British Army sandals - Thoughts/Opinions

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello All.

I need a new pair of outdoor walking sandals, money is tight and I have been looking at the British Army sandal.

It looks the part but is it any good?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated, additionally any help with working the the sizing would be helpful.

Thanks.

Link to one of many sellers.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Hi Sandbender I have a pair the same as your link and find them very comfortable and hard wearing. Size wise mine are the same as I would normally wear in a shoe.
Good buy IMHO.
Riven.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I can't help, like most decent shoes they don't make them in smaller sizes. I always end up with Teva kids' sandals which are pretty hard wearing but they only come in gaudy colours.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I had a pair of those years ago and they were great. Didn't know they were issue? Although our kid gave me them so makes sense :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've worn the desert ones for many long hikes, prefer them to the standard jobbies as they are non-slip footbed; the trouble I've found is buying the right size, seems to be one of those items that come in a 6, 12 or 13 and
not much doing in between. I bought a pair of Clarkes sandals on the bay last year, new without box for less than twenty pounds but alas since I've had my knee done they don't suit any more; they're a standard men's 9 in brown, and somebody who could use them can have them for postage :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"... they're a standard men's 9 in brown, and somebody who could use them can have them for postage :)

Too small for me, I'm a big Scottish lad. :)

A good deal for someone though, my current pair were made by Clarks and were purchased in 97, they have since walked about five and a half thousand miles on the original sole.

Good tip about the desert version sole.

:)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Am I missing something here? Surely a sandal for outdoor use is horribly impractical. I'd end up with toes off!

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
yeah, I find handles very uncomfortable as well specially those shiny chrome ones, very slippery when wet !
Haha, I'll take that one! But seriously though I wouldn't much fancy walking through nettles or kicking a rock accidentally with open toed footwear

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wear them a lot these days as Im on the beach.

No experience of the army sandal, but I once had a pair of their trainers, comfy and lasted well, fine if you like gunky green.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Am I missing something here? Surely a sandal for outdoor use is horribly impractical. I'd end up with toes off!

To each his own.

These ones replaced a pair of Clarks All-Terrain sandals baught in 1998. I'd guess that those probably walked around five thousand miles through desert, rocky terrain, the very thorny Turkish and Greek countryside and some bits of Scotland.

After a while your feet toughen up, the odd scratch or thorn doesn't matter anymore and you don't have to carry or wash socks and the weight saving in not having boots pays for itself.

Insects can be a problem though, especially in Scotland. :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
To each his own.

These ones replaced a pair of Clarks All-Terrain sandals baught in 1998. I'd guess that those probably walked around five thousand miles through desert, rocky terrain, the very thorny Turkish and Greek countryside and some bits of Scotland.

After a while your feet toughen up, the odd scratch or thorn doesn't matter anymore and you don't have to carry or wash socks and the weight saving in not having boots pays for itself.

Insects can be a problem though, especially in Scotland. :)

Good point actually. I've recently started going barefoot around the camp but am always concious about stubbing my toe. Can't argue with results I guess mate :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Found one of the biggest problems for your average Brit wearing sandals for the first time is sunburn. :eek:
Most Brit blokes have their feet festering in shoes and socks for most of the year. Then they go somewhere sunny and expose their lilly white skin to the strange fireball in the sky, get sunburnt feet and can't walk anywhere. Can be really bad news in the back of beyond.
Also they buy them too small with no "bumper room" for the toes and thats why they end up with staved tootsies.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
they look sound....but ive been wearing zero shoes hurraches to death this year. they do a barefoot sandle too. i cant get over how comfortable and grippy on a massive aray of surfaces wet and dry. im sure their sandale will be as good.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE