Bowdrill succes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well after a days hard work I've cracked it! I was way to excited to take any picture of when it happened, although I've got some of the set I made! I discussed it in Hibrions thread- and with great advice from him and other members I've got it! I made the entire set from start to finish today- using only my Timberwolf knife and a laplander saw. The hearth board and drills were both willow, the bearings blocks were both alder and the bow was green willow. It worked after two try's- the first mainly to burn it in, I was soon producing some nice fat juicy embers, about five times, and lots of smoke. I was so chuffed I'd done it all my self and was quite surprised I did it, I didn't expect it to come off so quick! But we've had some lovely dry weather which no doubt played a part. But I did it!

Edit: the grass in the bearing block was a great tip and worked a treat!

Here's the set:

imagejpg1_zps9c340630.jpg

Updated photo of the set:

imagejpg1_zps3d9b5863.jpg

I'm going to practice it plenty, make more sets and try to hone and improve my newly acquired skill, and hopefully I'll be better by the end of the year- though it's not something I'd rely upon for my fires, but it's great fun! :)

Hope you enjoyed this, I was in the spirit for sharing! :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just a slight change of course- would you be kind enough to state your favourite wood combinations and why?

I'll stick with this set for now, and willows great, but always interested to find out more! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well done mate. I got a great sense of satisfaction when i first succeeded. It's a good skill to have.

Cheers mate! I did too, I really enjoyed it, especially knowing that all of it was a lump of wood in the morning, but hours later it was making fire! :)

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Well done that man.:) It's a great feeling when you get it right . I use willow a lot for my friction sets. I tried the bamboo fire saw the other night. I had four attempts all which failed. Been watching videos all evening to see where I went wrong.:D

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well done that man.:) It's a great feeling when you get it right . I use willow a lot for my friction sets. I tried the bamboo fire saw the other night. I had four attempts all which failed. Been watching videos all evening to see where I went wrong.:D

Cheers mate! That bamboo looks tricky mind, I reckon you'll crack it though! :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well done!

I can well remember my first coal; you'll remember yours for the rest of your life as I'm sure we all will.

I tend to use hazel drills and hearthboards.

Nice one :)

leon-1

Hazel drill on lime works well, as does Hazel on Ivy, Hazel on Hazel, Sycamore on Ivy, Ivy on Ivy, Sycamore on Alder and Hazel on Alder. We tend to think of clematis as a hearth for handrill, but it can also be used for bowdrill. The climbers seem to be pretty good once they've had a chance to season. All of the above combinations are drill first and hearth second.

I have also use broom handle on pallet wood when teaching and this will work as well.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for all the great comments and great advice! I've got a fair amount of alder, willow, ivy and some lime just behind out house- so I'll have a forage soon and see what I can get. My plan is to just keep making sets, trying different combos and hopefully I'll keep improving :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well I've just made myself a longer willOw hearth board, a bit more narrow and with a smaller notch. It works great and I knocked out another two embers! I've made about six or seven now and I'm chuffed to bits! Just got to practice more to keep improving and make more stuff. Going to Scotland for a three nighter in the canoe so I'll see what resources I can find there, and although most of it will be flint and steel, I'll probably start one of the fires with my recently made set if the weathers not to terrible (forecast doesn't look great), but we'll see, hopefully onwards and upwards with some more practice! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE