Tentipi Fire Box Mini; A Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Tentipi Fire Box Mini; A review

Specs
300x200x115 mm. 1200 g. Packed only 40x115x300 mm.

http://www.tentipi.com/default.asp?textnummer=2106

firebox2.jpg

History
On outdoor trips I have always been a fan of having a fire where it is appropriate. This goes back to being a young boy on fishing trips and the like.

As I have got older, if not wiser, I have tried to make sure that the impact of my fires has been minimal. This has meant picking sites for the fire where it will not cause any damage. The gathering of wood where it will have the least impact or even bringing my own wood.

To aide this policy I have looked at various pieces of kit to help. The obvious thing being a stove to replace the fire. I have a stove but there is something about a fire that touches us in a primeval way and cannot be replicated with a stove, however, where I cannot have a fire without causing damage, I use a stove.

The next pieces of kit were a good bow saw and an axe to make use of the large diameter pieces of wood frequently found charred and half burnt in the remains of the fire pits of those less thoughtful fire users. It also allows the use of larger diameter deadwood that may be available.

And of course a firebox has always been an idea for using to lessen the impact and increase the efficiency of the fire. I have over the years tried a few different types of fire boxes but whilst they have all had their good points, for one reason or another I have never found them of sufficient benefit to include them in my kit list.

I received a Tentipi Mini Fire Box as compensation for a problem with my Tentipi tent. A very minor problem I have to say and a generous offer that I gratefully accepted. I had looked at these fireboxes but had thought they looked expensive and nothing special so looked forward to giving it a try but I expected it to end up in the unused pile with all the rest I have tried.

The Workings
As you can see from the specs above the firebox packs flat and is very light for a firebox. This light weight implies a fragility that we will talk about later. I have made a canvas bag to keep it in to prevent it getting my other kit dirty in transit.

firebox4.jpg

The bars etc that help hold it erect slip inside when packed.
firebox5.jpg

The bars consist of two that hold the bottom of the box in position and a centre bar that helps to hold the top open (the centre bar does not seem to be supplied in the more recent models). I have changed the centre bar and added a tube to the set up but this will also be discussed later.
firebox6.jpg

As you open the box up the sides hinge out.
firebox7.jpg

Then the bottom hinges down.
firebox8.jpg

Two bars go through the bottom to hold it in position.
firebox9.jpg

The lastly the centre bar (when supplied) goes across the top to make the whole structure more rigid.
firebox10.jpg

In use you raise the box off the ground by placing either rocks or green wood under the ends of the bars on the bottom.

Improvements & modifications
Over time I have made some modifications and additions to the box. First the centre bar that was supplied was pretty flimsy. It buckled a lot with the heat it was subjected too. I realised that this bar was not actually required to keep the box in shape, which is why I presume it is no longer supplied but it is useful to help rest pots on. So I asked Russell (Warthog1981) to make me a stronger bar, which he did and I use this now. The only time I do not use it is if I find a grill at a campsite, in which case I go without the centre bar and use the grill to support pots instead.

Second I have a short piece of pipe (actually a cut down arrow shaft) which is stored inside the packed box and is used as a blow poker to bring a bit more life to the fire when needed.

Most of my campsites allow me to site the box on either a stone area or a beach, however, occasionally, there is nothing but grassed areas. When using the box in these areas I lay the tinfoil from an instant barbeque on the ground (you find these all over the place) and have the firebox raised above it. This protects the grass from the heat of the box. I have done this on a number of occasions and can assure you that after the site is tidied you would not be able to tell where the fire has been.

Suits you sir
By now you will probably have realised the Tentipi firebox has not ended up unused in a pile of kit, far from it. The firebox fits my type of fire use perfectly.

firebox3.jpg

It allows me to use fairly large diameter wood and I can split this down to suit if required. If heating just one or two pots I will have these at one end and feed the fire from the other so that there is a fairly constant temperature at the business end of the box.

As you can see the box is big enough to take quite a few pots, if required. In the picture above that is a 16cm billy, a 14cm billy and a steel caffetiere all on the firebox. You could probably fit a crusader mug on as well if you really wanted too.

The firebox does burn wood far more efficiently. If left to burn out it will consume all the wood in it and leave nothing but ash.

The weight and small pack size of the firebox means that there is no reason not to take it. You can set it up quickly with no fuss so that too is a plus point. I hinted earlier that the lightweight nature of the firebox implied it would not last well. Certainly this was my thought when I first got it. When I had used the firebox a couple of times I liked it but became even surer it would not last. The intense heat in the box does twist and bend the box BUT I have now been using the box for over two years and despite seeing a lot of use, getting a bit misshaped and starting to rust, the box still folds away, sets up and performs as well as when I first got it.

In conclusion
Well the conclusion is simple and direct. I am a huge fan of the Tentipi Mini Fire Box now. If I were to finally wear out my current one I would immediately buy a replacement without any hesitation. It is one of the few things I own where I would not use the opportunity to upgrade as I feel it is the best solution for me.

Price wise I originally thought that these were expensive for what they were. Now I do not think this now. At the time of writing this, the mini firebox is £45 from here

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/tentipi-accessories.html

Having now used the firebox and seen how it performs and lasts I would gladly pay this price again. Truth be told if I had to I would pay twice this but don’t tell Casper at Nordic Outdoor that ;)

My girls like it too but that might just be for the marshmallows :D

firebox1.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nice one Mr Magikelly... I have one of these that is, at the moment, unused... i'm looking forward to getting it going during the winter months in my tipi.

Great review mate, I feel much better about my purchase :D

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Nice one Mr Magikelly... I have one of these that is, at the moment, unused... i'm looking forward to getting it going during the winter months in my tipi.

Great review mate, I feel much better about my purchase :D

I have actually only used it once in my Tentipi. My conclusions were that the mini is definitely too small for the 7 man tent I had and that you need dry wood. the stuff we were using was pants and was giving out lots of smoke and not much heat :rolleyes:

Nice review and great pic's.

Thanks. Looking through my bloggs on SotP I realised there were loads of pictures to choose from of the firebox as I use it all the time so it is generally in the background somewhere.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Great review and nice to see the kids enjoying the great outdoors. Last time we went camping my 10yr old spent about 3 hours making various things out of our pile of firewood and another couple of hours poking sticks into the river - totally at one with herself. It was one of those occassions where you don't interfere or ask whats she's doing for fear of breaking the daydream.
i am sure youve experienced the same.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Put a lump of coal in Caspers wallet - find a diamond the following day :lmao:

Doesn't change the fact that the tipis are top kit though... just an amusing observation... he is, after all, running a business.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Is he the actual distributor for all the other UK tentipi dealers? If so I imagine he's in a tricky situation as the other dealers wont want to be undercut and he has to keep them happy.
In actual fact I may buy from proadventure as they rent out a Varrie 9 and refund the rental cost if you buy - seems like a good opportunity to try one out (I still haven't seen one in the flesh).
Anyway - complete thread hijack - the fireboxes look like a wonderfully simple device and they will make a great partner to a stove if I can afford all this!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Great review John, Many thanks :D

I have the Varrie9 and was about to buy a new stove as I've never been keen on the fireboxes as my mutt is bound to trip into it (he's only 11months and very bouncy), however, I might look at them a bit more more now.

Thanks again,

Bam. :D

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In snow the supporting "legs" can be hung up on sticks, allowing you to have a fire almost on top of the snow (use long sticks!). I got mine about 10 years ago, and my old Trangia 25 has not seen as much use as it did before then. No fire-ban == firebox.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE