Review:- Extreme Outdoor Clothing - Field Smock (V Picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Hi all,

Put this together for another forum member who is thinking of purchasing and thought I may as well share it with everyone else.

This is my review of the Field Smock made by Extreme Outdoor Clothing (www.extremeoutdoorclothing.com) mainly in comparison to my Buffalo Special Shirt 6 which it replaced (after it was nicked?!?!). Apologies for the photos they were taken at work (hence the hideous carpet) on my lunch break!

Ok here goes:-

Fabric

The field smock is made out of Tactel (olive green in my case). The Tactel is a lot thicker and harder wearing than the Pertex 6 that the Buffalo is made out of. I've been snagged on a large number of thorns and it's yet to rip or scuff. It seems to be just as windproof and has the bonus of being quieter in use and has a nicer “feel” to it. Pertex 6 is slightly shinier if you see what I mean and makes a swishing noise in use; the Tactel has a “brushed” surface and has more of a cotton feel to it.

The fibre pile is of just as good quality, warm when wet, wicks well and basically the same as that found in the Buffalo. Both the fibre pile and the Velcro is black in colour. The front pocket is lined with a thin light blue fleece material. I’m not sure why but I actually quite like this dash of blue?!? Less military looking when the pockets are open! Also for some reason, I’m not sure why, inside the smock below the front pocket the fibre pile has been replaced with a 4/5 inch strip of quality black fleece. As this is behind the pocket it maybe that they are trying to cut down on bulk as the fleece is thinner that the fibre pile and combined with the fleece of the pocket there is no reduction in thermal properties.

The front kangaroo map pocket is lined with a back ripstop pertex.

The Tactel has DWR coating which very effectively beads off water. So much so that you can walk in doors having been out in the rain, jump up and down once and the water just falls off you. I’ve worn it in some pretty horrendous weather and never felt damp inside, however, I do retreat it about 3 or 4 times a year and don't wash it particularly offen :eek: . The tactel dries out very quickly when wet (as I'm sure the fibre pile would).

Design

The field smock has the same basic overall design as the buffalo:-

Over the head smock style with chest zip
Zippered side vents
Tunnel style front pockets
Kangaroo style front map pocket

CopyofImage3.jpg

CopyofImage9.jpg

However it has IMHO a few significant style differences that sets it above the buffalo. I’ll start at the top and work my way down.

Neck

The neck is the same design as the buffalo with the same Velcro for a hood, however, it is a lot higher than the buffalo. When zipped up it comes right the way up to my chin and if I shrug down it comes up to my lower lip. Taking this into account it has been tailored to loosely hug the neck and they have put a fleece chin protector across the zip so no chaffing involved. They have also run a piece of elastic cord around the top edge of the neck with a pull toggle at the back of the neck so you can tighten it up and trap warm air in in windy conditions or when you are static. The buffalo was more of a lower mandarin style collar and didn’t have any tightening.

CopyofImage15.jpg

CopyofImage16.jpg

CopyofImage11.jpg

The front/chest

Here the field smock differs slightly again. On the buffalo the front map pocket runs across the chest from armpit to armpit. To make the chest zip as deep as possible in order to maximize ventilation extremeoutdoor have dropped the map pocket so that it’s opening is roughly in line with the top of the tunnel pocket. The storm flap that covers the chest zip is also a lot wider and generally more substantial than that on the buffalo (more Velcro attachments etc). The kangaroo map pocket and the tunnel hand pocket have a webbing loop in one top corner so you can tie compass lanyards etc securing them in the pocket.

CopyofImage1.jpg

CopyofImage7.jpg

CopyofImage8.jpg

Unlike the buffalo the field smock does not have a webbing strap with tightening buckle running across the inside of the tunnel hand pocket to tighten the smock around you waist. If truth be told I never actually used this on my buffalo so I don’t miss it.

Side vents. Ok here is where the smock differs quite considerably from the buffalo. The side vents run all the way from just above the elbow to the bottom hem. On the buffalo the side zips just run up to chest level. On the field smock the vent zips are covered by a strategically Velcro-ed storm flap as far as your armpit. The zip above this area is exposed. I can see why they have done this as a storm flap in the area would just be impractical and annoying. The photos below are a bit deceptive ..... that is actually the back of the smock (it's lying face down) so it doesn't look as though the zips run to the elbows ........ better photos lower down.

CopyofImage12.jpg

CopyofImage13.jpg

Venting options

This took me a wee while to adjust to from the buffalo as the field smock provides a number of different options:- pit vent, body vent or full vent. I’ll explain.

Firstly you can unzip the top zipper (by your elbow) as far as you armpit (where the storm flap starts). The lets fresh air direct to you upper arm and sweaty pit area whilst keeping you body warm. The second "setting" is to zip the lower zipper (by your waist) up to or around your armpit area whilst then connecting the storm flap Velcro with those corresponding on the back of the smock. This allows venting of the body with out the smock flapping around the place. Thirdly you can pull the top zipper to the armpit and then pull the lower zip to meet it and secure the Velcro, this allows full ventilation of both the body a pits/arms again without the smock flapping around.

Here is the smock fully opened up:-

CopyofImage17.jpg

In this photo you can see the fleece strip at the top of the photo:-

CopyofImage18.jpg

CopyofImage19.jpg

I was initially quite skeptical about the arrangement and didn’t think that the Velcro would hold the smock in place …….. it is a bit fiddly at first but after a while you get used to it and it works really quite well.

CopyofImage10.jpg

Combined with the chest zip which comes down to your sternum you can remain much cooler in the field smock than I was in the buffalo.

Bottom hem and cuffs

On the field smock the bottom hem is elasticated both on the front and the back panel. The front of the smock has a bit of permanent (i.e. sealed off) elastic sewn into the hem which holds the front in quite nicely below the waist. The drop tail back panel has an elastic cord sewn in which is adjustable via a tightening toggle on the right hand side of the smock (you can't really see it in the photos as it's covered by the storm flap). This means that, as the smock has a drop tail that comes down to your bum you can tighten it up to stop the loss of any warm air out of the bottom of the smock. A nice design feature that the buffalo doesn’t have, instead relying on the webbing strap in the pocket which wasn’t really as effective.

CopyofImage5.jpg

CopyofImage6.jpg

The cuffs have Velcro tabs to tighten them up and the cuffs are quite wide so you can push them right up to your elbow if needs be. The storm flap on the side vents also has an elongated section on the bottom with a piece of horizontal Velcro which corresponds to a long piece of Velcro on the back of the smock so you can adjust the waist size slightly.

CopyofImage2.jpg

The arms are also articulated so there is no restrictions when you wave them around, they have also moved the seam down to the upper arm so there are no annoying seams on the shoulder which would be a pain with a pack on.

Service

I get the distinct impression that the company isn’t particularly computer savvy hence the preference for printed order forms etc. I ordered (I think ..... to much beer) in about September and was warned that as they are a small company and the winter is their busiest time of year that the order would take 4-6 weeks. This wasn’t a problem as I wasn’t in a rush. It actually ended up at being about 8 weeks. Again I wasn’t too fussed as they warned me when there was a delay.

Communications were a bit slow at times as emails weren’t responded to for sometime (but they were all responded to eventually). I did phone on occasion and left voice mails and Keith the owner took to text messaging me updates which were informative and prompt.

Keith is a nice guy and will help were ever possible (i.e. in telling you how to take the different measurements …….. some of which I’d never heard of before!) and was quite apologetic when the order was delayed.

All in all quite good serive seeing as they were run off their feet.

Summary

IMHO this is definitely at step up from the buffalo. However, bizarrely it is a bit cheaper ……. go figure?! They tailormake them to your size so you are guaranteed to have a good fit and if for some reason it doesn’t you can send it back and they will re-tailor or make a new one. When you order a catalog they will send out some sample swatches with different colours (everything from flame red, brown, olive green, blue, purple etc etc) available and different materials (you can also get it made in pertex if you like).

The whole smock feels very natural when being worn and doesn’t restrict you in anyway (unlike the buffalo which did feel a little restrictive at times .... especially around the arms). It’s very warm when it needs to be but can also be as cool as you want.

However, there are few things I will point out. Not really detracting points but a few things you should know. The elastic cord in the top of the collar is good, however, one slight annoyance is that the due to the twisting in the elastic cord as it was sewn in the toggle to tighten it up (and the knot in the cord that keeps the toggle in place) curves it in towards your head so it keeps on poking me in the back of the head. Not a huge drama but a bit of an annoyance really. I replaced the “square” toggle with a smaller smooth “round” one and re-tied the knot as small as I could, this has lessened the problem but not removed it completely. I’m not sure how they would remedy this as if you moved the cord to the middle of the collar it would mean another seam (more chance to leak) and might not be as effective at trapping the warm air or keeping the rain out. It’s just something you get used to (I don't notice it if I have wool hat/baseball cap on) and it isn’t really that much of a problem.

Secondly is that due to the Tactel and overall sturdiness of the smock it is quite heavy (heavier than a buffalo …… but only just) and also it doesn’t pack down particularly small (none of the fibre pile jackets do).

Overall I’d highly recommend the field smock. Much better than a buffalo, a few notes cheaper and tailor made its pretty hard to beat. Mine is hardly off my back and it really excels in the UK’s cold damp climate. But order as far in advance as you can and expect delays (so you aren’t disappointed). It’s worth the wait.

P.S. For those of you who paddle these guys supplied the Royal Marines "Boat Troop" ;) with the APS Jacket, Hood and Trousers for use in Kayaks in Norway. Got the thumbs up too.

Reactions: scanker

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This is a great company to buy from - good prices for excellent kit!
I have used lots of their stuff in the past, and still use a lot today tho I have worn out some items!
Kieth used to do more stuff including a very good jacket based on the OLD style SAS smock. I still use this for bushy activities and it is realy tough and comfortable.
Great kit good prices, great (personal) service - what more can you ask....
John

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Good review. Thanx, Monster.
I personally do not like pile too much. (Hope this fits in the thread) Mainly because
I wear a tactical vest on top, so the ventilation does not work. (correct?)
If the pile is "pressed" to the body all the time this should make a wet and soon
smelly thing.
Do you agree or is this pile-ignorance?

(But of course the FieldSmock looks like a fine piece of clothing)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Thanks everyone glad you liked it!

John Fenna said:
This is a great company to buy from - good prices for excellent kit!
I have used lots of their stuff in the past, and still use a lot today tho I have worn out some items!
Kieth used to do more stuff including a very good jacket based on the OLD style SAS smock. I still use this for bushy activities and it is realy tough and comfortable.
Great kit good prices, great (personal) service - what more can you ask....
John

Yep I think he still does a few different cotten/ventile garments both originaly made for the film industry but you can still order them. Haven't seen the old SAS smock though.

At the moment he does the Alpine Windproof Smock. Based on the reversable smocks issued to the WW2 German Alpine Corp. He makes it in either ventile or cotton.

He also does the "Where Eagles Dare" Jacket based on the one in the film. Always wanted one of these!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE