leatherman: supertool 300 vs. surge?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
as mentioned several times in the past, three years ago several tools were lost in an armed robbery in nicaragua... one of them was my original "supertool" which i carried for nineteen years around the earth disk and which is sadly not in production anymore : -(

recently i mentioned my intention of getting a new multitool (supertool 300) in the "what did you but today?" thread. @neoaliphant suggested the "surge" instead...
a few days ago i contacted "leatherman" in search of a local dealer -- let's just say their reply didn't particularly overwhelm me...
i did find however a seller for several Leatherman models (so hopefully they're not cheap fakes) in costa rica AND he has both the "surge" and the original "supertool300" in stock (the latter isn't in production at the moment, only two modified versions with military customers in mind)
i'm still a bit undecided between the two models, mainly because the "surge" is much heavier, has scissors (somehow never liked them on multitools but currently i've no other scissors so maybe they could come in handy :) ) and the in-build bit bolder isn't necessary for me as i've still my "victorinox" bit set from my original set-up

ssoo... here's the question: has anyone used both?!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The surge every time, blades accessible without opening is the biggest benefit.

I have handled over 70% of the Leatherman tool models made, up until 2016. And have over 20 models in the collection

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
No experience with the Supertool, but the Surge is a big favorite. Just 'upgraded' from a Wave and both work on the same principle. Oh -the inner tools lock also, which was a step up from my (older) Wave.

after posting this thread i received another email from the local seller (i told him i'd contact him again as soon as i've made up my mind between the two models) and he also told me the "surge" is his best-selling model...
part of my indecision stems from the fact that i'm ordering online and won't be able to see it until i'm picking it up at the post office, the "supertool300" is similar to my lost original " supertool"...

Reactions: Wildpiper

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
after posting this thread i received another email from the local seller (i told him i'd contact him again as soon as i've made up my mind between the two models) and he also told me the "surge" is his best-selling model...
part of my indecision stems from the fact that i'm ordering online and won't be able to see it until i'm picking it up at the post office, the "supertool300" is similar to my lost original " supertool"...
They are both really great models, and the surge is the better overall tool between them, but I think you have already answered your own question, for you it has to be the supertool due to sentimental reasons.

Enjoy

They are both really great models, and the surge is the better overall tool between them, but I think you have already answered your own question, for you it has to be the supertool due to sentimental reasons.

Enjoy
as the old saying goes: buy once, cry once! :p seems i might order the "surge" then as everyone so far seems happy with theirs...

sorry if i pester folks with another question:banghead: but i've not been able to make out this details from any descriptions or pic i found online with 100%clarity... : on my original supertool the frame consisted of two pieces of U-shaped steel (= one per handle; simple and sturdy), all blades faced inwards (in closed condition), unlocking a blade was done by opening another blade 90° and then closing both.
how have those issues been solved on the "surge" ?! same type of frame or different?! seems the knife blades face outwards for left-handed opening and some tools inwards (in closed position)...

this week i'll be going for one my rare visits to town so i'm planning to place the payment at the bank :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I know exactly what you mean but as I haven't a leatherman I can't help, I did look closely out of a tool nuts inquisitiveness and couldn't see any catch except on the other model where you had to open up the tool & pliers to access the other tools and then there was what looked like a thumb catch which held each open item 'open'.
Me, I'm a Victorinox 'Swisstool' owner and this opens all its handle tools from the closed position without opening the pliers and has a sliding lock that needs to be pulled back to unlock. Worth a look-see IMO.
I'm sure gra_farmer will advise as he's in-the-know:thumbsup:
S

glad someone understood what i meant :p
when i bought my original supertool almost 22years ago i found myself in the odd situation of wearing camouflage and carrying an assault rifle for a foreign country (not my idea i hasten to add :) ) and lots of the guys who were there long-term used privately bought multitools of various makers, additional two of my friends just had bought "supertools" as well -- both of which gave me plenty opportunity to check them out before purchasing mine in an outdoor shop (where i had the misfortune to be served by my least favourite employee who answered every of my question regarding the "supertool" with " and the "wave" has/can... " :banghead: until i clearly told him i'm not interested in this model)

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
sorry if i pester folks with another question:banghead: but i've not been able to make out this details from any descriptions or pic i found online with 100%clarity... : on my original supertool the frame consisted of two pieces of U-shaped steel (= one per handle; simple and sturdy), all blades faced inwards (in closed condition), unlocking a blade was done by opening another blade 90° and then closing both.
how have those issues been solved on the "surge" ?! same type of frame or different?! seems the knife blades face outwards for left-handed opening and some tools inwards (in closed position)...

this week i'll be going for one my rare visits to town so i'm planning to place the payment at the bank :)

No problem. For a leftie, the straight and serrated knife knife on the Surge (outside) is not positioned very well for quick one-hand opening. You would need to flip it to lowerside and use you index finger -if that makes sense. Never thought of that, since 'rightie' here. It is a robust tool and the action is heavy on mine.

Inner tools have a lock that clicks into place and can be released with a thumbpress. A big improvement over my older Wave where some of the tools regulary collapsed and bit my hand (opening paint cans comes to mind).

Frame is still robust, but there are a couple of plates screwed on as well.

Cheers,
-Emile

Reactions: forrestdweller

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Have the Surge, Supertool and Victorinox. I think the Supertool is last out of those 3 unless the pliers are the most important part of the tool for you, then it’s 2nd. Also Surge has smoother handles so it’s way more comfortable in the hand. I know it’s an expensive decision if you don’t like it but I’m almost 100% certain you’ll like the Surge.

C923F5F2-5582-4822-BDC9-6A190D921930.jpeg
F96D9902-7E18-4C9F-9165-979CDF02BBCD.jpeg

The Surge is trusty and best tool for most jobs.
hopefully soon i'll find out if that's a true statement as i transferred the money two days ago and received an email from the local seller that mine is on the way to the local post office :) :)

Leatherman's customer service is imho not exactly overwhelming: still no reply to my email to them reg. the question in post #7.....

Reactions: spader

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
hopefully soon i'll find out if that's a true statement as i transferred the money two days ago and received an email from the local seller that mine is on the way to the local post office :) :)

Leatherman's customer service is imho not exactly overwhelming: still no reply to my email to them reg. the question in post #7.....

I have a few different MTs, SAKs, but always seem reaching for the LM Surge. Let us know how you got on with your Surge when it arrives. :)

since today i FINALLY own a multitool again :) as i picked up my new "surge" at the post office this arvo. the sellers isn't listed on Leatherman's website -- his customer service was to my satisfaction, Leatherman's NOT.
there's a small blunt area along the edge of the knife blade -- not sure how that got past quality control but a few moments on a stone should sort it .:thumbsup: so far i can't figure out how to change the saw blade with the file as the included pictures aren't particularly helpful to me.... the loop on the belt pouch is a bit too narrow to fit on a military webbing belt but i'm planning to make a larger pouch anyway to be able to carry it together with my victorinox bit set (which survived the robbery), piece of hacksaw blade and concrete nail (== my old set-up ) so that's not an issue :) only thing i'm missing is an attachment for a lanyard...
if i hadn't lost my original supertool i would not have bought a new multitool but so far i'm happy! :)

Reactions: Dobloz
Much congrats - replacing the blades took a Google for me to find out as well:
Surge, replace saw/file
after watching it several times i figured it out :) (= i was rather tired last night when typing my previous post so i didn't bother doing a youtube/ google search as i prefer to be focused and not to screw up my new toy.... eerrhh.... tool)

Reactions: eraaij
Did you know about the little bonus ...?
View attachment 72576
not until you told me :p
i'm on my lunch break right now so figuring out how to get it out has to wait until after work, seems there's quite a few "how to modify" clips on youtube....

edit(3h later): just found a clip telling me how to do it. maybe it's because i'm used to it but somehow i liked the supertool solution better...

Last edited:
Reactions: eraaij and Dobloz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE