Boot advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I am off to Norway in January and am looking to buy some new boots. Any advice on what to look for? I am assuming I am going to need a winter boot for snow etc. But other than that I have no idea. I currently have a pair of Lowa's that are quite warm but I dont know if they will be good enough.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Use ones that arn't too tight mate...I went to Montana a few years ago and wore my usual hanwag walking boots.....It went down to -34 and my feet got damn cold...Trouble was the boots fitted me great, but with extra socks on, it was too tight and so there was no room for trapped warm air...Normal waterproof walking boots should do you ok, so long you have plenty of room inside them for extra socks....

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
which lowas do u own .i would of thought the goretex lined combat mountain boots would be ok but some of the russian military boots are good too

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
I am off to Norway in January and am looking to buy some new boots. Any advice on what to look for? I am assuming I am going to need a winter boot for snow etc. But other than that I have no idea. I currently have a pair of Lowa's that are quite warm but I dont know if they will be good enough.
Hi,
January in Norway is going to be rather chilly. When I was there in the late eighties I used Lundhags which were recommended by a mate. They were simply superb. You adjust the insulating effect with extra socks but the outside of the foot is rubber so they are waterproof.
I haven't had a pair since then but I'm told they are even better now. Not cheap but the best kit for a cold climate.
Tamarack keep them in stock. (www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk).
Tack

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire

Ok, depending on where in norway you're of to, there is a lot of alternatives (huge difference between finnmarksvidda and oslomarka). But seriuously skip the gore-tex military boots, there crap in winter (IMO the rest of the year to). They get clammy and the midsole has less then admirable insulation capacity. I've done military service above the arctic circle and lived on spitzbergen for 9 months, so I know how cold your feet can get. It needs to be repeated: skip the military gore-tex boots in winter! (I still have problems because of my meindl performance I used in the army)

If you're going buchcrafting I hope you've understood that much of norway will be covered in snow during this time of year, and hence skis are a good idea. That just leaves skiing boots really (not just, there is a veritable ocean of models there to).

If your going on foot (as opposed to the recommended skis) I would recommend a high all leather hiking hunting boot with no membrane and a couple of sizes to big so you can fill it with thick high quality woolen socks. If you're going above the tree line or arctic circle consider a double boot, i.e. an removable warm inner boot. Lundhags makes some nice models which work fine during winter (and summer to). Insulation that can't be removed is not an option since it takes forever to remelt it ones it's frozen, (if your sleeping out they will freeze) an uninsulated leather boot takes little time to reheat.

If I had the money I would go for the Jörn antifreeze model:
anti_freeze.jpg

Cellular rubber foot, all leather upper, and woolen felt inner boot, but still comfortable to walk in. This is IMHO the perfect cold weather boot. It is more walking friendly then e.g. sorels different versions.

EDIT: Tack was a couple of minutes faster..

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Its in the telemark region and we wont be skiing - its a primitive skills course. Looks like boots are gonna be the most expensive part for the weeks course :(

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Its in the telemark region and we wont be skiing - its a primitive skills course. Looks like boots are gonna be the most expensive part for the weeks course :(
I'm thinking the same thing (December course) - It's gonna be lots of cash for something that probably won't get used again (well not in the UK) - and we don't have the luxury of trying any of the kit out in advance to see if it works :eek:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Lundhags every time. They're incredibly comfortable and allow a number of layers of socks underneath. The boxy toe is extremely good for keeping the circulation to your pinkies going, the curvature of the sole makes walking a breeze AND they're light and brilliant in summer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE