Boot making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I spent the better part of my time off this week making a pair of boots. The project started off innocently enough as most boot projects do. With the pieces all laid out, I figured I would be done in a few hours. All the bits and bobs later it really did not go so fast as I remembered.
DSCF1031_zpsee365d42.jpg

The boots are a fusion of different styles and are made to be infinitely repairable. Pretty much any of the complicated parts can be ripped off and a new one put on. Normally I make modern style boots but the look I was going for was rustic to say the least. I had looked at some historical patterns but wanted to put vibram soles on this pair so I Frankenstein'ed some old and modern styles.
DSCF1034_zps4fe11870.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to get the vibram soles professionally glued on which is why they look like duck feet right now with the wide sole. The boot guy likes a little lip to clamp to which he grinds down after the fact. When they come back I will have to decide how I want to finish them.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Those are brilliant mate

goodjob

I really like the antler toggles as well

looking forward to seeing them with the soles on

Thanks for sharing

atb

Craig

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
The antler was the part where I cheated and used a power drill to make the buttons. The rest was all hand cut, hand stitched, and kitchen crafted.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I really like them. I have a pair similar. They are over 30 years old, but only get worn around the campfire and are very comfy.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great-looking pair of boots Lloyd, a thing I just can't get my head 'round, bootmaking.................be sure to let us see the finished article.....atb mac

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I put on my thickest wool socks and wore them in the shower and walked around until the leather was dry to shape them. So... they fit like a glove. I still need to soften them a bit once they come back from the boot guy.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Taking orders?

Best.

C.

I would help someone with a DIY project make their own but it is way cheaper to find someone that machine sews. By the time I pay myself for time I am pretty astronomical in price. That said, I can usually do patterns in the mail for the cost of a stamp.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Those are AMAZING, and all hand cut and sewn too! Now that's impressive. VERY well done, can't wait to see the finished item. I would send you a PM about the pattern but this area of leather work is already several yards outside of my comfort zone.

Just amazing chap! Great job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE