British Blades Forum - down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
or better still we should start a contacts thred, most of the old hands have the contacts if the buyers relied on BB

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
or better still we should start a contacts thred, most of the old hands have the contacts if the buyers relied on BB

It's not that straightforward. It would need to be in a private area of the forum, and only with the permission of the sellers, who would have to be invited. BCUK can't just publish contact details, nor would the mods be expected to deal with the invites, the possibility of deals gone wrong, etc. This is not predominantly a knife forum either.

Published emails and phone numbers are also prone to spam, and the Data Protection Act comes into play regarding publishing.

Generally, I reckon it's not too difficult to get hold of someone if necessary.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
It's not that straightforward. It would need to be in a private area of the forum, and only with the permission of the sellers, who would have to be invited. BCUK can't just publish contact details, nor would the mods be expected to deal with the invites, the possibility of deals gone wrong, etc. This is not predominantly a knife forum either.

Published emails and phone numbers are also prone to spam, and the Data Protection Act comes into play regarding publishing.

Generally, I reckon it's not too difficult to get hold of someone if necessary.

Well aware of the DPA I wasn't suggesting it went that far just a thread were people could reach out

Not all of us have the same user name throughout so they could well be on here under a different name. Some of us might know the other person and could help with contact or at least suggest another forum that said individual might frequent.

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I hope it is back up soon. I really enjoy that forum. Also someone on there is making a couple of sheaths for me.

A lot of BB members are on here too, so worth a search of the community to see if you. can find them. It's also worth looking on Edge Matters and Real Outdoor Forums, but for the future if you are dealing with someone on BB it would seem prudent to get their email address or other contact details because BB's presently up and down more often than.....well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I don't know if this time is anything new but it's not a Database Error for me, my computers are not loading the website at all.

Does this mean British Blades is banjoed this time? As in, bill due paid so close it?

Anyone's guess I'm afraid as the Owner, Martyn is the only one in the know and hasn't responded to texts from his admin. The BB staff are but mushrooms at times like this I'm afraid. :(

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
The admin at BB are great, they do their best to let members know whats happening when the site goes down.

However, they dont own the Paypal account where all of those memberships are paid to, Martyn does.

How many £10's a year? He's very happy to take the money, but does nothing all to let anyone know whats happening, or to even apologise. If i pay a subscription for say Netflix, and I cant use Netflix, they will reimburse me and apologise.

Obviously BB is no Netflix, but an apology would be nice, along with assurances of what are being done to ensure it wont happen again.

I have huge respect for Mods and Admin, but I feel sometimes Martyn abuses these guys in situations like this.

Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know there are issues, and that some folks are frustrated, but it is also known that Martyn is ill, and as a general rule we don't permit cross forum spats. This thread is becoming just a little too close to that to be comfortable.
By all means discuss, but thoughtfully please.

M

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I wasn't aware that Martyn was ill. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I have been a member of BB for a few years now, and i love the place, the people, the knowledge, the photo's of lovely sharp things :) I try and be an active contributor and will post advice or help where i feel i can help.

Perhaps my post below came across a bit stronger than I wanted, but for me, BB is a business at the end of the day, and we, the members, are the consumers/customers. There is enough money being made through BB to justify paying someone to be there when things go wrong, be that admin/mods or paying someone part time. The mods/admin bare the brunt of the frustration (for free) which I would see as too much an ask if I was the owner of BB. I do not mean any offence to anyone by saying this, I am just being honest.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I'm with Mary here. This is clearly frustrating for us all, but any ranting needs doing over on BB when and if it reappears. I'm happy to respond to PM's, but please let's keep this thread for information rather than lose another channel of communication for those affected while BB is down and everyone is uncertain about things. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You are perilously close to that cross forum spat I mentioned, and ranting here about another forum will also get you the 'high-jump'…..well, no, but you will be edited and you will be politely and firmly asked to desist. Persistance will get you the high jump.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You and I clearly have a difference on what a rant is. You think I'm ranting on my previous post, please say where?

And childishly silly leading comments about banning me isn't exactly the height of maturity either is it, Mary?

Anyway, I'm finished commenting on BB and the person who owns it.

Cross forum, and you do not chide a Mod who has already commented on the thread. You don't know me well enough to be invited to call me by my name either.

You're finished commenting here too for the present.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE