Brennig smocks problems?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I don't know if anyone has ever dealt with Breenig before but in January I contacted them to see if they would make me an outdoor smock to my size (60 inch chest).

No problem they said, there will be a small extra charge for material and I agreed a price of £100 for a non breathable waterproof over the head working smock. Anyway they ( a really nice guy over the phone) promised this and that regarding delivery and each date passed with no smock. I phoned again-yes we will be doing it next week no problems blah blah blah. No smock arrived. Now they are igmoring my emails and phonecalls and I'm getting concerned as I've paid for it.

Does anyone know anything about this company that I don't or has anyone else had similiar problems?

For the last two weeks they have not had anyone answer the phone when I have phoned nor have they replied to emails nor responded to messages left on their answerphone...

I've been informed that the guy who runs the company Brenig is a member here :( and I checked his profile and he logged in yesterday.

I'm a £100 down without the jacket I was promised. BUMPED big time

BEWARE

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Hmmm. I've just had a similarly poor experience with another company. I ordered a smock from Extreme Outdoor Clothing in Feb and today (7 weeks later) have received my cheque back with a brief apology written on a compliments slip stating that they won't be able to make my smock as the fleece is no longer available. No suggestions for alternatives. Nothing. At least I have my cheque though. A Buffalo Special 6 me thinks.

Well folks,

Only after I contacted Trading standards aswell as PAYPAL did I recieve a full refund this afternoon with NO apology or any other communication from BRENIG.

If anyone knows where other made to measure waterproof smocks can be made contact me please ;) as there is a real need out there.

In the meantime I'll go with SLIOCH who are dearer but provide better service and quality!

D

Deleted member 4605

I'm glad you got this resolved, even if it was just getting a refund.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Personally I think you should name and shame him by revealing his username. Then we can SPAM THE HELL OUT OF HIM! ;)

Jake

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
scanker said:
Hmmm. I've just had a similarly poor experience with another company. I ordered a smock from Extreme Outdoor Clothing in Feb and today (7 weeks later) have received my cheque back with a brief apology written on a compliments slip stating that they won't be able to make my smock as the fleece is no longer available. No suggestions for alternatives. Nothing. At least I have my cheque though. A Buffalo Special 6 me thinks.

Me too! I have some other extreme gear and it's very good but customer service and the web site (never updated) are all very poor.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
w00dsmoke said:
In the meantime I'll go with SLIOCH who are dearer but provide better service and quality!

I bought a Slioch jacket for HWMBLT many years ago and it's still sound and in regular use.
It seemed expensive at the time but it's been well worth every penny.

atb,
Toddy

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
hilltrek do a good range of handmade smocks and other clothing in a range of materials fleece, ventile etc.

Hilltrek

Just had a double ventile smock made by them to my requirements for £160

Thank's folks, I'll have a look at hilltrek never knew they did that.

in the short term for me Denbeigh Surplus have got the biggest goretex army jackets made 160 cm chest for £75 grade 1-

I think a directory of really good manufacturers with good service could easily be made up esp the made to order stuff. ;)

Graham O

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2006
North Wales
A Reply

Firstly, my apologies W00dsmoke for the poor service you have had. We let you down and I accept your criticism. The end of the local authority financial year is an extremely busy time for us and with staff illness, we have got very behind in our deliveries. I’m not going to make excuses, but that is why you didn’t get your breathable smock.

But what I am not going to accept are your comments about communications. You say “For the last two weeks they have not had anyone answer the phone when I have phoned nor have they replied to emails nor responded to messages left on their answerphone”

Because we are so busy, over the last 4 weeks, I have been at work from about 7.30am to 5.30pm and mostly a lot longer. If I am at work, I answer the phone. I have not had any phone calls from you. It could be that you phoned when I went to the bank, post office etc, but that is only perhaps an hour a week, so I doubt I would have missed your phone calls when other customers and suppliers have not had trouble getting through to me.

With regards emails, I had one from you last week on the 23rd at 10.34hrs and I replied on the 25th at 21.37hrs. With regards messages left on the answer machine, again, I have had only 1, yesterday the 28th. By the time I got that, I had your Paypal dispute email and had already refunded your money.

You also seem to imply that I have stolen your money. A strong word, but that is the implication. Remember that I said don’t pay me until the smock is ready for dispatch, but you said that you’d send it now so that it (the payment) was done.

Okay, we let you down and I apologise for that. But I dispute your version of the communications problems.

I can prove otherwise and I'll leave it at that except it's great how a post on Bushcraft Uk can get a response!

Thanks for your support folks and if anyone wants big made to measure outdoor wear in anything from gore-tex to ventile I've got a list of suppliers that do what they say on the tin ;)

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
scanker said:

Sorry to hear about this Scanker (as I reccomended them!). I've been away for the last few weeks so have only just seen this post. It's a real shame, as Familne said their kit is great, some much so it appears they have trouble with the demand. You won't be disappointed with the Buffalo :) .

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
hi. all a bit new to this forum. i have been teaching outdoor ed for 23 years now. have used most kit around. from lots of different manufacturers. the two that have impressed me the most are HILLTREK and SNOWSLED. both use ventile amongst other fabrics but more importantly the quality of service i have received from both is excellent. you get what you pay for in my experience.

Meaghaidh

Aug 10, 2005
Peak District
Hi,

I have used Brenig for quite a bit of stuff £1000's worth. I have never had a problem with them and they have always been helpful. I will mention this next time I speak to him. It is not the response I would expect from Graham. I would definitely like him to reply to you.

Meaghaidh.

Calypso

Jun 24, 2005
Northumberland
We've always bought waterproofs for our centre from Brenig - they've always been great. We'll probably be placing another order soon so I hope your problems were a one off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE