he'd be safe from war and the collapse of society.
He moved to the Falklands two weeks before the Argentinians invaded...

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I remember reading about a Canadian who, fearful that WW3 was about to kick off, and living near the US border felt he would likely cop it, decided to move to the most remote place he could find so that he'd be safe from war and the collapse of society.
He moved to the Falklands two weeks before the Argentinians invaded...
That is a risk no matter where you buy your dream home.

My little piece of heaven in East Texas is suffering from bad governance (my opinion) right now and all the problems "No Borders" is bringing. I should note I tend to think reasonable immigration policies are good for any nation but, what I see locally is bringing in a lot of terror watchlist people and a huge amount of drugs and indentured servitude in addition to good people looking for a better way of life. Japan is a country I look to with very strong immigration laws that are hurting the nation as a whole. In terms of governance, looking at Turkey and Hungary, I see a cautionary note that things can change in unpredictable and negative ways for someone like myself moving somewhere new.

Things have a way of changing in unexpected ways over time so, today I tend to think of more 'mobile' options. That and following a group of citizens that have a similar mindset in the mainstream average of society, or whatever area I am living in.

You also need to consider the possible effects of hostilities and global supply chains. Will you be able to live a happy life if extremist groups start hostilities unexpectedly? Or leave the area of conflict? What happens during the next COVID-like pandemic?

Things like this are changing my thoughts on "If you had no ties and money wasn’t an issue, where would you move to?"

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Awesome! I hope it all works out for you.

I don't know about inflation and the economy in general over there but, on this side of the Atlantic, home ownership is becoming out of reach for many.

Do you mind me asking - are you speaking nationally or locally? IE In Texas itself?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do you mind me asking - are you speaking nationally or locally? IE In Texas itself?
The trend has been gradually growing for decades. However the pandemic gave it a shove. Property prices exploded as people forced to work from home sought to upgrade those homes, either by remodeling or simply buying bigger homes. Others who weren’t so lucky as to be able to work from home simply sat unemployed and were displaced from the market. Then the election turned the economy on its head and nothing has really recovered. All that said some careers are fairing better than others and new construction is definitely happening.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE