Boot market buys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Got myself these three axe heads (they will soon be having new Ash handles made) from Brighton marina boot market. One has what looks like No1 on it so is probably a Gilpin the smaller one is made in Czechoslovakia with a makers mark of what looks like an anvil, the other has no makers mark but is unusual as it has a slide in metal wedge that is held in place by two screws.
Hoping to clean these up and get them shaving sharp when time permits.
Thanks for looking.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks fellas, I quite like the smaller one as it would make a good camp axe, it is not light in weight.
The wedged one is interesting Stew mate, when they are all sporting new handles there will be Twenty in the workshop.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Never seen a wedged hatchet like that. Reminds me of the feathers and wedges used to split stone blocks back in the day. Looks like it's long enough to provide the handle with some protection against missed blows with the poll, too.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods

All finished now, I carved the handles for the bottom two axes, one in Elm and one in Ash, the smaller axe had a handle from some old stock.

Thanks for looking.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks Stew mate, I have used the middle one and it is a pleasure to use, the handle is from a round of Elm I got hold of and stored in my garage workshop, it dried out nicely, going to get at least a dozen handles from it, the tools used to make the handles were an axe, draw knife and my main knife user.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
i really like that middle one. The shape of the head, the hint of the age from patina and dings, the handle shape and warmth of the wood.

Spot on. :D

Ditto that looks like a stunning axe that, love the grain of the elm too, really nice looking axes you've got there :)

Also didn't know there was a boot market in brighton marina, will have to pop down there sometime..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE