Botany Resources - Field Studies Council

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I've just received from the Field Studies Council a nice packet full of publications which I ordered from their publications pages.

I ordered a whole load of them because, living abroad, that made sense because of the postage. But by doing so, I realised that they are all the same size, which means that, for example, you can fit a chart such "Describing Flowers" neatly inside their solid spiral bound book "A New Key To Wild Flowers".

These charts are all laminated, so they can be taken outside in the woods and fields - presumably even when it is raining. The book mentioned above is spiral bound and robust so it is also easy to use outside.

I am just learning botany from scratch, so I can't comment on the quality of information in these publications - however, having just bought a load of botany books in my quest to enlighten my darkness, I must say these publications give me a pleasant surprise whereas the other books I have purchased seem either to assume you are an expert or that you aren't - and therefore don't really need a lot of information!

A guide to the identification of trees in winter - just what I've been looking for all winter! Separate charts for identifying plants in woodlands, grasslands, moorlands, saltmarshes, sanddunes and even playing fields!

Books/brochures on brown seaweeds, soil types, ferns and water plants.

I'd be surprised if the FSC has not been mentioned before here, but since I have the publications in my hands and can see the physical quality of them - all laminated as I said (apart from the books, obviously) - I feel they deserve another mention so that any other beginners can check them out.

They have centres all over the UK - so check them out.

No, I have no connection with them - I wish I had, then I would have got a discount and wouldn't be such an ignoramus about botany!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE