Breakfast!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I eat the same kind of thing I eat throughout the day, organic meat or fish and organic veg. Carbs can make you sleepy so protein is a good thing to have for brekky.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
When I'm out, oatcakes and honey or marmite :)

If anybody tries to make oatcakes, read the recipe carefully. I didn't and having never eaten or even looked too closely at an oatcake beforehand, made up what I had read when I quickly scanned the recipe. Don't use big hefty porridge oats like I did, it tastes like cardboard!:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If anybody tries to make oatcakes, read the recipe carefully. I didn't and having never eaten or even looked too closely at an oatcake beforehand, made up what I had read when I quickly scanned the recipe. Don't use big hefty porridge oats like I did, it tastes like cardboard!:rolleyes:

Ahh, but was that a Scottish oatcake or an English one you tried?
Scot's ones are thin and crisp and sort of nutty tasting, English ones are like oaty nan breads :confused: I hadn't a clue what it was when offered oatcakes for breakfast in Derbyshire one year..... I looked at this shoesole thingie.....and then he offered to *fry* it for me :eek: :rolleyes:
Funny old world :D

cheers,
Toddy

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Ahh, but was that a Scottish oatcake or an English one you tried?
Scot's ones are thin and crisp and sort of nutty tasting, English ones are like oaty nan breads :confused: I hadn't a clue what it was when offered oatcakes for breakfast in Derbyshire one year..... I looked at this shoesole thingie.....and then he offered to *fry* it for me :eek: :rolleyes:
Funny old world :D

cheers,
Toddy

Don't knock our Derbyshire oatcakes, they're very good! Not sure about having them for breakfast, but for dinner roll one up around some good cheddar and cherry toms and bake until oozy inside yum!

Breakfast - strong black coffee, two slices of wholemeal toast and marmite, and a kiwi fruit (eaten with a wooden spife http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26588

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Sour dough butter milk pancakes and Bacon!

To make the pancakes :
1 cup of thin whole wheat sour dough starter ( I have had mine going for over a year now.)
add - 1 cup buttermilk pancake complete mix.
add milk or water to get the batter to fall of the spoon in "sheets"
cook as normal...... be prepared to have to work off 2nds and 3rds!!!

Trust me try this!!!!;)

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
We have been family camping every month and I have to admit, we have been eating good.

Breakfast is usually eggs, bacon, sausages, rice and fruit. Washed down with coffee, tea, juice or water. Sometimes we will have pastries too. And once we had oatmeal with fruit.

Lunches tend to be simple as we are out and about hiking, fishing or whatever. And the kids are always running around, exploring, and playing, so lunches are hot dogs, hamburgers, saimin, fruit, etc. One time someone also brought poke (raw marinated fish)! I love that stuff. Once we had a couple of cases of MRE's for our lunch. I like the stuff we make much better.

And there are always snacks throughout the day. We go through a lot of fruit and a lot of water. We have picked bags of strawberry guavas, guavas, etc on our hikes. My wife would be thrilled if we find a place with mountain apples. I have gone through a couple of areas with mountain apples, but it was in my younger, dumber days and I didn't log where they were and now I can't remember. There is a place that we camped a few times where the streams had a lot of prawns. Oh yeah, we brought garlic and butter!

But, oh the dinners...

We have had steak, smoked salmon, shrimp scampi, roast chicken, stew, chili, corn beef & cabbage, squid luau, kalua pig, escargo, hobo dinners, turkey jook (after Thanksgiving), pasta, rice, bread, bannock, noodles, vegetables, Thai beef salad, broccoli salad, fruit salad, etc.

And of course, there are the s'mores that the kids (of all ages) just love.

Most of the time, we will cook on the fire. But we have camp stoves that are used as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE