british army arctic/90 patt sleeping bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I am thinking about getting one of these for winter camping but don't want to splash any cash without hearing a few reviews first to make sure its a good investment.

I have tryed searching through old posts but there isn't any reviews or in use pics.

Im 5ft10 so i think the medium size one would be appropriate for me rather than the large.

I have gleemed from a few posts that they are warm but bulky.
Can anyone else give me a bit more info and opinions on them

Cheers

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i dont know if mine is the arctic one but it is deffo ex mod as it has the old occupents military number and regiment written inside it, lol. but back to your question , i can deffinetly recomend mine for cold-winter camping 6they are extremly warm i just wear my boxers and a tee shirt when camping out under a basha. p.s they also have 2 massive mesh pockets inside for secure item storage,also be aware the bag is heavy and quite large even when compressed into the mod sack ,but they r excelent value for money i got mine last year for £29.99.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i just googled your question and it came up with various anwsers and sites selling them, one which was selling the synthetic 90 bag and was also selling a down filled arctic one ,have u also looked at the 58 pattern ones they are good in the cold weather and have waterproof sides and bottoms ?

Shadowolf

Feb 3, 2011
Stourport on Severn England
you are better off with 90 pattern scratcher as the 58 is not waterproof trust me i've spent enough time in them!!! yes the 90 pattern is bulky perfect for winter bushcraft weekend. in this case it's a trade off between size and weight and warmth and comfort. I'm 6ft and i had the large and spent many nights up in brecon, and was cosy so much so that i've dried damp clothes from the heat off my body. with an issue bivi bag you cant go far wrong.

SW

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
the arctic one is lovely but its to heavy to carry around and over kill most of the time.

the 58 is feather and still a good bag we didn't have bivvy bags and still managed to keep them dry in the army.

i would go for a latest issue or a snugpak depending on your budget ebay can be a horror but there is some good stuff from reputable sellers just now,prices vary you have to search.
i bought a new warm weather issue bag at a very good price.

bit of a guide here the right one this time :D

http://www.cadetdirect.com/searchresults.php

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the arctic one is lovely but its to heavy to carry around and over kill most of the time.

the 58 is feather and still a good bag we didn't have bivvy bags and still managed to keep them dry in the army.

i would go for a latest issue or a snugpak depending on your budget ebay can be a horror but there is some good stuff from reputable sellers just now,prices vary you have to search.
i bought a new warm weather issue bag at a very good price.

bit of a guide here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70336

Think you linked to the wrong page dude.

The Arctic bag is fantastic, yes it is big but if you have a decent sized Bergen if will fit to probs, it,s warm, strong resists mildew, can be washed in you machine at home and line dried or tumbled on a low heat, if you start hummocking its great as a winter duvet, mine weighs 3.4kg in the compression bag, but I don't use that when out, just set it up in a bivvy bag with a roll mat two and roll the whole lot up an plonk inside me Bergen,nice quick dry set up. if you feel the need to wear your boots to bed for some reason, not to worry it is plenty durable enough to take the knocks and scrapes, then just wash when home, worth every penny and more of the thirty pounds you can pick one up for.

At 5'10" I would suggest the large as i am the same same height and have a medium( my fault when exchanging) it fits OK but would like the little bit extra room the large gives you.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Thank you gor your replies guys.
I have a lowe alpine sting pack; so i think i may end up with the main compartment full of sleeping bag if i go for the issue bag. But at the prices i have seen them going for i could buy 2 or 3 of them for the price of a snugpack bag of similar rating.

Do the suffer from condensation when using them in the bivi bag?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thank you gor your replies guys.
I have a lowe alpine sting pack; so i think i may end up with the main compartment full of sleeping bag if i go for the issue bag. But at the prices i have seen them going for i could buy 2 or 3 of them for the price of a snugpack bag of similar rating.

Do the suffer from condensation when using them in the bivi bag?

We used to stamp them into the bergen for quickness rather than use the compression sack. You will get a bit of condensation unless it's a goretex bivi, but not a real problem as it'll evaporate as you air it.

Hope this helps.

Liam

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
I am thinking about getting one of these for winter camping but don't want to splash any cash without hearing a few reviews first to make sure its a good investment.

I have tryed searching through old posts but there isn't any reviews or in use pics.

Im 5ft10 so i think the medium size one would be appropriate for me rather than the large.

I have gleemed from a few posts that they are warm but bulky.
Can anyone else give me a bit more info and opinions on them

Cheers

its a fine bag for the money, but it is not a arctic bag the british army only do two bags jungle and genral issue. its used in the arctic slept in with base layers, they are trying a new modular one at the moment but im still waiting to find out the ressults on this.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
its a fine bag for the money, but it is not a Arctic bag the British army only do two bags jungle and general issue. its used in the Arctic slept in with base layers, they are trying a new modular one at the moment but I'm still waiting to find out the results on this.

sleeping bag,Arctic, medium here's the NSN for you chap, 8465-99-084-5093 as far as I know it comes in two sizes medium and large.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
thats the one every calls the jungle bag.

well they are wrong there is a warm weather one which is different spec Afghanistan etc. to the jungle one which has a mozzie net,anti bacterial etc.for humid conditions different weights as well.
i have a new warm weather one on the way

on this page

http://www.cadetdirect.com/products2.php?subcat=409

jungle one is made by snugpak i believe and maybe the warm on as well.

i notice some sellers using wrong photo and giving wrong details as it is a bit confusing.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I like mine a lot.
A plus side is that the compression sack is big enough to stuff my jacket inside and use it as a pillow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE