Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Matt this sounds a dream come true, I've got little feet and have to wear kids boots most of the time....and they aren't made to fit an adult shape.
Who's likely to sell these in Scotland and what sort of price are we talking?

Incidentally, I totally agree about the fit being more important than the make, but *names* matter to most teenagers and I think sometimes that's an excuse for badly fitting (one size range that fits no one very well) products and poor quality.

Cheers,
Toddy

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
Biddlesby, I don't know if you aware of the phenomenon that is bruised and missing toenails after a lengthy hill walking session ? When you do get your boots (good luck !?) even though you will undoubtedly wear them in, be prepared for the effects that rigourous mountainous terrain can have on your feet! Good advice to give 'em a proper pounding prior to any serious expedition ! ;)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Danners come in width fittings as well.....

I've had no grief at all with my mid cut Magnums. I only wear them when dog walking or when in shorts as my size 11 Danners mixed with my spindly legs resembles a pair of golf clubs... Plenty of polish and silicon seems to make them water resistant, and they're definitely comfy enough. I look after my boots and they are still in good nick. Agreed though, that the mids are useless on the mountains, but the other Hi Tec hiking boots are great value for money. I've used them for years and they last forever.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
A little of topic but I have good boots but old,

I have a long trip coming up and will be living in my boots so not sure if they will last,

Get new boots with only have a couple months to break in or take a chance on my old boots?

Any thoughts?

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Hi Toddy,

Check out http://www.anatom.co.uk/ to find supplier in your area. Anatom are involved in training for the Phil Oren Fitsystem in the UK and should be able to point you in the direction of a Qualified dealer. A Fitsystem dealer will fit you the best boot for you out of the range he carries.

Without wanting to point out individual brands, I probably fitted 60-70% of my customers into either a Zamberlan or Scarpa boot as their ranges cover the very narrow (Scarpa Peak/ Zamberlan Trail light) to the very wide (Scarpa Ranger) their ranges also go down to the equivalent of 3 in an adults boot. The rest of my customers were fitted with salomon or raichle.

interms of price for a decent boot, you could bag a bargin at oround £40-£50 in a sale, but a good full price boot witha good lifespan is definately going to be £90plus. Set aside £25-£30 for a good footbed - this is almost more important than the boot.

The bruised, battered and missing toenails situation is totally avoidable with a correct fit. It is only ever due to either Boots are too short, Boots are too wide or their is excessive biomechanical movement (called pronation) of the foot (this effects around 90% of us to some degree).

When buying a boot, remove the insole and stand on it in the socks you will be walking in - there should be a good 6-8mm of insole sticking out the end of your longest toe - this means that the boot is the right length. Replacing this cheap and useless footbed with either a superfeet or a sidas footbed will ensure that any pronation of the foot is controlled. Pronation accounts for the majority of foot problems suffered by urbanised people.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the link and the information. I don't grudge the money for a decent pair of boots, I've got 4 pairs that *all* hurt my feet some way or other and not one of those cost me under £90 :( The only pair that I can wear day in day out with no problems are a pair of kids leather Hi-Tecs but they've had so much hard wear that the leather has gone soft and I really need two pairs of heavy socks to fit the boots now. It makes them far too hot in summer or when I'm working hard though.
Cheers,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Research shows that deaths in the mountains are usually the result of falls and slips, not exposure. So consider the soles carefully.

I would prefer Vibram soles - they are not the market leaders for nothing. They make various patterns, but for mountain use the M4 sole unit has a very aggressive tread pattern and gives great security on steep ground - much, much better than 'commando' type soles.

In the hills I wear my 8 year old Scarpa Manta M4 boots, and love them. An updated model is still being made, and consistently comes top/near the top in magazine gear reviews. They are stiff enough to take a crampon, so can be used all year round. Downsides are they are a bit stiff for road walking, and cost about 150 quid. Heavier than modern fabric boots too.

For lowland/casual use I've just replaced my old Timberlands (despite the name, they are better suited to the catwalk than the forest, but they were hard wearing and comfortable nevertheless) with a pair of Hi-Tec Apex. This has a vibram sole and an eVent waterproof membrane - allegedly better than goretex. So far very comfy and not sweaty - I think the claims for eVent may be true. I am sure they would be suitable for 3 season hill use. Too early to comment on durability. Available for £60 to £70.

I have also seen karrimor ksb fabric boots with eVent lining, and Tisos have a good deal on Crispi Osprey fabric boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE