Bottling elderflower/berry cordial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
ive made elderflower cordial last few years .but it never lasts longer than a few months as we consume it.
This year I've collected wine bottles and intend to use Campden tablets and see if I can keep longer until next harvest.
I've never made the berry juice but intend to try this too especially for its keeping colds at bay properties.

Has anyone bottled it sucsessfully.
And can I use cork stoppers or do I have to use plastic.

Lastly any tips for a sucsessfully outcome .
Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do. It needs care so that it doesn't go mouldy, but if you can make jam, then you can make cordial. If you find old recipes for robbs then you won't go far wrong on the elderberries.

I wouldn't use cork if it at all avoidable. I use either washed out condiment bottles (Lea and Perrins, sauce bottles, etc.,) or the wired silicon washered stoppered ones from Kilner. I scrub them out and then boil them up in the big pasta pot to sterilise them.

So long as the cordial doesn't ferment, it'll be fine :) if it does, heaven help you because the explosions are truly scary.

M

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Thank you for the advice. Got several litres in the making .
I have sourced swing loop bottle with wire for some.
I shall see how it goes.
Out of interest why would cork stoppers be not preferred .when looking for plastic stoppers for bottles I was unable to locate any besides from fleebay .
Thank you again

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't know if you have a Co-Op near you? But they are selling wire swingtop bottles cheap in their seasonal section just now.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I usually pour the cordial into used ice-cream tubs ~1 litre capacity, and put them in the freezer.
This means it doesn't go off in at least a year.
When I want to use it, I just use an ice-cream scoop and put the required amount of scoops in a glass or pitcher. Pour water over it, and stir and you'll get a proper cool drink in no time. No ice required.

Note: Some years I've ended up with cordial that simply won't go solid in the freezer. Don't know why. Usually it ends up semi-hard, sorbet like.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Corks are more difficult to sanitize properly and if the cork is not perfect they can let in oxygen and bugs. Plastic "corks" don't suffer from that.

I wouldn't use a screw top in case of fermentation, I've seen a glass bottle explode and it throws shards of glass at high speed. Since it's most likely to blow when you move it you could well be holding it at the time. Corks or plastic stoppers will blow the cork rather than the bottle.

Swing top bottles are good, they seal well and will release excessive pressure without any danger.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Thanks again gents.
I will stay clear of cork.
I'm trying to collect as many swing top bottles as I can but have a fair few 1.5 Ltr wine bottles for which I will buy plastic bungs or stoppers so as it seals but In case of pressure will pop out then as advised.
Just leaving it to settle now I've had it through a muslin cloth and tomorrow I will siphon it into bottles .
Hoping to get a few hatches in this season .

Smells beautiful around the house.

Especially wanting to do the berry cordial .

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
If you're worried about yeasts secondary fermenting you could pasteaurise it. Or use potassium sorbate / sodium metabisulphate stabilizer

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Thank you,being new to bottling I will bear pastirising and further addertives in mind.
Got another 9 ltrs in progress now with orange and lemon.
Managed to but a lot of swing top bottles .
We've frozen several litres which has worked very well so far but bottling is the way we want to go.
Thank you for your advices again.
Much appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE