Brew kits.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
LAmper - why have the burner so low? Would it be better in the middle slot? I reckon the whitebox stove is an even better burner for the honey stove. Its what I'll probably take with mine if I ever get out using it. Although I wonder if the can type stoves could get too hot enclosed in the honey stove.

Noone has mentioned a caldera cone yet.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
LAmper - why have the burner so low? Would it be better in the middle slot? I reckon the whitebox stove is an even better burner for the honey stove. Its what I'll probably take with mine if I ever get out using it. Although I wonder if the can type stoves could get too hot enclosed in the honey stove.

Noone has mentioned a caldera cone yet.

Its the angle of the picture.

The Honey has 5 slids in the side, you can see i have missed the first 2 so its in the slot 3, the middle one. This actually burns very efficently here.

White box stove work well with the honey, but you have to use all 6 sides and center panel. I use the trangia because the slits on the side are cut to fit the burner, so you can use it in a stripped down 4 piece mode.

Primus Express with an Antigravity gear 3 cup pot (much lighter than any titanium pot despite being made out of aluminium).

Of course on a dayhike I never take a brew kit as a small thermos full of hot chocolate suits me just fine. I don't really have time on a day hike to stop for a boil up, I'm too busy moving on to the next quality view (in the Lakes so theyre around every corner). I guess I don't fit in here as much as some because I prefer to reduce weight and on a dayhike when my sack weighs 600g and I barely fill it in order to save weight then a brew kit is not an option, I'd prefer a spare hat or something instead.
BTW Kelly Kettles on a day hike? A bit heavy aren't they? What else do you carry, a kitchen sink? Actually you can get a folding sink that weighs less than 100g so not that stupid on a simple day hike. Of course if you have a metal cup and means to light a fire then that's light enough for me for a brew kit.

Paul,

I'm with you here on weight from. I will carry a 4 piece honey though with a trangia burner and some meths. The whole kit comes in at 250g approx, and I just heat up my Snowpeak 600ml Ti cup.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
can i just say that i was asking people opinions on what they would take for a whole day walking. I should also have clarified in the initial post that quite often a little walk can turn into an overnighter for me so all of these systems are brilliant.

Well the words you used were "just for a walk", but nevertheless, if you are walking all day, then weight and bulk are a consideration surely? Somebody mentioned a kelly kettle - the smallest weighs 1.5 lbs - why carry something that heavy all day long and for miles on end, when you can carry something that weighs just a few ounces? I think the fascination with aboriginal and hobo type cooking methods are all very well, but it seems sometimes a bit overkill.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well the words you used were "just for a walk", but nevertheless, if you are walking all day, then weight and bulk are a consideration surely? Somebody mentioned a kelly kettle - the smallest weighs 1.5 lbs - why carry something that heavy all day long and for miles on end, when you can carry something that weighs just a few ounces? I think the fascination with aboriginal and hobo type cooking methods are all very well, but it seems sometimes a bit overkill.

It's a fair point if you're trying to cover lots of ground with a light pack, like on a trail or covering point A to B as fast as possible. But for some of us it's just an excuse to go for a walk in the woods and sit down for a brew and a looksee for a while.
Probably not the best forum to be on if you don't like playing with fire Martyn :rolleyes:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If I'm out for a walk in the woods, chances are I have SWMBO with me.
The ability to make a quick brew up at a nice spot and be able to present her with a cup of hot chocolate is worth the weight of the mug/pocket stove combo.
There isn't much weight difference between this combo and a decent flask.
The brownie points I earn from this little act are incalculable.
Keep SWMBO happy, the life you save may be your own!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Given that I would always want to carry some water anyway, I'm not sure that using a flask instead of a stove really saves much weight... A full '58 pattern bottle is about 1kg, and my Lifeventure 0.5L flask is another 740g when full. I'm pretty sure that's more than my Crusader mug / cooker plus micro meths stove, foil lid and windsheild, a small (100ml) container of meths, and brew requisites.

But yeah, the KK does seem like a bit of a lump to be lugging around...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Actually, that flask weight is for the Ti flask, not the (discontinued?) alu one, so it's probably more...

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
It's a fair point if you're trying to cover lots of ground with a light pack, like on a trail or covering point A to B as fast as possible. But for some of us it's just an excuse to go for a walk in the woods and sit down for a brew and a looksee for a while.
Probably not the best forum to be on if you don't like playing with fire Martyn :rolleyes:

Oh I love it mate, huge fun.

But if I'm out for a long walk, I aint gonna be packing a kelly kettle in me daysack. For me there is a practical limit - and if I'm carrying it on me back for miles, that limit is pretty low. I think that is where I have an issue with "bushcraft" tbh. Sometimes the pursuit of anything bushcraft, seems to be at the expense of common sense. That's where it all starts to look like a fantasy role playing game to me. I find a lot of the subjects fascinating and love playing with the kit, but from a practical point of view, some of the "bushcraft" solutions offered up are not the best or most practical.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
In the interests of science and the fact that I've never bothered about it before, I've just weighed my KK and it comes in a 550g. Awkwardly bulky but not heavy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh I love it mate, huge fun.

But if I'm out for a long walk, I aint gonna be packing a kelly kettle in me daysack. For me there is a practical limit - and if I'm carrying it on me back for miles, that limit is pretty low. I think that is where I have an issue with "bushcraft" tbh. Sometimes the pursuit of anything bushcraft, seems to be at the expense of common sense. That's where it all starts to look like a fantasy role playing game to me. I find a lot of the subjects fascinating and love playing with the kit, but from a practical point of view, some of the "bushcraft" solutions offered up are not the best or most practical.

But isn't that what it's all about anyway ?

As an example, it's not as though any of us need to head out to the woods and sleep out under a piece of nylon when there's a perfectly good bed at home. Nobody needs to make pot hangers and cook over a fire when there's an oven in their kitchen.

It is about getting away from the norm for me, if that's role playing then I don't mind. :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Going out for a day walk is not really bushcraft and neither is making a brew with a stove and a pot at lunchtime. I thought bushcraft was all about making fires, shelters and living off the land as much as you can.that usually means you are not likely to be going for long walks but are likely to be looping out and back from a base where you have a shelter and fire place set up. Or am I wrong with that assumption?

I'm a backpacking hillwalker who comes on this site for inspiration for alternative technologies and uses for things. By that I mean I like to get tips from many sources so that I can learn new skills and techniques and gear so I can apply them to my activities. You can learn a lot from different sources if you want to. Just like there is a community of ultralight gear freaks and MYOG (make your own gear) types on some other outdoor activity forums there are similar types here just with wood, axes and bigger knives. Same type of mentality. If you can't buy it make it.

Underlying all that you do need realism. As much as I like the Kelly Kettles I doubt I will buy one as they are too bulky and heavy IMHO although 550g is lighter than I thought they would be (still heavier than about 2-3 different stove and pot selections I have when combined).

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
You never know where a walk can take you sometimes i'll find a piece of flint and end up sitting down for a while and mess about making arrow heads just because i feel like it so a brew can be really welcome, A lot of people seem to be getting very "my way is better than your way" about this. I see bushcraft partly as being comfortable in your surroundings and confident in your abilities and to be honest with you a good hot drink makes me feel right at home wherever i am.

You never know where a walk can take you sometimes i'll find a piece of flint and end up sitting down for a while and mess about making arrow heads just because i feel like it so a brew can be really welcome, A lot of people seem to be getting very "my way is better than your way" about this. I see bushcraft partly as being comfortable in your surroundings and confident in your abilities and to be honest with you a good hot drink makes me feel right at home wherever i am.

This is the same attitude I take,

I enjoy the moment wherever and whenever that may be.

to me Bushcraft is living at one with nature, and personally for me you don't get much more at one with nature, than sitting back smelling a wood fire, and drinking a hot brew........ puuuurrrrrfect!!!!!! :coffee:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE