Fjallraven - Kaipack G1000 Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scubajunky

Nov 2, 2022
Anglesey
Bought this a year ago and have used their Greenland wax on it. Very disappointed with this jacket to be honest. Grossly overpriced. Got soaked every time I wore it. Did add some sports wax to it to try and improve the waterproofing and it made it worse.
I'm considering either using silicone/ white spirit to waterproof it or another wax combo. Can anyone recommend a strategy please.
Luckily I got it at half price but even so I still think it's way over priced.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Bought this a year ago and have used their Greenland wax on it. Very disappointed with this jacket to be honest. Grossly overpriced. Got soaked every time I wore it. Did add some sports wax to it to try and improve the waterproofing and it made it worse.
I'm considering either using silicone/ white spirit to waterproof it or another wax combo. Can anyone recommend a strategy please.
Luckily I got it at half price but even so I still think it's way over priced.

You buy a non-waterproof jacket and then complain you got soaked in rain? Seems like the issue is with your choice and prep not the jacket.

Don't bother ruinning the jacket by coating it in slicone. Simply take a light waterproof with you in pack instead like a Frog Toggs. If you know in advance it's going to rain heavy take better waterproof with you.

scubajunky

Nov 2, 2022
Anglesey
Well fool me for expecting a wax jacket to keep me dry or at least shower proof !!
Knowing I could wax it I assumed that it would keep me at least shower proof.
Why do people pay £250 for a jacket that doesn't even keep you dry ? I got it at half price and I'm still annoyed with it. Is there a different wax mix which will keep me dry ?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you wash it using Nikwax Cottonproof and follow the instructions, that should improve things on the proofing front. None of the Fjallraven jackets in the many iterations of G1000 are waterproof - merely showerproof. If they - and you - do get soaked through, it does at least dry very quickly. I have found that their Greenland wax does work well though, to maintain the jacket's 'breathability' and therefore comfort, you need to apply it strategically - perhaps on the hood, shoulders and upper arms, maybe most of the front - that sort of thing.

Fjallraven's stuff is expensive but I have found it to be practical and hardwearing, which takes some of the sting out of the price tag. If you want a more reasonable alternative, Garphyttan stuff is a very good alternative.

scubajunky

Nov 2, 2022
Anglesey
If you wash it using Nikwax Cottonproof and follow the instructions, that should improve things on the proofing front. None of the Fjallraven jackets in the many iterations of G1000 are waterproof - merely showerproof. If they - and you - do get soaked through, it does at least dry very quickly. I have found that their Greenland wax does work well though, to maintain the jacket's 'breathability' and therefore comfort, you need to apply it strategically - perhaps on the hood, shoulders and upper arms, maybe most of the front - that sort of thing.

Fjallraven's stuff is expensive but I have found it to be practical and hardwearing, which takes some of the sting out of the price tag. If you want a more reasonable alternative, Garphyttan stuff is a very good alternative.
Thanks for your helpful response, I am going to try another mix of Wax, 50% Beeswax and 50 % Greenland wax. Failing that I might try the Nikwax.
Thanks again.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I bought a sarma smock from varusteleka, and have been waxing it with their own wax (vateleeva)not sure what mix it is but I have concentrated more on the hood, shoulders and back and its more than showerproof now, buy a lot heavier.

I know its not the same materials or brand, but I have been impressed with their wax to say the least. The Greenland wax of the same size block feels less dense to me in comparison and the bar is lighter weight?

Reactions: scubajunky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE