british army pro boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 2, 2004
for a few years now i have been using the british army issue pro boot.these are gortex and thinsulate lined and are absolutely terrific! i use the nicwax aqua stuff to take care of them but is there something else i should use other than polish and dubbin for the leather? also i heard a rumour that there are other ways to lace up boots for support ? any truth in it?....also ,when i return from saltwater pursuits the salty residue makes me think about damage to the leather,any answers...

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I bought a grade 1 pair on ebay for £35 I think. I just watched every pair for a couple of weeks til I found a pair that suited me. I may have got lucky as thay are in pretty good nick with minimal wearing on the soles. Would have been better to try before i got them but they are great boots.... if a little cumbersome compared to some of the dedicated mountain/hillwalking boots.

Mar 2, 2004
ta for the link james.
i got my first pair at the midland game fair bout 5 years ago,then spotted a pair of brand new ones for 45 quid!!! yes real ones. right place at right time i think but the surpluss supplier had a load of em he needed to shift.
your right larry theyre a bit more cumbersome than walking boots but for general campwear they are brilliant.
never got my feet wet in a pair ,nor have i had cold feet either.
james ,just get a pair ,you will love them for general forrest work and farting about.
ps the old type have the lacing further towards the toe while the new versions are further back.
check the piccy
http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thenaughtyboy/knife.jpg
http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thenaughtyboy/crawfordsburn_012.jpg

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for that I'll have to check out the pic over the weekend as big brother is watching.

As you said it's stomp around in the woods and camp I want them for. I had an old pair of Belgium surpluss boots up until about a year ago, had them for nearly 8 year and they were walked into the ground. So I have been looking for a replacement that will last hopfully as long.

Thanks Again and I hope you found something useful on the link.

James

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i also am a fan.
a couple of things to watch out for!!

the previous user (squaddie) will have cared more about looks than function, so they could be covered in a non breathable wax polish, not much you can do about it though.

if you fill them with water leave them for 24 hours or so you will soon see if there are holes as the water will be evident!(do it in a bowl!)

mine have always failed in the same area where the lace part of leather joins the top of the foot

try sorbothene insoles to reduce shock.

the white salt stains may be your sweat if so wash them.

if the salt is from the sea wash it any way with clean (non salt)water.

a good boot though has seen me through a few miles!

leon-1

Hi, I was one of those squaddies, that may have cared more about looks than functionality, I was one of the guys that trialled the pro boot before it became general issue. The original set lasted me for about six years before the sole became too smooth to grip properly.
A lot of us used to use Nikwax on our boots since at the time they were classed as being a feild boot and not something to be worn on parade, it seemed to do the job.
As far as laceing is concerned the link that has been sent is very good (almost mirroring some of the different styles of laceing that we used), sometimes it is better to try changeing the laceing just to find out what suites you best.

Mar 2, 2004
cool leon.tell me ,how do you rate the zip up speed lacing thingys?
i also use nikwax on mine but wet them first as its absorbed more that way.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I tend to warm my boots up a little (leave them in a warm room ) and then warm the Nikwax up and then wet the boots with warm/hot water and apply the wax by hand and leave it to cool and them buff with a rag.

leon-1

Wih reference to applying Nikwax to wet or warm boots, I have tried both, I have also in my insanity tried applying Nikwax to boots that have been immersed in warm water trying to get the benefit of both effects. However to do this you normally end up having to wear the boot untill it is dry since they tend to get very stiff if you don't keep working the leather.

Zip systems in boots, I have used what they used to call Zippits, they were quite good, but you had to effectively tie of each individual hole that matched your laceing, if you didn't you could find that either the Zippit split or you could end up with quite sore / tired feet at the end of the day.

To be honest a good boot with a speed laceing system is pretty much as fast and a lot more comfortable to use over a prolonged period of time.

leon-1

Should have mentioned the soaked boots in warm water was done with a set of boots combat high, whatever you do don't do it with Pro Boots, your feet will come out sore as hell and like a coupleof bags of bleached prunes.
If a pro boot gets soaked they take forever to dry, as Adi said put them in a warm dry place with newspaper in them, but if they are clean add your Nikwax then.
If you have a boot that has dried out go to the local farriers and get some saddle soap this will aid you in getting some suppleness back into the uppers (if a boot is laced correctly they will still give the correct support even with the leather being supple).

H

HaggisBasher

Hi All

Can you guys tell me do Pro Boots fit to normal shoe size or is there a variation. If it varies any ideas how much.

Thanks
Tom

N

narsil

Hi

I've owned a pair of the old style goretex pro-boots but they eventually got killed of by an excursion into Gibraltar Harbour :-?

I replaced them with a pair of they new style non-goretex ones, which i've actually forund to be a lot better. In fact i've epretty much gone off goretex boots altogether. Leather boots should be pretty water resistant anyway and iI find that goretex or not my feet will get wet sooner of later anyway either from river crossing, rain seeping in the tops or just from sweat and goretex boots do indeed take an age to dry.

The new style pro boots seem pretty good to me, pretty comfy reasonable light and fairly robust. They seem to correspond to normal shoe sizes in my experience but I usually add on half a size or so to allow for wearing wooly socks

Mar 2, 2004
i may be wrong narsil m8 but i thought it was the gor-tex and thinsulate lining that made the pro boot different from the standard issue assault boot. if it aint gor-tex then they arnt pro-boots. perhaps someone still in the forces could elaborate as its been a while for me and im i bit cloudy on this.
i do know that the standard assault boot is nowhere near as good as the proboot as far as waterproofing goes nor are they as warm in my view.if you can get a good pair at the right money you will never wear the standard boot through choice again! :-D

N

narsil

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/silver/docs/productpics/protactical.htm

here we go that should make it a bit clearer. The old style pro boots are now sold as pro boot 'classics', the new ones are a slightly differnent design but have most of the same features except goretex. i suspect that users found that the goretex wore out long before the rest of the boot.
They also do a version called 'stealth' which haev magnum type fabric uppers.

I personally think that goretex socks or similar are a better bet than integral liners since you can replace them if they get damaged and leave them off if its a bit warm.

The new pro boots are still a cut above the assault boots (which I have never really got on with) since they are well padded, a good fit and have decent speed lacing. I chose them because they are better than 'normal' army boots but not as expensive as the really flash one like lowa combats or danners. BTW I much prefer high leg boots to ankle length hgiking type ones but thats just a personal preference.

Mar 2, 2004
hmmm i suspect its a completly different boot m8.the link in my earlier post shows the british army pro boots ,old and new version and also shows the thinsulate lining in both.also on the side of them is stamped into the leather the words pro boot.they dont resemble your link even remotly ,i wonder if its just a matter of branding?
they resemble the likes of the magnum boot more to my eye.

although i did say im not up to date on these and if the new ones are indeed not gortex then i must buy up a few pairs for the future.

leon-1

thanks GUY'S & GAL'S for the belief in army kit, but the fact is that anything with a heavy lining in a hot enviroment can cause problems.

There are probably very few people that can give you examples, to or/of the very fit in arid envriroments, but I watched a comrade in arms collapse on a march (this was due to him wearing Danner boots in Cyprus).
You can argue as much as you want, this is a fact, heat exhaustiont due to the amount of fluid lost through their feet.

The Pro-Boot is great in a temperate area /or in cold weather, but the nice breathable stuff is only good for the enviroment that it was designed for, you exceed its margins and you will have problems.

The law is "you look after your feet and they will look after you

I abided by this for 13years it holds true

T

Tricky

Hi

Just Bought myself a pair o new pro boots (75 quid :) ) , Asked the guy whose company was selling them if they were the "new" type or the original and he explained that they were the original ones manufactured by G B Britton in the UK , prior to the MOD being strapped for cash and sub contracting the manufacture of these boots to the cheapest bidder ( they are now manufactured in spain ) needless to say using cheaper materials noticably that the leather is a bit thinner and the newer boots are more prone to splitting and breaking, dunno if this was his spiel in just selling them to me but as i was also looking at danner matterhorns and lowa's that were considerably dearer, i tended to believe him

also according to the lovely little leaflet that comes with the boots , explainig all the wonderful delights of these boots even how to lace them properly , it says that the Cambrelle Lining helps keep the feet hygenic in the summer ( Time will tell with that one , the indicator will be when the dog,s nose explodes )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE