Bracket Fungus Amadou question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey!
Anybody here tried making Amadou type stuff from other types of bracket fungus? I mean, I haven't found any horsehoof fungus, but I did find some other type of bracket fungus. Actually, I'm not strictly right there, I did find a horsehoof fungus, but the little fella was about the size of a large marble and I didn't have the heart to take it. Maybe I'll go back to it next year.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yeah dude! Have a search for Qdan T's brilliant post regards amadu and horse good fungus, quite simple in terms of process but labour intensive. Good stuff. Hope that helps chap!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There are other fungi that can be used in fire-lighting SW.
Cramp Ball and Birch Polypore to name two.

I've heard that an amadou alternative can be made from Artists Conk fungus but I don't know how good it is compared to the real stuff.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Ganoderma, Artists Fungs/conk is excellent. As well as Cramp balls & Birch Polypore.

Personally had no trouble using it dried with no other prep but a different technique than using prepared Amadou. Simply use a saw or knife to saw/scrape a pile of dust from the trama layer, spread it out & gently pat it a little flat retaining the air gaps. Drop sparks onto the heap - can take a few goes depending weather you use Iron pyrites, flint & steel or ferrocium rods - strangely I find the first & last easiest - dropping sparks downward off a trad flint & steel ain't so easy because it involves a striking motion whereas the other two can be done with a more controlled grinding action.

The dried ganoderma does not catch sparks from a trad flint & steel when used in the convetional way nearly as well as the prepared stuff. Boiling for a few hours in hardwood ash solution & beating out works very well i my experience - no real need for bought stuff.

Here is a copy of a post I put up elsewhere about Artists Fungus Amadou...

Just a little bit about making Amadou tinder from Artists fungus (Ganoderma applanatum)...

Artists_Fungus_03.JPG

First track & stalk some fungus. Commonly found on dead Beech trees.

Artists_Fungus_01.JPG

Artists_Fungus_02.JPG

Locate the Trama layer & remove the hard upper dermis & the spore tubes.

Artists_Fungus_04.JPG

Artists_Fungus_05.JPG

Boil the Trama in hard wood ash solution for 8hours or more if you can be bothered - the alkali will de-nature the carbon in the fungus IIRC.

Finally bash the b'jesus out of it & let it dry.

Artists_Fungus_06.JPG

Use as you would charcloth - it takes sparks from flint & steel very nicely when roughed up a bit.

Happy burnin'...

Ta.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ganoderma's great, masses more trauma layer and easier to prepare.

Look for Oak, Chestnut and Beech at the base of the main stem of older trees that look died back within the canopy or already failed in some way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE