British MTP uniform gen 1 and gen 2 difference?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
I have learned from looking through ebay listings that there seems to be two generations of the MTP uniforms smocks/jackets and trousers. Is it the pattern and colours that differ or is it something else? There are also versions for hot climate and colder temperatures right? Are both of those made from rip-stop material?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Mark one which most serving soldiers prefer is designed on the 95 pattern style (BETTER pocket system). The mark two copies the american style with slanted Smaller pockets and more velco is used.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The Mk 2 comes in two variants: Temperate and Tropical for those hotter climates.

With the tropical version being identical from the PCS version (your Mk2) in all but the fabric (more cotton in the mix, looser weave, ripstop as the material is slightly weaker), and the fact it is impregnated with permathrin.

There is a 'mk 3' version coming along soon with minor design tweaks.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
We (6 Rifles) got issued temperate & warm weather MTP gear about a year ago. The warm weather kit gets shredded up really easy. The labels for temperate say 67% polyester 33% cotton. The warm weather stuff is the opposite: 70% cotton 30% polyester, and it's a lot thinner too. I don't think either are ripstop (I thought ripstop was a mesh of stronger threads that run through the fabric but I could be completely wrong!) It doesn't say if it's MK1 or MK 2. From the other posts I'm guessing MK2. What are you thinking of getting? Trousers/smock/jacket (shirt)/ubac...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Ubac shirt plus 95 style trousers are the way ahead. Slanted pockets are a pain when taking a knee. Less said about the liner smock the better.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Simply put Gen 1 is CS95 in MTP pattern (shirt tucked in, straight pockets and visible buttons). Gen 2 is shirt untucked, slanted pockets, shrouded buttons and velcro ID panels.

Gen 3 will see a return to shirt tucked in, with sleeves that are more easily rolled. (Some units are not allowing the Gen 2 sleeves to be rolled no matter what the weather!)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
There is also Tropical, Temperate, Warm weather and windproof versions! Some high profile units are/have trialled other camouflage patterns already as MTP is a Multi Terrain Pattern and not an All Terrain Pattern.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Simply put Gen 1 is CS95 in MTP pattern (shirt tucked in, straight pockets and visible buttons). Gen 2 is shirt untucked, slanted pockets, shrouded buttons and velcro ID panels.

Gen 3 will see a return to shirt tucked in, with sleeves that are more easily rolled. (Some units are not allowing the Gen 2 sleeves to be rolled no matter what the weather!)

I assume this is what they are talking about, the 95 in mtp was an in theatre/per deployment issue, it is fairly lightweight and tears easily so I've kept mine for in camp and hot weather wear. The newer stuff (I have yet to see or meet anyone who has seen the hot weather kit) is pretty good. I found it no harder to get into cargo pockets in the new ones and the material is thicker, more robust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE