boot care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
I did a search on this but could find anything. I need to clean my boots and was wondering what the sort or stuff people use? I've heard that some kinds of polish can rot the stitching on your boots and that natural bees wax is better. Can anyone recommend a good wax or anything?

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
Used kiwi's polish on my issued boots for years With no problems, nail brush and water to clean, the wipe over to dry and a layer of polish, leave to dry and buff.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I did an experiment when I was in my 20's. On two identical pair of boots I took care of one pair with shoe polish and the stitching rotted in 5 years of hard wear. The second pair I just brushed the mud from the barn yard off and put nothing on them. The leather rotted out in 7 years.

I started using Kocholine after that and it did not rot the stitches. It did darken the leather significantly though not that I have ever cared.
memimages.php

http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product_details.html?cid=MQ&pid=NA==

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Kiwi, rogue leather food, leader gris, mink oil paste, dubbin or whatever I can borrow, I do prefer something that doesn't leave too much sticky oils onn the surface as I find it picks up and holds dust.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nikwax. I wore right through the soles and uppers of my old Timberlands....stitching was still solid

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
The main two culprits that eat stitching are neatsfoot oil and petroleum based products. Stuff based on bees wax and mineral oil are typically pretty good.

Even neatsfoot oil can be used safely if you wipe off all the excess every time and clean out any stitching grooves with a dry cloth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE