Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I wondered if anybody had any recommendations about boots (I'll be walking in the Lake District - but obviously they're for general use). Keep it under or about £80 :p.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
No idea :rolleyes:. What styles are there?

I presume military style is plain black. Military probably wouldn't be my preference. That said, I would like some good, plain boots that don't look too crass.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I bought a pair of Danner Arcadia, brand new in the box, for £80....

...I got them of a Commando. He was a big lad and wore through the toes on them and got a new pair every year under guarantee. That year, he decided to try another brand and put an ad in the local rag for his latest pair of Danners. Luckily, I must have been the only one in Boringmouth who knew what they were, as the ad had ben out for a week before I spotted it!

If you want cheap yet good boots, the I'd recommend any Hi Tec ones. I know the brand is a bit 80's , but hey, retro is in right? The boots do as they say on the box, last forever, end ever, and are cheap. This includes the Magnum range. I use the Midnight Plus for everyday use, and warm dry field conditions when in shorts. Either that or try going to your local camping shop. They'll help you part with your cash. Scarpa boots are great from what my memory says, and might come within your budget.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Good deal spacemonkey! Danners are fantastic boots mine are like slippers they are that soft,perfect for tracking.They are a plain looking boot but are of outstanding quality Biddlesby but boots are a very personal thing and id reccomend you try them on first, what ever you get..

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Paganwolf said:
Good deal spacemonkey! Danners are fantastic boots mine are like slippers they are that soft,perfect for tracking.
So are mine 11 years on! I have resoled them once, but they still come up like new. They do scuff easily though, and got my first dose of Achilles tendonitis in April on Dartmoor. What fun...

Bids, try the Highlander kit for a budget. They are cheap and effective for all your needs. Their site is http://www.highlander1.com/ but see your local stockist for prices. There are some nice hiker type boots in the New Products section which should be cheap.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
not the best idea because you want to bed your boots in, but if your near keswick in the lakes loads and loads of outdoor shops and because theres that many they always seem to have some corking sales,
you have cotswalds, blacks,needles sports and loads more

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I think Magnums suck for anything "outdoorsy" - Great for knocking about town in though.

Danner - Only boots I'm ever likely to purchace again in the future. Like my old Lowas also but they're a tad heavy. Will have to rely on them when my Ft. Lewis go away for a resoleing though.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Can anyone do a comparison,
Between the Danner Fort Lewis and the Matterhorn Fort Bragg?

I'm drawn towards the Ft Braggs, as I'm getting bored of the Boots, Combat, High-leg (old style) wearing out just after they get comfortable!

Ogri the trog

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you don't want a military boot, try a pair of salomon gore-tex lined boots or karrimor KSB-GTX both are very comfortable and will keep your feet dry.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Great Pebble said:
I think Magnums suck for anything "outdoorsy" - Great for knocking about town in though.

May I ask why? I only ask as I have been wearing them for years and never had a problem (touch wood)..

Grez..

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
The best advice I can offer you is to take the recommendations with a very large pinch of salt, what suits one person may not suit another, the best thing to do is go to a shop in the afternoon, (when your feet have swollen), wear the walking socks you will use with the boot. Put the particular boot you fancy on (both boots), do the laces up tight (as if you are going walking) and walk around the whole shop in them, the shopkeeper will get annoyed but you are spending £30+! If you feel any rubbing/hotspots whatsoever forget them, they will give blisters. If they are uncomfortable for any reason forget them, forget them, they will not get better with age, in fact many actually get worse. I really annoyed the staff at Torquay Millets when I tried on every boot in the shop and didn't buy anything. The point is, you have to walk in the boots, not the shop keeper.

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
I did quie a lot of boot trying recently, went to a range of outdoors shop. Basically doesnt matter what extras a boot has if it doesent fit its wrong. Boot sizing varies greatly from maker to maker, so one size 10 will fit, anothers makers wont. I ended up getting some salomons, tried them on in field and trek in london, then ordered them for half the price online. Did buy some other kit whilst i was there though. Have those and a pair of brit army combat boots. That reminds me must rewaterproof the army boots.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Great Pebble said:
They're high leg, leather trainers.
Ankle support is poor, sole design is poor, construction is poor. Doesn't leave much. Still have my Elites but definitely a "down the pub" bit of footwear.

Agree. Magnums are pish poor. Elites are worse IMO.
I've had classics, the leather went within months.
I've had Elite 6", the sole wore away and cracked within months.
I've had Elite 8", the sole is wearing and the leather is going - these boots I wear very occasionally so they're not totally shot yet.
Both Elite's are too hot and sweaty for anything but the cooler days and that is low activity too. The elite tread is hopelesses for anything outdoors, I believe they are marketed for urban use anyhoo.
Magnums are cheaper than many brands and this is reflected in the quality of the product.

As I am a gluten for punishment I am probably going to try the Amazons!

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Hi Biddlesby,

i hope this doesn't offend anyone, but most of the footwear advise you have been given so far isn't great.

The best boots you'll ever have aer the ones that actually fit!

I'd Ignore any advise towards a particular brand - what fits me ain't gonna fit you and brands can vary enormously in terms of fit (Scarpa currently make one of the widest and one of the narrowest boots on the market).

I'd also ignore anything made by Brasher or Berghaus (great rucksacs, bad boots). I saw someone take apart a brand new pair of Brasher Hillmasters by hand - they were literally ripped to peices!

The best way to get good boots is to visit a shop that uses the 'Phil Oren Fitsystem' there are plenty of them around. They are mainly indepenent Shops but I think I met a few guys from the outdoors chain stores on one of the fitsystem courses.

http://www.fitsystembyphiloren.com/

The Fitsystem ensures you are buying a boot that fits the shape of your foot, and you should get a guarantee that if the boots are not comfortable they will be exchanged/refunded (even after you've worn them on the hill) - the shop I used to work at had this policy.

A 'Fitsystem' shop will also modify a boot to account for bunions, bursars, hammer toes etc. this should be done free of charge.

Also, get a set of superfeet footbeds fitted to your boots. When i was selling boots, if the customer took my advise towards boots, socks and footbed i would give then a guarantee of no blisters. There is no reason whatsoever for getting blisters.

Finally, don't get bogged down in argument about goretex/non-goretex or leather/fabric - if you don't like wet feet, your on the wrong site - and contrary to popular belief, fabric boots are generraly LESS breathable than Leather.

Hope this helps.
Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE