Boot Buying Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After having a good read through the forums, there seems to be plenty or people with lots of experience that could point me in the right direction :)

I am looking for a new pair of boots. Mainly for dog walking and a little hiking/hill walking. I currently use my Le chameau wellies most of the winter and Aigle boots in the summer. My wellies are great but are better for the rough shoot than the walk. The Agile boots are not very good at all. I don't think I want all leather boots but would consider if perfect for the job. My budget is around £100-£150. Any thoughts? Thanks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I also wear Scarpas and mine have lasted me over ten years so far! They are built to last. Remeber to buy after lunch time and take the socks you will normally wear with the boots. Then your feet will have expanded from walking about to their normal size and you won't have tight fitting boots.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
If you'd consider something a bit more off the beaten track, take a look at a pair of Lundhags.
Their 'Scout' model comes in within your budget. Lundhags have their own website with detailed advice on sizing, and Tamarack stock them in UK and would exchange if you got the wrong size.
In a similar vein, check out the various 'Bean Boots' at LLBean.com

Due to various reasons I've had several operations on my ankles and feet to straighten them out since a baby and consequently have had a hugley expensive time buying boots to fit. I've literally wasted several hundred pounds over the years in an attempt find good fitting and comfortable boots.

I think the advice here given is spot on

For years I tried Berghaus, Scarpa, Zamberlain etc etc with no success and ended up wearing combat boots as they were availabe in 3 widths...(don't know if they still are or not), but for serious walking I ended up with Karmor KSB's size 45 a perfect fit. I ended up buying a Karimor Anatomically Directed Design boot made by Garmont I believe and these were the most comfortable boots I've ever had on and I wore the soles out twice (got them resoled).

Anatomically Directed Designed was a new concept in boot design and I believe Garmont developed it, not sure if they are still available or not but the difference in comfort between ADD karimors and normal karimor ksbs were unbeleivable.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Remember, dog walking, one hour or more a day 365 days / year will wear your boots out much faster than a hiking weekend / month.

All the boots suggested are great boots but quite pricey.

I find regular squaddie boots tough, grippy and cheap to replace.

They don't suit every ones feet but if like me you're one of the lucky ones you won't do much better for the money.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
It depends what you're after I love my Altbergs, they are really comfortable, right out the box.

For occassions where I expect my boots are going to get trashed, I have a pair of cheap squaddie type boots that I can wear with a pair (or couple of pairs) of socks and my MVP socks and not care too much about what happens to them. I found adding a gel in-sole upped the comfort level a lot, to the point where I can happily wear them all day without problems.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I will be buying some Altbergs when I can get up there.......but... I have had a great deal of use out of my KSB 's and they are well comfy. I was a bit sceptical of them being fabric but I nixwax them regularly and I was out for 4hrs in snow on sunday wet legs but dry feet.
Just an easy option as Blacks do them and I have seen them as low as £25 on the net.
Dunno might be worth a look.
Dave

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If you'd consider something a bit more off the beaten track, take a look at a pair of Lundhags.
Their 'Scout' model comes in within your budget. Lundhags have their own website with detailed advice on sizing, and Tamarack stock them in UK and would exchange if you got the wrong size.
In a similar vein, check out the various 'Bean Boots' at LLBean.com

I'll second the lundhags scout.. Made some 35+ km a day for five days, not a blister, not a problem with my feet. Not so stylish or military looking, but real hardwearing, with no lining, padding and whatnot to fail, rot or chafe.

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
Another thing about Altbergs (and written from someone with a high opinion of Scarpa and Zamberlan: the not only last for years but you can get them resoled and rebuilt as necessary.

Cheers

Mike

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've been knocking seven bells out of my Lowas since November with no problems whatsoever.
I do also have Scarpa (non g-tex)- excellent,Le Chameaux- excellent,Karrimor ksb suede-excellent for summer.
I've Brasher gtx but their size 8 is a bit 'pinchy',so use them like a 'dress' pair.
I've some others..Raichle-ok and other Scarpas that are permanately attached to 'yeti gaiters'.

My advice..Lowa,Altberg,Le Cham' or Scarpa.

P.s.
You don't really need g-tex in a good leather boot and a good leather boot IS what you need.

Jan 25, 2007
south coast
i would suggest the altbergs. The range is hugge and the after care excellent although its pricey posting them back for a refurb.

i wear mine 10hrs a day in alll weather and ground conditions from tarmac to open country.

Add a superfeet insole and you will be laughing

I think the most important things to remember is to forget makes and size. Go for a boot that fits, doesn't matter what make it is and what size it says on the box, just make sure it fits.

I have a pair of Scarpa Manta M4 which say they are a size 43, and they are the mutts. I also have Scarpa ZG65's which say they are a 42. I also have a pair of Raichle All Degree Lites which say they are a size 9.5. I also have several pairs of Assault boots in size 8, and a pair of Matterhorns in an 8, the Matterhorns are a lovely pair of boots but the fit for my foot shape isn't that good, even after breaking them in. The assault boots are very comfortable for my foot shape and I love them.

When you get to the shop, take your thick (Wool!)socks and like someone else said, try boots in the afternoon when your feet are at their biggest. And when you have the boot on, jam your toes into the toebox at the front and if the boot is the right size, you should be able to get your finger between your heel and the back of the boot. Don't rush or feel pressured into buying what the sales assistant gives you, you have to try lots of different boots and different sizes before making your mind up.

As for goretex in a boot, I like the idea, but my Scarpa Manta's aren't goretex and they were perfect during a recent trip out to Norway. The Raichle and the ZG65's are goretex and they're good as well. The Assault boots get the Sealskins socks used with them without problems.

Hope this helps

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm a great believer in the adage "an ounce on the foot is like a pound on the back", probably misquoted, but you get my meaning.

I would advise you to go for the minimum level of support you need for the terrain you will be walking. A few of the boots listed above will be bomb-proof. But they will be heavy and rigid and wear you out unless you are on the kind of terrain that really needs that kind of boot.

My summer boot is a Brasher Supalite, which is phenomenally light and ideal for UK non-mountain walking. I have snowboots for snowshoeing and a recently departed pair of Scarpa M3s were for high-country use where crampons and extra support might occasionally be needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE