Breakdown bag.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 8, 2011
London
Not sure if this is the right area but it's related so I'll give it a go.

A few weeks ago my parents were travelling through Germany at night on the way back to the UK when they hit a large bit of debris in the road. It completely took at the front near side of their car and spun the vehicle. Luckily they were safe and well.

They had some provisions with them. But were lacking in others.

As they do this kind of thing often I want to get them a small bag together with a few things they would need.

I have my own idea what should be in there. But first I'd like your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks from now.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
• hi-viz jackets/waistcoats
• blankets
• flapjack/nuts
• water
• torch

For starters. I'm assuming they already have a FAK and warning triangle in the car

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Brew kit - not only provides hot drinks but something to do while waiting for breakdown truck...

Also a pair of fold-down chairs - not safe to stay in car whilst broken down on major roads. By the same token, decent waterproofs/warm clothes.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
disposable camera for taking photos of prangs and car positions after accidents.

Insurance information

Contact details for AA or equivilant if they have it

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Brew kit - not only provides hot drinks but something to do while waiting for breakdown truck...

Will also help with the shock - I'm sure it was on here that I read the advice of making a brew the first thing you should do as the concentration involved helps to overcome the initial panic

May 8, 2011
London
So this is where I am with.
They usually have a few things with them, the ability the make tea (lots of it), High Vis jackets (kept in boot, will go in bag.), triangle and a bunch of red flashing bike lights. Though my parents have never been into bushcraft skills my dad has been in the army and my mother has looked after 4 kids and has very green fingers, assuming they can start a fire if they need to (though I'll double check, should think dad will just set car on fire to keep warm), not sure about their first aid skills either.

Small bag big enough to carry.
2x Poncho
Spare cheap mobile (emergency numbers programmed in and a small laminated card with some)
2x Head Torch (spare batteries)
Foil Blanket
Multi Tool
First Aid Kit
Disposable Camera
Waterproof pen and paper (last time it was raining heavy)
Wool Blanket
Survival Tin (Just cause it will fit)
2x Lighter
Extra Water

Rescue Knife (to cut through seatbelts break glass, stay tuned for this), kept somewhere they can just grab inside the car. (place?)

Might add in a secondary brew kit.

How's that sound?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't keep a bag but rather have items in various places in the truck (glove compartment, center console, storeage under back seat, door pockets, etc.) that I will or might need on the road or in the woods:

sungalsses
spare reeading glasses
spare regular glasses
compass (hand compass plus the one built into the truck)
Buck 110
Nepalese Khukuri (panawal)
entrenching tool
telescoping ultra-lite fishing rod with reel and small (coat pocket sized) tackle box
binoculars
toilet paper
large size wet wipes
space blanket/stadium blanket
loads of tie down gear for securing loads (cargo straps, bungees, etc.)
duct tape
small hunter orange vest (for my Godson)
pen/notebook
Paperback Bible & pocket size GI prayer book
set of coveralls
work gloves
1st aid kit
fire extinguisher
spare contact lens solution
spare meds
A couple of meals (MREs or civilian ready to eat)
reuseable, cloth shopping bags
CZ Model 83 .380 pistol with spare magazine (under the driver's seat if I'm not wearing it) or larger handgun on occassion (not applicable for UK & probably some European countries)

Items to add when budget permits:
CB radio (preferably Galaxy Dx 979 --- or --- Cobra 29)
Ham radio (probably Yaesu 2 meter)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hey Gonk, just caught this thread and a couple of things sprang to mind:
Flourescent jackets: keep them on the seat backs, firstly the can be donned before exiting the car, secondly when abroad it reduces the chances of being stopped for spot checks.
Spare mobile phone: great idea but it needs to be kept charged... perhaps add in an in car charger or wind up torch that will charge the phone (I have one of these with a variety of connectors to suit all phones...except mine!!!:banghead: :buttkick: )

We also have a lunch box with spare bulbs, cable ties, fuses and jubilee clips, quality ones, of assorted sises (26th letter of abc not working on this keyboard again!) that has seen use in fixing a few problems from a clutch cable disengaging to the turbo air tube not staying put.

Rob.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just a note on the brewkit. There have been several recent threads about the dangers of lighting fires in confined spaces. Make sure the kit is not used in the car itself, because of fumes.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Slow down lads for crying out loud...while the original question sounds more like a request for help with a vehicle / bug out bag, we're talking about a car in Europe, not the end of the world; they ain't going down the trans Siberian highway in mid winter, they're not in Transylvania with the wicked Count waiting at the end of the highway devilish grin on his blood red lips as the sun goes down lol

Spandit in post #2 got it just about right, add some cash and maybe an anorak each and its job done.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
A lot will depend on where and when they are travelling.

If you break down in a remote area in Greece in summer then your needs are going to be very different than if you break down in a remote area in Scotland in the winter.

Also depends on the car, if they're in a small 2 seater sports car then space is a concern.
If on the other hand they're in a big 4x4 then they can throw pretty much anything including the kitchen sink.

I usually keep at least:
2 x 1.5l bottles of water
Hi-viz vest
Wet wipes
Some rags (usually micro fibre type)
a work glove
Warning triangle
Fairly comprehensive first aid kit containing items i'm happy working with.
Bottle of tyre repair foam
12v pump
Tool kit (socket wrench and bits) screwdriver, wire cutters etc etc
Torch
The usual zip ties and duct tape

In winter i'll throw in a thick 3 layer water proof high viz jacket and a wool blanket.
In summer i usually throw a couple more bottles of water in and a bottle of sunblock.

Slow down lads for crying out loud...while the original question sounds more like a request for help with a vehicle / bug out bag, we're talking about a car in Europe, not the end of the world; they ain't going down the trans Siberian highway in mid winter, they're not in Transylvania with the wicked Count waiting at the end of the highway devilish grin on his blood red lips as the sun goes down lol

Spandit in post #2 got it just about right, add some cash and maybe an anorak each and its job done.

Not sure how much travelling you've done mate, but i can tell you from first hand experience there are hundreds of square miles of areas where there is no mobile phone service around Europe.
When we stayed in Pitlochry the other year we had a 10 mile drive before we got enough bars on our phones to make a call.

We've had vast areas in Italy, Germany, France and Greece where we went for miles without a signal.
Head off on a quiet B road and you could be waiting at least a night before anyone passes you.

In my experience as a bloke that usually drives/rides around 4000 miles a year up/down and across Europe (UK and back) you really need to be equipped so you can survive 24 hours.
If you have enough room, then ideally enough stuff to survive comfortably for those 24 hours.

Sure you might not actually need everything, but i manage to fit all those bits in my little MX5 without any worries so it's hardly a hardship to throw a few things in "just in case".

We were stranded on Lesvos the other year when our hire car broke down.
It was 8 hours before we got back to the house.
4 hours were spent out in the midday sun with a car with no running motor (so no AC) with temps around 45c in the shade.
If i hadn't had thrown a pack of 6 x 1.5 litre bottles of water in the car we'd had been in serious trouble.
This in a island that's only just over 25 miles wide, with mobile phone service, in a country were we spoke the native language, AND had local breakdown coverage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE