MTP Smocks…any users and can they be dyed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
I have seen online the pcs mtp smocks and was looking at getting one for the outdoors as they are a lot cheaper than ventile.

The material seems good-a polyester cotton mix and they seem to have pockets all over the place.

Question please,
has anyone successfully dyed the the camouflage pattern to a more neutral color?

There are different types on Ebay. There are ones with mesh lining and without. The mesh looks like a great idea but it might be fiddly. Wear out quickly/snag on clothes.

Has anyone tried these out and can comment about them-are they a good buy and which type do you look for?
Thanks!

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have seen online the pcs mtp smocks and was looking at getting one for the outdoors as they are a lot cheaper than ventile.

The material seems good-a polyester cotton mix and they seem to have pockets all over the place.

Question please,
has anyone successfully dyed the the camouflage pattern to a more neutral color?

There are different types on Ebay. There are ones with mesh lining and without. The mesh looks like a great idea but it might be fiddly. Wear out quickly/snag on clothes.

Has anyone tried these out and can comment about them-are they a good buy and which type do you look for?
Thanks!

They are nice jackets. The mesh lining is nice as you can undo the two verital zip pockets and get some ventilation. The newest versions are material lined instead of mesh.

I have been tempted to try and dye one, but never got round to it, I think the best you will get is subduding the camo a bit.

I bought a plain colour copy of the PCS smock, costs a bit more (in the region of £50-60) but you can get them in OG and black.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
leaky5's right about only really being able to subdue the pattern. Even using a dye remover first doesn't quite work on them.
I think there's also a no-see-you type coating on them too that can make dyeing even more ineffective. Shame really, usually nice practical jackets.

M

Reactions: tiger stacker

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
leaky5,
if one is buying online, what is the version to look for in seller's description for the non mesh garment versus the mesh lined smock?
Sorry..lots of jackets on ebay floating around. Helps to narrow it down.
Thanks.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
leaky5,
if one is buying online, what is the version to look for in seller's description for the non mesh garment versus the mesh lined smock?
Sorry..lots of jackets on ebay floating around. Helps to narrow it down.
Thanks.
Pretty much impossible unless they either show a picture of the inside of the jacket or mention it in the description. Otherwise you will have to ask the seller.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
leaky5,
thanks.

snappingturtle,

I just wanted to tone the color of the fabric down a bit if possible…anyhow, I was thinking of some DIY dyeing projects on the cheap .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"I dye Poly" is the stuff you want if the jacket is mixed fibres. Made by Dylon. Instructions on the packet. Otherwise, and it does sometimes work on the nylon type stuff depending on just how 'worked' you require, is to do the whole big black bin and two boxes of as cheap as you can find tea bags...or ground up oak bark or galls. Tannin really. It'll darken it, tone it down without turning it into a kind of black on black urban camo.

M

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The alternative is an Arktis jacket - lots of different colours including black and green - check ebay

I have an arktis smock, I customised mine by removing the sleev pocket, centre rank slider, shoulder boards and the 2 box chest pockets. Main reason was to ‘de-tactical-ise’ it.

It’s actually quite a good coat, pretty good in a storm, and quite waterproof - not as good as actual goretex- but works well.

Tough outer layer that’s resisted thorns etc with ease.

Very windproof, and with layers it’s actually very good in the winter.

I got mine used in black but there are lots of colours available

Reactions: Billy-o

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have dyed mine using Idye poly and Idye cotton together in dark brown. Boiled in a barrel. Still shows camo pattern but very subdued after waxing, pic is pre waxed.0C38qw1.jpg

Reactions: leaky5 and MrEd

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
The black Dylon can turn out as a very dark blue, if it doesnn't take.
I tried dying some curtains a while ago (to make a blackout blind) and the result was blue, with the existing pattern showing through.
Not sure if I didn't have it dying for long enough, or strong enough?

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
yes, you can dye these smocks, I think I got a better (darker brown) result as the one foto in here.
though I dyed it twice, first time with a regular dye for mixed fibers, and after a little while (determining if i was happy with the first result) and after that a second time with the Dylon poly thing. after that I was happy with it.

though I have to mention, it will not be "on the cheap" , that stuf (dye) is quite expensive. a second thing is that from the dying and washing afterwards, all the pores will open on the smock, and the rain repellents are gone!, afterwards you have quite a nice soft (used looking) smock.
third, In my opinion you can best use a desert camo type smock, in the MTP are too many strong spots (that shine trough afterwards), that's less with a dsert dpm verstion.

I'll have to see if I can post a foto of it here,

cheers,

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I forgot to mention that you have to use quite a bit of salt in the dye process, to open the fabric's pores,so the dye holds better. I had a foto after the first time dyed,and one from the second time as well, but it seems I lost the first foto.

how can I place a foto here?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have an arktis smock, I customised mine by removing the sleev pocket, centre rank slider, shoulder boards and the 2 box chest pockets.

That' s a good idea ... a few options of what to leave and keep, too

De-tactilizing DPM would be a feat, but I do see your point

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
That' s a good idea ... a few options of what to leave and keep, too

De-tactilizing DPM would be a feat, but I do see your point

I basically got rid of the bits I didn’t use, it’s still a bit tactical but less so now. I do like the baggy side pockets though.

DPM is hard to ‘de-militarise’ but you could remove or add pockets, dye it, change the buttons, remove rank sliders etc, fit a fur ruff on the hood of its hooded and winter coat, etc.

I have a Danish flecktarn pattern coat, I just removed the Velcro rank bits and the flag and insignia, I left the shoulder boards though as they are sewn in (the arktis they were sewn ‘on’) and I didn’t want to resew the seams.

Because it’s not British army pattern and is more subtle, it feels less ‘tactical military’ wearing it in the uk (to me anyway)

My arktis is black and I wear it at night when out watching owls/badgers etc or down on the coast as it’s very windproof and mostly waterproof, and very quiet as a coat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE