Some wanderings on Tue 14th July 04

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, I thought I would put in the last couple of day as I’ve been out with the kids a couple of times.

Yesterday Thorin my 6 year old boy and I went hunting for the last of the Elder flower, I say the last as most of it has turned in preparation for berries. We spent three hours climbing through overgrown woodland getting scratched and mauled by the Holly and the blackberry bushes, we waded through what seemed to be an ocean of nettles to get to some fine specimens (so we thought) only to find that they were too far gone. We waded through a stream and walked around a lake and traversed a few hills. Both of us were armed with sticks collected from a fallen oak, a very useful bit of kit :wink:

It’s a pity we didn’t get any pictures, I was cutting the top ones and Thorin was cutting off the lower flowers. He was using a full sized mora and with deft cuts he was harvesting nearly as quickly as me. We had a few people walk past us while we were half standing in the bushes, all of them had a polite hello, a glance and a smile at Thorin…..I think that this is one of the advantages of being in the countryside (where we often wander, not where we live) the locals don’t see it as so strange that we would harvest from nature…It’s a nice feeling. We also made sure that we only took a bit from each bush...not that there was a lot available this late in the season.

While walking around a lake I spent the time teaching Thorin some of the advanced skills needed to skim stones ;-) Well, they were advanced until he mastered them in about 30 seconds! He still can’t get them to bounce 6 times or more but he will get there…

As we walk I ask him what all the trees and bushes are, most of the time he comes back with the answer, sometimes he stands there looking at it, trying to work it out and often he does…One thing that has struck me this year is that the children had to be reminded about quite a few things, they probably retained about 50% of what they knew last year, it show that we need to keep up their education and that if we don’t they will loose their precious knowledge, this year they will retain more, and next year they will retain even more, it needs to be a steady process. But they do learn and they do retain a lot of it, my children will know far more than me because of the head start I intend to give them.

We ended up with a big bag full of flowers, which was worth the scrapes and the sweat on our brows. We got home and got the big pot out to start the process of making Elderflower cordial (this time we’ve used the recipe in Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls River Cottage cookbook, which we know is good because of the batch we made 2 weeks ago!) Today we’ve finished off the process and it’s ready to be bottled. I intend on bringing some to the meet up for all to try :eek:): It’s really good with lemonade and ice…Yum.

Yesterday evening the whole family went for a walk to a nearby waterfall, when we’ve got the kids with us we always have to go up the stream, jumping from rock to rock, I have to admit that it’s much more exciting that way. While there we found hundreds of little frogs, they were one of those things that you don’t notice….and then when you do you see them everywhere. Thorin and Rowan (my daughter) decided that they were way too small to eat so they just picked them up and had a good look, exclaiming that they 'kicked their legs like nutters!'

Rowan fell in up to her waist, which although amusing for the rest of us was not quite so amusing for her, she was especially put out that a squelching noise now emanated from her person…She soon recovered though and after we had climbed a few little rock faces we decided to retreat back to the car…squelch, squelch, squelch…….Down the stream, rock hopping, the rest of us finding it a bit easier than my wife who had our 4 week old baby strapped to her! On the way down the children found some more frogs, some tunnels in the gorse bushes, sheep tracks and droppings, horse, dog and bird tracks….they’re not great at tracks but they can tell those and they can tell which direction the animals are going in……….

All in all a nice day….

Heck, that was just yesterday…:yikes: I think I’ll leave today for now :wink:

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
That sounds like such a good day out! I also went in search for the last of the elder flower but sadly in vain. Things tend to flower and therefore finish flowering earlier down here. Never mind, I look forward to trying your cordial at the meet (if there's any left) and I'll wait for the elder berries and make some good wine!! :wink:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Sounds like a great outing! They're really great kids, Tone - a credit to you both. And it was absolutely wonderful to meet your lovely family at the weekend! :wink:

I'm envious that you found enough flowers to make more of Shelly's lovely elderflower cordial. It was fantastic! :yumyum: Went scouting around here for flowers, but they're pretty much all gone and what's left is very dry (we could use some decent rain here! )

:-D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bushwacker bob said:
brings back some memories Tone, I now wish my kids were young again :)

Maybe you could borrow some kids. Nephews, nieces, whatever. Any excuse to go out in the woods.

I remember picking blackberries, redcurrants and bilberries (not all on the same day). One for the bag, one for the mouth, one for the bag, one for the mouth... all afternoon. And still enough fruit for jam, crumbles and wine.

Keith.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Wow that sounds soooo cool and great fun. i'd say it brings back memories but it doesn't having neither kids nor having done that stuff with my Da....oh well....sayin that tho my da's started tellin me stuff which his father taught him (mainly how to double spring air rifles..... :roll: ) hehe...naughty poaching Romany forebears.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE